Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance after drink driving conviction

Options
  • 11-01-2019 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi I am due back my licence in March after spending two years off the road for driving under the influence.
    I was "bagged" on a Monday morning after 9am and still a high reading of 57mg per 100ml of blood.
    get a solicitor straight away,he/she will put your mind at ease.they will talk you through what happens next.
    I was driving for over a year after being "bagged" legally of course,waiting on court dates and garda availability.
    It really is a "shameful" time of your life but as the garda said nobody was killed and learn from it!! Well my time is done now and I would really appreciate recommendations for insurance. Thanks and drive safely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just try as many as possible and brokers also.

Quote devil state they take on those with previous convictions.

It's going to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

XS Direct might give you a quote, as the name states, there's a large excess on the policy but at least they might give you a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 40 gledge

Request a quotation from three insurers, if all three decline you the first one whom declined you has a legal responsibility to quote you under MIBI guidelines. Get in touch with the MIBI for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

A quick google reveals that there are plenty of Brokers out there that will insure you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=insurance+with+convictions+Ireland

The quote will be high. How high depends on your age, year experience and any other claims you might have had.

I've "heard" they investigate how much you were over too
    Were you supposed to be under 20mg (novice driver) or under 50mg (experienced driver) etc
    This is just something I was told by someone though and could be bullsh*t

Like you said, no one died. Learn and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cathalachs

Jesus!! alot of insurers out there,no doubt big variation in prices also.
    Thanks for all the replies,if you are one of the 1000 drivers arrested over the xmas period you probably are a bit down over the situation,it is a tough lesson, but it is not a life sentence!!keep the faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Out of curiosity what exactly puts you over the limit nowadays? Is it one bottle of beer?

Varies per person,weight,height, food but 1pt takes 2 hours to be out of your system!
    Safer now not to have any drink if driving.This at the end of the day is the message being sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

gledge wrote: »
    Request a quotation from three insurers, if all three decline you the first one whom declined you has a legal responsibility to quote you under MIBI guidelines. Get in touch with the MIBI for more details.

The MIBI do not deal with this. You need the Declined Cases Committee in Insurance Ireland

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

PCros wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what exactly puts you over the limit nowadays? Is it one bottle of beer?

My advice to anyone is: If you're going to have a drink, even if it's just one, don't drive. (whats the point in having one anyway?)

If you had a heavy night, leave the car in the driveway the next day til at least midday.

I'm 16 Stone and 6 foot tall. One drink probably wouldn't put me over, but it's not worth the hassle/risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

grahambo wrote: »
    whats the point in having one anyway?

The sole purpose of drinking is not to get drunk.

Some people can happily leave it as one just because they like the drink they're having.

In fairness you're not gonna sit down and have 10 cokes unless you have a sugar addiction or you're a bit strange like Donald Trump. Usually one can/bottle of coke will do it for most people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Wouldwork

Cathalachs wrote: »
    Hi I am due back my licence in March after spending two years off the road for driving under the influence.
    I was "bagged" on a Monday morning after 9am and still a high reading of 57mg per 100ml of blood.
    get a solicitor straight away,he/she will put your mind at ease.they will talk you through what happens next.
    I was driving for over a year after being "bagged" legally of course,waiting on court dates and garda availability.
    It really is a "shameful" time of your life but as the garda said nobody was killed and learn from it!! Well my time is done now and I would really appreciate recommendations for insurance. Thanks and drive safely.

In similar sort of situation myself - back in May. You certainly change as a result. I d be v interested to hear how you get on or go with. It's a tough lesson to learn, but despite the guilt, shame etc I 've used it to make positive changes so I 'll gladly accept what comes my way in order to get back driving.

Was on to first Ireland there for a quote after serving my two years.
    To drive a Toyota corrolla 1.4 90bhp it's the brake horse power they use to arrive at a quote.
    It will be €1200 for third party fire & theft.
    It will come down after year 1.
    Alot to get started again,it sure is a lesson none of you want to have to experience.
    Safe & Sober driving!☹

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Cathalachs wrote: »
    Was on to first Ireland there for a quote after serving my two years.
    To drive a Toyota corrolla 1.4 90bhp it's the brake horse power they use to arrive at a quote.
    It will be €1200 for third party fire & theft.
    It will come down after year 1.
    Alot to get started again,it sure is a lesson none of you want to have to experience.
    Safe & Sober driving!☹
    It makes me sick the way insurance companies treat people I was paying 1200 to insurance a 320cd 05 full no claims for 5 years and you after drink driving is paying the same madness

That's an absolute sweet quote.... Don't leave it long they must have been smoking something....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Whocare wrote: »
    It makes me sick the way insurance companies treat people I was paying 1200 to insurance a 320cd 05 full no claims for 5 years and you after drink driving is paying the same madness

Sounds like you're still a bigger risk.. That's what the actuaries calculated anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

That's an absolute sweet quote.... Don't leave it long they must have been smoking something....

Well someone who isn't me was quoted a 100% loading when they got back on the road..

I think the key is not to be off the road for over 2 years, as then you'll lose you NCB, resulting in a premium twice as high for at least 1 year, plus a loading of 100% on your renewal.. In other words, a quadruple premium.

So whether you get a 2 year ban, or a 3 year ban and get your licence restored after 2, (1) don't cancel your insurance, just let it lapse and hold onto your NCB cert from your renewal letter. (2) get back on the road within 2 years.

I've been paying up to €2k.

This is the 1st year it's dropped.

I had fully comp covered on anything they took it off me and would only insure 3rd party.

Price actually increased oh and they took my dad off the policy.

This year it's €1700 full
    Or
    €1380 3rd party

Trade policy.

No claims whatsoever against me and driving since 2001 no lapse in insurance only last year couldn't get it for 2 weeks....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement