Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Melion wrote: »
    Id be more worried about the irish fans embarassing the country by booing the English national anthem

They didn't even play it here in 1990 and 1995. I'm guessing they probably didn't play it in some/all Dublin games prior to that also. (46 57 64 76 78)

Whilst the rugby chaps are quite civilised about this sort of thing don't ya know, I wouldn't trust an Irish football crowd to be mature enough to respect it, even in 2012.

Either way I'd rather get England at the finals than a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

As and Englishman living in Ireland for the past 18 or so years i would love this match to take place.

I have Irish blood, married an Irish woman and have Irish kids. Taking my young lad to this match with him all in green and me in an England top would be great and I would only hope the stupid bigots from 95 are long gone. For him to see the cream of the EPL would be amazing.

I would hope that this would pass for a match of two good teams and neighbors without incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Beefy78 wrote: »
    From a football perspective there's very little to gain (as ****e as we usually are we will be favourites). Capello & Trap know eachother and how they play, the England players know the Irish players and how they play and personally I'd prefer England to use one of their very limited friendly fixtures to play a different style of team than Ireland are.

But away from that I think there's too much baggage around this fixture. I've lived here for a while now and took more abuse on Friday from random drunken idiots after the Estonia game than I have in the last two years put together. And not banter from mates - abuse from dickheads. I can't be arsed with six months of that in the build up to a match.

In a similar position , the ONLY time I ever get racist abuse is surrounding football.

I got dogs abuse ( as did my wife who is Irish ) when England played France in Euro 2004 , mainly from a prat wearing a Man U jersey !!

Got to the point I cannot watch England games in the pub at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Davidth88 wrote: »
    In a similar position , the ONLY time I ever get racist abuse is surrounding football.

I got dogs abuse ( as did my wife who is Irish ) when England played France in Euro 2004 , mainly from a prat wearing a Man U jersey !!

LOL I hope you pointed that out to him!

LOL I hope you pointed that out to him!

Ohhhhhh yes ..........

I have also seen stupid things like , Albania playing England , only being shown on Channel 5 . The only pub in Dublin with Channel 5 at the time was the ' Sports Bar ' in Temple bar where the Hard Rock is now .

Place was JAMMERs with England fans , I mean JAMMERS.

England 5 nil up ( I think ) Albania score a consolation ..... a prat of an Irish bloke starts screaming and jumping up and down in front of the screen like his county had scored the winning point in the last min of the All Ireland ........ you can imagine the reaction of the large crowd .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd say there would be little incident surronding this game. I for one wouldnt give two monkeys about what English fans did in '95 and I'd hope the majoirty of Irish fans would respect the English team and fans if there was a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

BrookieD wrote: »
    As and Englishman living in Ireland for the past 18 or so years i would love this match to take place.

I have Irish blood, married an Irish woman and have Irish kids. Taking my young lad to this match with him all in green and me in an England top would be great and I would only hope the stupid bigots from 95 are long gone. For him to see the cream of the EPL would be amazing.

I would hope that this would pass for a match of two good teams and neighbors without incident.

Eh Suarez, Silva, Van Der Vaart, Modric, Van Persie, Aguero, Hernandez, Nasri et al won't be playing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Unfortunately it's widespread here. I would cheer on England (if they are not playing Ireland) and I've similarly been pulled up a few times. And not nicely.

Expect the mong levels to reach critical here when Ireland are in a tornament as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

kfallon wrote: »
    Eh Suarez, Silva, Van Der Vaart, Modric, Van Persie, Aguero, Hernandez, Nasri et al won't be playing :P

good call there...LOL :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

gavredking wrote: »
    I'd say there would be little incident surronding this game. I for one wouldnt give two monkeys about what English fans did in '95 and I'd hope the majoirty of Irish fans would respect the English team and fans if there was a friendly.

i dont see any difference between playing england and anyone else...no big deal the match should be treated like any other friendly.
    i think in 95 there was a NI loyalist and British National Front element stirring the brown stuff. Hopefully those clowns will be kept away this time.

• Advertisement

i dont see any difference between playing england and anyone else...no big deal the match should be treated like any other friendly.
    i think in 95 there was a NI loyalist and British National Front element stirring the brown stuff. Hopefully those clowns will be kept away this time.

If the English FA can manage there allocation and distrbute the tickets to the correct sources there will be no trouble at the game. In fairness the English fans travel better now a days then they used too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

So long as it starts in the 22nd minute 1-0 to Ireland, I see no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

its a long way to go yet...anything can happen........what happens if estonia win 0-5 tomorrow night....:eek:.....
    assuming that does not happen well then, assuming its 4 strikers.
    keane, doyle and long are certs, cox, best and walters which? He may well take 5, and leave best out.

trap will reward those loyal to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gavredking wrote: »
    If the English FA can manage there allocation and distrbute the tickets to the correct sources there will be no trouble at the game. In fairness the English fans travel better now a days then they used too.

The Guards were poorly organised then too. I'd say all the organisations would be better prepared this time so there shouldn't be any big problems, just the usual few idiots on either side.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Its too easy for their worst elements to get into the country,on the pitch the last thing we need is a hiding before we go to the euros
    Rubbish England aren't that good tbh. I wouldn't mind playing them at all in fact I'd welcome it.

K-9 wrote: »
    The Guards were poorly organised then too. I'd say all the organisations would be better prepared this time so there shouldn't be any big problems, just the usual few idiots on either side.

Gardai need to rein it in the next time too unless justified.

Looked like they were just bashing anybody willy-nilly that was trying to get out of the away section that night, some of whom hardly looked like nutters.

stovelid wrote: »
    Gardai need to rein it in the next time too unless justified.

Looked like they were just bashing anybody willy-nilly that was trying to get out of the away section that night, some of whom hardly looked like nutters.

Probably. Should have just rounded up the EDF types in a corner and let them hit away. Wouldn't achieve much except for me feeling a bit smug!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

From a purely footballing POV i don't really see the point. Our players know full well and are accustomed to what the English players have to offer. There are better games out there to prepare us for the Euro's, even if it is against lesser opposition. It's just a business decision from the FAI.

Concerning all the other nonsense, sure have them over. I see no problem with it.

They'll never do something as dumb as putting visiting fans in an upper tier again so it should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It's being reported in the right wing rag

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2061017/England-hope-play-Ireland-Dublin-time-1995-abandonment.html

The headline is more than a bit annoying

What do people think , would you welcome England back to Lansdowne ?

I personally hate international friendlies , but I can sort of see the point as a warm up.

As an England fan I am still mortified by what happened in 95 .

What's wrong with the headline?

• Advertisement

Frankly I couldn't stand to watch another game where England just put 10 men on the goalline and we spend 90 minutes spraying lovely tiki-taki passes all over the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They'll never do something as dumb as putting visiting fans in an upper tier again so it should be grand.

Stick them in the North Stand!

Stick them in the North Stand!

Ideal really as there is no tier above it.

Finally the aberation has a use. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

lol Blessed for talent up front my ar$e we just happen to have 4/5 decent forwards and none of them stand out as being spectacular even good.
    Id much rather have 2 great strikers and the rest useless.

And actually have a few riot police close by, helps if there is any bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Keane, Walters, Doyle, Long. I'd have those 4 nailed on.

If we are to bring a 5th, I'd take Simon Cox right now unless Leon Best has a good run. At least we have a bit of competition up front.

And actually have a few riot police close by, helps if there is any bother!

Would be handy, but I wouldnt put them on view, while it has the effect to put people off causing trouble and can have the opposite effect also and encourage people to look for trouble.

It would definetly be organised better then the last time so i'd say there would be very little trouble apart from chanting and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Anyone who thinks England would hammer us is 100% deluded , they are an average team filled with decent to good players ( similar enough to ourselves ) They only managed to beat Wales 1 nil at Wembley in a qualifier ffs & should well have only drawn the game had Ramsey took his sitter of a chance. I for one would not fear playing them whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The Indo have come out with their thoughts on the squad, almost identical to mine.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/climbing-stairway-to-heaven-2933595.html
    GOALKEEPER

First Choice: Shay Given -- The country will be praying that he avoids any kind of injury over the next seven months.

Back-Up: Keiren Westwood, David Forde -- They are the established number two and three, and Westwood is a trusted replacement for Given.

Dark Horses: Darren Randolph, Brian Murphy -- If any mishap is suffered by those above, they will fight over the next spot.

Non-Runners: Paddy Kenny, Joe Murphy -- Kenny is still persona non grata, while Murphy has also fallen out of the good books.

RIGHT BACK

First Choice: John O'Shea -- Can offer cover in other positions, but Trapattoni wants to play him here.

BACK-UP: Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Kevin Foley -- Kelly will definitely be on the plane, but McShane and Foley could end up in competition with each other -- although the latter can also supplement the midfield.

DARK HORSE: Seamus Coleman -- Trapattoni has spoken about using the Donegal lad in the long term, but until Everton do, it's hard to see the Irish boss taking that step.

CENTRE -HALVES

FIRST CHOICE: Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger -- The favoured duo since Bulgaria in 2009 and that situation won't be changing, although St Ledger's situation at Leicester is a worry.

BACK UP: Darren O'Dea, John O'Shea, Paul McShane, Damien Delaney -- O'Dea will definitely go as the preferred cover, with O'Shea and McShane also considered in this department. Delaney is last resort.

DARK HORSES: Alex Pearce -- Trapattoni watched Scottish-born Pearce recently and is thinking about offering a call-up.

LEFT BACK

FIRST CHOICE: Stephen Ward -- The Wolves man was excellent in Estonia, demonstrating that he has learned from Moscow.

BACK UP: John O'Shea, Stephen Kelly, Kevin Kilbane, Damien Delaney, Ciaran Clark -- It's looking grim for Kilbane, who was left out of Estonia, with O'Shea and Kelly the cover options for Ward. Delaney and Clark's prospects are slim; the latter is a centre-half, but Trap views him as a left-sider.

DARK HORSES: Marc Tierney, Marc Wilson, Greg Cunningham -- Trapattoni mentioned Norwich's Tierney on Saturday, while Wilson offers cover in a variety of positions, but is suffering for his behaviour last summer. Trap rates Cunningham.

RIGHT MIDFIELD

FIRST CHOICE: Damien Duff -- His experience is vital to Trapattoni's plans and he will play once he remains intact.

BACK-UP: Stephen Hunt, Seamus Coleman, Liam Lawrence -- Hunt offers cover on both flanks. It could well be Coleman v Lawrence for a spot in the squad, and the Everton man has the upper hand

DARK HORSES: Anthony Pilkington -- Another Norwich man to get a mention from Trap on Saturday. Can play on both wings, but can also play for England as well and seems a bit unsure.

NON-RUNNER: Andy Reid -- Was in Tallinn as a fan on Friday and, given lack of club form and fact he doesn't really fit into manager's system in any position, he will be a spectator next summer.

CENTRAL MIDFIELD

FIRST CHOICE: Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews -- Injury problems to Andrews broke partnership up for a while, but this honest pair have returned to pole position.

BACK-UP: Keith Fahey, Darron Gibson, James McCarthy, Kevin Foley, Paul Green -- Fahey is now regarded as next best and can also move wide, so he is on course. Gibson may need to move in January to stay ahead of McCarthy and it's hard to see both going to Poland and Ukraine unless a recognised striker loses out.

DARK HORSES: Wes Hoolahan, David Meyler -- Hoolahan is a real long shot. He deserves a call-up, but he can't operate in this system. Will only be accommodated if Trap wants an option for a 4-5-1. Meyler fits the Trap mould, but needs a run of games.

NON-RUNNERS: Steven Reid, Stephen Ireland -- The former has said he would be available in an emergency and the latter is in self-imposed exile. However, Reid and Trapattoni's relationship is non-existent and Ireland would have to be ignored even if he did announce a change of heart.

LEFT MIDFIELD

FIRST CHOICE: Aiden McGeady -- He continues to develop and was excellent in Estonia. Poland and Ukraine will be a huge stage for his talents.

