Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2015, mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

^^^^^ and Icelandic teams have had some impressive results over the last couple of years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

but equally Luxembourg is a Winter Season, so they'll be in preseason, compared to the likes of BATE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Who did UCD get? Stromsgodset would be a great away. Lovely little ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Great draw for Rovers, at least in terms of the supporters and club getting there handy. Going to be a great trip.

full draw for the Irish teams?

Cork City vs KR Reykjavik (Iceland)
    St Pats vs Skonto (Latvia)
    Progries (Luxembourg) vs Shamrock Rovers
    UCD vs Dudelange (Luxembourg)

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not sure how good the standard is in Iceland or Lux but those ties look very doable. Must check my schedule for the Cork home tie, I'd give that a watch.

Standard in Iceland is pretty decent. My team (Glenavon) were knocked out by an Icelandic team last season.

We got one of the Belarus sides this year. :( Well jealous of the Rovers and UCD fans and their handy trip travel wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

anncoates wrote: »
    Great draw for Rovers, at least in terms of the supporters and club getting there handy. Going to be a great trip.

It's a pity the home leg isn't second cos they could've let the UCD fan on with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

dfx- wrote: »
    maybe they'll be open to switching legs, Copenhagen wanted to. Presuming with their history against Bohs that they will not be complacent though.
    Dundalk officials just confirmed that the second leg will definitely be in Oriel Park. Maybe we can sell tickets for it before the first leg takes place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Should be doable for about 60 quid. Fly to Charleroi in belgium and get a train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CIGs15UW8AAOAtF.jpg

next draw, dunno about us beating Riga. We group 4.

Rovers got Sherif/ODDBALL

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Pats have debrecen (hun) or some Montenegro side if we beat skonto

Debrecen one of the best in Hungary.. Tough draw but 2 possible great away trips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Hopefully Dundalk will Bate Borisov.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Bate Borisov ony scored 13 goals in 10 games in their domstic league so not scoring much but have conceded 0, but Towell or Horgan could score a cracker or O'Donnell again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If we somehow manage to get by Dudelange, we'll almost certainly have Slovan Bratislava unless they have a monumental fcuk up against the Gibraltar team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

wadacrack wrote: »
    Bate Borisov ony scored 13 goals in 10 games in their domstic league so not scoring much but have conceded 0, but Towell or Horgan could score a cracker or O'Donnell again

Or Gartland/Boyle/Massey from a corner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Do dundalk know who they could face if they win

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Do Dundalk take BATE's seeding status if they go through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

One of my favourite days the past few years :(
    Could be a while before I get to enjoy it again.

First round looks doable for most of the EL teams. Two Norwegian teams, Odds and Rosenborg, in the next round for Cork and Shams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I think Pats and Rovers have a fairly decent chance of progression

Not the best draw for Cork, Icelandic club teams have started to come decent in the early rounds, be a tough trip

UCD will stuggle

Dundalk unlucky with the Draw, Bate are 10 times the team they were when they played Bohs in 03 and even then it took a quality Performace to overturn the 1-0 away defeat (Kenny In charge at time), brand new ground and Champions League Regulars, it would be the European result of Kenny's managerial career to knock them out. Hopefully oriel can play some part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Godot. wrote: »
    Do Dundalk take BATE's seeding status if they go through?

Think so. So if they somehow did get past BATE, there would be serious potential for them.

Now to hope one of the Irish channels show the game. Best bets are obviously with Setanta!

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    One of my favourite days the past few years :(
    Could be a while before I get to enjoy it again.

First round looks doable for most of the EL teams. Two Norwegian teams, Odds and Rosenborg, in the next round for Cork and Shams.
    Wouldn't fancy think Odds ballklub would neat Sheriff that well.. Close game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Wouldn't fancy think Odds ballklub would neat Sheriff that well.. Close game

you do english good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

you do english good

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

€220 flights, would have been cheaper but stung before with Berlin and game changes so had to wait.

Jaysis feel bad for the Rovers fans anyone book? Been there and it ****ing sucks.

CIIyAI-WEAAijLV.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Can't see Dundalk getting past BATE, but they'll give them a game.

Winnable ties for everyone else.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Jaysis feel bad for the Rovers fans anyone book? Been there and it ****ing sucks.

Me, like a sap. Wasn't too bad in the end but lesson learned.

All booked and ready to go now though. :pac:

All booked. :pac:

That's Progres

*applies for job with the Sun*

Me, like a sap. Wasn't too bad in the end but lesson learned.

All booked and ready to go now though. :pac:
    What airport are you flying in to? I'm not sure whether to go to Brussels or Charleroi and get a train from there or pay the bit extra to fly direct into Luxembourg for our game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I'll most likely head to the UCD and Pats home games. I enjoy seeing LOI teams in Europe.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I'll most likely head to the UCD and Pats home games. I enjoy seeing LOI teams in Europe.
    Good on ya :pac:
    I'd welcome any neutral support for our home game. We're the only Dublin team playing at home on Thursday week so the more the merrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Good on ya :pac:
    I'd welcome any neutral support for our home game. We're the only Dublin team playing at home on Thursday week so the more the merrier.
    ha just noticing the dates with ur post... actually in dublin, may drop down too. gonna miss a few harps games so have to do as a fix

What airport are you flying in to? I'm not sure whether to go to Brussels or Charleroi and get a train from there or pay the bit extra to fly direct into Luxembourg for our game.

Fly to Brussels, Cologne or Frankfurt and train or bus to Luxembourg. The Luxembourg flights from Dublin all look like having pretty long connections.

Maybe go on your club charter? Ours is costing about 360. Expensive but good fallback option.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

http://www.paddypower.com/football/football-matches/europa-league-coupon

All the LOI sides except UCD have a good chance of progression if the house is right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Think UCD have a fine chance of progressing actually.

Dundalk face the toughest task

I've gotten a train from Charleroi to Luxembourg before. It's comfortable, quick and cheap. You can drink cans on it too, perfect really! Bus from the airport to the train station costs a fiver and takes ten minutes.

Flying to Brussels would be easy too. Station is directly under the airport and you just change trains at Brussels Midi.

Are pats organising a charter?

Think UCD have a fine chance of progressing actually.

Dundalk face the toughest task
    I'd love to share your optimism and I hope you're right, but Dudelange will be massive favourites. They've got loads of European experience and beat Red Bull Salzburg to make the 3rd qualifying round of the Champions League recently.
    And I know it's "only" Luxembourg, but they have lots of players with senior international experience. Their keeper has played almost 70 times for Luxembourg and was in the team that beat Switzerland 2-1 (Granted it was in 2008). 5 of their players featured for Luxembourg in their Euro qualifier against Ukraine recently.

I hope we can pull off at least a draw at home so we'll have something to play for in the away game but I'd be amazed (and delighted) if we come out on top over 2 legs.

• Advertisement

Are pats organising a charter?

No need we in Riga so plenty of ways in and out. Charter usually means flying with the team so a longer stay.

Pats game on setanta this thurs

Crues boss Stephen Baxter will miss tonight’s Champions League opener due to a pre-arranged family holiday. Number two and former Crusaders favourite Jeff Spiers will take charge of the side.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/2015/06/30/news/coates-hopes-crues-have-physical-edge-154214/

jaysis......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

#2ndGreatestLeagueInTheWorld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

dreamers75 wrote: »
    That's unreal. I know a lot of supporters who would cancel their holidays at the drop of a hat for a Champions League game nevermind a manager. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Good luck to rovers tonight. Always like to see all the irish teams do well in europe

I am somewhat apprehensive about the game tonight. Mostly because I never trusted Fenlon in Europe from the outside to go kill a game off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

dfx- wrote: »
    I am somewhat apprehensive about the game tonight. Mostly because I never trusted Fenlon in Europe from the outside to go kill a game off.

Expect an attempt to win the tie with a 1-1 tonight and a 0-0 next Tuesday.

Any way of watching the game tonight?

SantryRed wrote: »
    Expect an attempt to win the tie with a 1-1 tonight and a 0-0 next Tuesday.

That's exactly what I'm wary of, especially with a team that can struggle to score goals and have happily sat back on a one goal lead plenty of times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement