Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015, Mod Note in OP 7/6

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    She's right though. Did you see Barcelona in the champions league final? Embarrassing antics.

It could just as easily have been a cultural thing. Anyway, the point is, would a fan of women's football appreciate reducing their game to generalisations? I don't think they would.
    "A male striker would have scored that"," a male goalkeeper would have saved that". Don't think that would take too long before it started to grate.

Women's football has examples of poor behaviour just as men's does. The Man City v Birmingham game in March is one, violent conduct, surrounding the referee. I'm also sure there have been instances when men's teams have accepted poor decisions, football doesn't merely exist in the premier league or champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We don't appreciate it but that doesn't seem to matter to people making those comments anyway. It happens every single time a discussion comes up involving women's football. It's a rare occasion when it gets turned on its head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Very very soft penalty, hometown decision imo.

Especially since the Chinese player was first to the ball, you wouldn't see that foul given outside the box most of the time not to mention a last minute game winning penalty.

The GF is Chinese, she's asking me where the nearest Ukrainian embassy is...I think she's joking, but I'm not 100% sure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

fryup wrote: »
    most importantly........

..........any nice looking fillys ??
    wadacrack wrote: »
    no goal yet..ffs only watching so they get their kit off..get ur t*its out for the lads,,get your ...

A note for everyone - these kind of posts/sentiments are to be knocked on the head in this thread. No more warnings, cards and bans may be issued and posts deleted.

Netherlands and New Zealand playing now. Nil nil after 15 mins.

One of the problems this World Cup will have, in any breakthrough for peoples interest in women's football, is the time a lot of the games are on at for European audiences. Young fans in particular will be very limited to what games they get to see in the group stages, and even onto the later rounds. One game at best most days.

I'd imagine the later games will be on at later local times i.e around now (2am here). Group games tomorrow looking at Eurosport at 7pm and Germany at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Netherlands and New Zealand playing now. Nil nil after 15 mins.

One of the problems this World Cup will have, in any breakthrough for peoples interest in women's football, is the time a lot of the games are on at for European audiences. Young fans in particular will be very limited to what games they get to see in the group stages, and even onto the later rounds. One game at best most days.

Isn't that the nature of any world championship (in any sport). You can only be perfect timing for one of the major population blocs (Europe/Africa/MidEast, Americas, CentralEastAsia&Oceania) and the other two have to make an effort to watch.

All England's group games are on at a reasonable hour, so I'll have no excuse to avoid watching them underachieve. Had high hopes after Powell was given the boot, but still don't look capable of beating any of the really top teams. Even though they are ranked 5th in the world!

Isn't that the nature of any world championship (in any sport). You can only be perfect timing for one of the major population blocs (Europe/Africa/MidEast, Americas, CentralEastAsia&Oceania) and the other two have to make an effort to watch.

Oh absolutely, just saying it makes it more difficult to build interest in the game in Europe for this specific championship.

• Advertisement

Netherlands just scored a cracker

https://twitter.com/kileybatchelor/status/607361503185010688

One nil at half time.

Edit: Finished one nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Norway V Thailand starting now on BBC red button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bad keeping there

Nicely worked goal there for Norway, 2-0

Yeah nice goal

Norway look an excellent side. Thailand (or Taiwan according to Emma Byrne:) ) not so much - very small.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Norway look an excellent side. Thailand (or Taiwan according to Emma Byrne:) ) not so much - very small.

Is she doing the co-commentary on Eurosport?

Is this Thailand's first WC?

Brilliant goal!

The Thai girls made it far too easy for the crosser. Great cross though!

Shocking defending for Norway's third

Shocking defending for Norway's third

They can't tackle for their lives.

That would have been a class 4th if it wasn't offside

kfallon wrote: »
    Is she doing the co-commentary on Eurosport?

Yup, with Jon Driscoll. Good pair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

dfx- wrote: »

Thank you - I thought I was hearing things there. Shes done it twice now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

All too easy for Norway, Thailand will be the goal difference bonanza for teams in this group. Can see Germany battering them as well.

19 year old Hegerberg scores the fourth

Really nice finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Women vs Girls out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Women vs Girls out there
    I think the Ivory coast in in danger of being on the end of a seriously bad scoreline here. The Germans should already be 4 or 5 goals up, and there's only 20 minutes gone. They just have no idea about the basics of defending.

What a goal that was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ref showing some mercy there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Keepr got away there without a red!

Edit - generous bloody corner too!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I don't think it was a red to be honest. The ball ran far too much away from Sasic for her to reach had she got past the keeper, meaning it wasn't an "obvious goal-scoring opportunity".

The German defending is quite suspect at times though, considering they're up against the lowest ranked team in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

10 for the Germans, no easing off the way the men did against Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What destroys the credibility of women's football is the astonishingly bad goal keeping.

Not just in this game, but in general.

Germany 10-0 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The missus turned the game on here at 6-0,it's now 10-0.

Think Norway and Germany might just scrape out of that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The crazy thing is that if the Ivory Coast beat Thailand, they may still get through to the second round via the best 3rd place spots. The top 4 of 6 get through.

The crazy thing is that if the Ivory Coast beat Thailand, they may still get through to the second round via the best 3rd place spots. The top 4 of 6 get through.

It'll be interesting to see how bad the 3rd 4th teams are in other groups. Would be more likely Thailand beat Ivory Coast but your point stands. Just looking at the rankings, Thailand are one place above Ireland in them, in 29th, Ivory Coast are WAY down in 67th, one above Northern Ireland. Fifa rankings are normally crap though, so don't know why I'm even mentioning them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Welcome to the 24 team comp when you are going to 16 after the group stage, same will happen next summer during the Euro's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Sweden - Nigeria looking like a good game, evenly matched so far, but different styles. Both getting at the opposition defence, end to end.

Nigeria aren't taking their chances

20 year old Oshoala of Nigeria plays for Liverpool and was voted the BBC Women's Player of the Year. The list of competitors was Nadine Kessler, Marta, Kim Little and Veronica Boquete

Oshoala with a wonderful through ball and yet again, Nigeria don't take their chance.

• Advertisement

Nigeria need to learn how to defend corners :-) Other than that, they have been the better team. Sweden's goalkeeper looks very good, that makes a huge difference.

Ffs, looks like I've missed a cracker of a game here :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Quality pass and finish for Nigerias third

Deserved equalizer, game of the tournament so far

I was kicked off the t.v at half time :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

cracking game that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Do england stand a chance against France 2mrw?

Cameroon look very impressive, very fast upfront. Ecuador, not good, very naive, three penalties.

Shane St. wrote: »
    Do england stand a chance against France 2mrw?

Haven't managed to beat them recently, its normally pretty tight, although saying that, England have lost their last 3 games (admittedly friendlies) in build up to World Cup pretty easily.

Reckon it will be a draw myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

it actually refreshing to see the women just get on with things and not dispute calls with the ref or dive etc. - tackle comes in they just bounce back up.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    it actually refreshing to see the women just get on with things and not dispute calls with the ref or dive etc. - tackle comes in they just bounce back up.

I was just saying this to a girl in work, it's very refreshing to see! Maybe in the bigger games later in the tournament this might change but it's been great so far!

• Advertisement
Advertisement