BACK-UP: Stephen Hunt, Keith Treacy -- Hunt will go, but Treacy has fallen out of favour and Duff's ability to switch removes real need for other option.

DARK HORSE: Robert Brady -- An outstanding talent who is on loan at Hull from Man United. Like Pilkington, he is versatile, but will need others to suffer misfortune.

STRIKERS

FIRST CHOICE: Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle -- Doyle's return to the starting XI tomorrow illustrates that these are still the chosen pair.

BACK-UP: Shane Long, Jonathan Walters, Simon Cox, Andy Keogh -- Unless he decides to bring just four strikers and seek added cover in other positions, the first three names should be safe, but where does that leave Keogh?

DARK HORSE: Leon Best -- Out of tomorrow's second leg through injury, but would hardly have figured anyway. Difficult to see who he can unship.

NON-RUNNER: Anthony Stokes -- No matter what he does with Celtic, the Dubliner is not well regarded by the current regime.

• Advertisement

Hoki wrote: »
    they are an average team filled with decent to good players ( similar enough to ourselves ) .

Wales are not a great example given their current squad. England are a far better team than us in terms of ability

We, however, play at the very outer level of ability wheile they never seem to fully realize theirs.

Sure we could get a result or at least not get a chasing - being so hard to beat - but they would be obvious favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Bring em on. Wouldn't fear them at all and as long as they behave they wont get battered by the riot police.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The FAI needs to strike now while the iron is hot
    Make as much money as they can
    The England game would fill the aviva
    It's a no brainer

Wales are not a great example given their current squad. England are a far better team than us in terms of ability

We, however, play at the very outer level of ability wheile they never seem to fully realize theirs.

Sure we could get a result or at least not get a chasing - being so hard to beat - but they would be obvious favourites.

Dont understand what u mean by the Wales bit , their current squad is the same as it has been for 12 months more or less bar the introduction of a new manager. They finished the group strongly & are improving but they are still not great tbh.

Of course England never realise their potential , they are perennial underachievers & thats one of the main reasons i wouldnt fear them . Player for player they are better than us but they struggle to break organised (us) teams down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Generally if they're ever caught short, they go into overkill the next time. Like bringing the dog unit to Belfield for Rovers v UCD league cup game on a Monday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Knowing Trap, he's probably going to take Keogh.

(and if his Leeds form's anything to go by, that wouldn't be as bad as it sounds)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I'd take Keane, Walters, Doyle & Long for sure. After that Cox or Best for 5th with Cox looking most likely at the moment.
    Can't see him going with 6 strikers....as said above he could even go with just those 4 and bring along one of his favourites Keogh to cover striker/winger :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Anyone who thinks England would hammer us is 100% deluded , they are an average team filled with decent to good players ( similar enough to ourselves ) They only managed to beat Wales 1 nil at Wembley in a qualifier ffs & should well have only drawn the game had Ramsey took his sitter of a chance. I for one would not fear playing them whatsoever.

:confused:

Given = Hart
    Dunne > Jagielka
    Duff = Downing

Then:

Cole >>>> Ward
    Terry >>>>> St. Ledger
    Johnson > O'Shea
    Parker >>>>>>>>Whelan
    Lampard >>>>> Andrews
    Rooney >>>>>>>>> Keane
    Bent >>>>>> Doyle
    Gerrard >>>>>>> McGeady

What a crazy post.

What's wrong with the headline?

I would rather not concentrate on the negative side of things .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

SantryRed wrote: »

Given = Hart
    Dunne > Jagielka
    Duff = Downing

Then:

Cole >>>> Ward
    Terry >>>>> St. Ledger
    Johnson > O'Shea
    Parker >>>>>>>>Whelan
    Lampard >>>>> Andrews
    Rooney >>>>>>>>> Keane
    Bent >>>>>> Doyle
    Gerrard >>>>>>> McGeady

What a crazy post.

