Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with family tree

Options
  • 28-05-2010 8:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Ok, well here I am again. I'm now doing my grandmothers tree and have got back to 1891 when hugh henry my great grandfather marries bridget higgins. This is when we think he converted. But as I am a member of emerald ancestors I went in and searched hugh henry and got 8 births one in ballymoney and one in coleraine and the others in magrafelt, so I clicked on the coleraine one and came up hugh henry parents Samuel henry. Then I went into deaths and found him but it seems there's another hugh henry in garvagh! And since he has no dob how can I find out who is parents are as this could get us further?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you got the civil cert for Hugh and Bridget's marriage? That will say their fathers' names. The address on the cert may also help to narrow it down. If there is still more than one at that stage, you may be looking at same named cousins. Background research into all strains will help you link up the right people.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Have you got the civil cert for Hugh and Bridget's marriage? That will say their fathers' names. The address on the cert may also help to narrow it down. If there is still more than one at that stage, you may be looking at same named cousins. Background research into all strains will help you link up the right people.

Is there anway of getting this info without having to order the marriage certificate as we did this before and it cost like £30 and took ages to come. Is ther any alternative websites

Owenc,

I don't know what service you used but you were ripped off. I have detailed how to order in the sticky at the top of the forum but briefly: you can download the form from the GRO website, fill in your credit card details and fax or send a cheque in the post. It costs a whole €6.

Pinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

Dosnt matter now I got someone to go into ancestry.co.uk to confirm the parent! Hurray!! Thanks for your help

owenc wrote: »
    Dosnt matter now I got someone to go into ancestry.co.uk to confirm the parent! Hurray!! Thanks for your help

Sorry, just before you go, I've got another problem for you. I'm tracing my own family tree and have come to a complete stop at my great 3x grandfather, we've been to his grave and he was born in 1810 and died at 1895, that's what we know so, when we go and look for his birth we cannot find anything not even in family search. So we tried to look for a marriage but we couldn't find anything either nor on the grave, so now we are completly stuck , the church he may have been born in was not built , but the one he is buried in was built well before but don't have record of his birth, we think he was botn over the mountain as cousins etc all came from there and he baptised his daughter there. Is there any way at all of finding his parents and birth certificate? We looked in libary but he wasn't there because possible church was not built and there's no baptisim for him in the church he's buried in.

• Advertisement

Again, have a read of the stickies. There are no birth certificates before 1864 so if you don't know the church, you'll just have to try all the churches in the area. He was probably married before they began registering marriages too. People often got married in the bride's parish, which might explain why there's no marriage in the obvious church. 1810 is good going for Ireland, but it's probably the end of the road based on what you have already tried.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Again, have a read of the stickies. There are no birth certificates before 1864 so if you don't know the church, you'll just have to try all the churches in the area. He was probably married before they began registering marriages too. People often got married in the bride's parish, which might explain why there's no marriage in the obvious church. 1810 is good going for Ireland, but it's probably the end of the road based on what you have already tried.

Well, i went and asked the same people to try and find anything on ancestry.com, and they came back with his birth and his mother and wife, the only problem is there is no father, so we have no way of finding that out, and as you said earlier that you could get the boys father on the marriage certificate, and if they know the his wife, is this possible were would you go, its for a presbyterian marriage aswell so maybe they are earlier. where would you go to get that??

Why don't you ask the people on Ancestry?! For non-Catholic marriages, there are certs from 1845 but his parents would have been married long before that. A church record is the only thing likely to show a mother's name. Are you sure what you're getting from Ancestry is correct? There's almost no Irish records on it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Why don't you ask the people on Ancestry?! For non-Catholic marriages, there are certs from 1845 but his parents would have been married long before that. A church record is the only thing likely to show a mother's name. Are you sure what you're getting from Ancestry is correct? There's almost no Irish records on it.

Well, what do you suggest is the reason why ancestry.com has her name and not hers for? I shall ask them but they will probably not have anything for his father but i shall see, hopefully fingers crossed.

Advertisement