In my opinion yours is a lot crazier, firstly you're comparing players in same positions rather than who would be facing who, secondly international football is about how your players gel as a team and not just how many good players you have, ask England, Argentina and Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

It would be a great fixture imo but i would rather if we drew them in the Euro's as they would be one of the easier second tier teams to play against. Nothing will be decided until the draw is made but if we dont draw them in the Euros, it would be a great friendly. We would have every chance against them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Given = Hart
    Dunne > Jagielka
    Duff = Downing

Then:

Cole >>>> Ward
    Terry >>>>> St. Ledger
    Johnson > O'Shea
    Parker >>>>>>>>Whelan
    Lampard >>>>> Andrews
    Rooney >>>>>>>>> Keane
    Bent >>>>>> Doyle
    Gerrard >>>>>>> McGeady

What a crazy post.

That's generous towards Duff (these days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Beefy78 wrote: »
    From a football perspective there's very little to gain (as ****e as we usually are we will be favourites). Capello & Trap know eachother and how they play, the England players know the Irish players and how they play and personally I'd prefer England to use one of their very limited friendly fixtures to play a different style of team than Ireland are.

But away from that I think there's too much baggage around this fixture. I've lived here for a while now and took more abuse on Friday from random drunken idiots after the Estonia game than I have in the last two years put together. And not banter from mates - abuse from dickheads. I can't be arsed with six months of that in the build up to a match.

I'm very sorry that this happened to you and I can only hope you understand that it is a very small minority of numptys and doesn't reflect on 99% of educated Irish folk..

Given = Hart
    Dunne > Jagielka
    Duff = Downing

Then:

Cole >>>> Ward
    Terry >>>>> St. Ledger
    Johnson > O'Shea
    Parker >>>>>>>>Whelan
    Lampard >>>>> Andrews
    Rooney >>>>>>>>> Keane
    Bent >>>>>> Doyle
    Gerrard >>>>>>> McGeady

What a crazy post.

Just ignore what i wrote 4 posts down from that then :rolleyes:
    Player for player they are better than us but they struggle to break organised (us) teams down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Why would the FA play an away game in Ireland unless the FAI give them a huge sum of money (which wont happen). They can easily just play a semi decent team in Wembley and sell 80,000 tickets. It might not even be worth playing Ireland in Wembley due to the extra hassle of increased stewards and policing. They dont even bother playing Scotland anymore. The only time England play away is as part of a return game against big countries like Germany and Spain or as a political move like against Trinidad & Tobago or Brazil in the middle east.

There is nothing in it for The FA if they play against Ireland at Lansdowne Road unless the FAI offer them up half the ticket sales and all of the TV rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Why would the FA play an away game in Ireland unless the FAI give them a huge sum of money (which wont happen).
    There is nothing in it for The FA if they play against Ireland at Lansdowne Road unless the FAI offer them up half the ticket sales and all of the TV rights.

...or maybe the FA would love to show the world that their fans can travel the short journey to Dublin and not cause a fúckin riot - I think they would readily agree to such a game to try to prove that the hooligan element of their fans is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Just ignore what i wrote 4 posts down from that then :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how true what you're saying is though. England don't really struggle to break down organised teams, they struggle against good teams with better levels of technical ability than they have.

You can point to the odd occasion (Northern Ireland away a few years back, Algeria last Summer) but England qualify for so many tournaments because they're generally pretty good at beating well-disciplined but inferior opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well the next time you get abuse from these hypocrites, just remind them about a certain englishman > Jack Charlton

fryup wrote: »
    well the next time you get abuse from these hypocrites, just remind them about a certain englishman > Jack Charlton

Listen , most of these idiots wouldn't even know who Jack Charlton was ( is ).

They are too busy talking about ' us ' or ' we' when talking about ManU/Liverpool/Celtic ( usually one of these three shirts ) , but know very little about football per se

I choose to ignore them , and now watch England games ( competitive ones ) from the comfort of my own home .

That's generous towards Duff (these days)

Given isn't equal to Hart either, so I guess they have us in pretty much every position except CentreDunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Dotrel wrote: »
    Given isn't equal to Hart either, so I guess they have us in pretty much every position except CentreDunne.

Given is better than Joe Hart.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement