Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

CSF wrote: »
    For some reason Delph to City just doesn't seem like a fit to me.
    It's a perfect fit, he counts as a "home grown" player under UEFA rules and city are in dire need of those. That's why they are after Wiltshere and Sterling too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,554 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's a perfect fit, he counts as a "home grown" player under UEFA rules and city are in dire need of those. That's why they are after Wiltshere and Sterling too.

But are they actually after Delph or Wilshere or is that just an easy story for the papers to invent given the HG thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any update on Benteke, I have Liverpool supporters here falling all over themselves telling me its a done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

But are they actually after Delph or Wilshere or is that just an easy story for the papers to invent given the HG thing?
    Not sure about Delph but they were after Wilshere. I think they only have Hart and Boyata as home grown players so they'll have to add English players this summer. Delph is as good as there is in that category (that's available) so if they can get him for £10m they might as well.

Not sure about Delph but they were after Wilshere. I think they only have Hart and Boyata as home grown players so they'll have to add English players this summer. Delph is as good as there is in that category (that's available) so if they can get him for £10m they might as well.
    Would they actually play him though? I mean you don't actually HAVE to have Homegrown players.

• Advertisement

Boyata joined Celtic btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would they actually play him though? I mean you don't actually HAVE to have Homegrown players.

If I was Delph I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Sure he may get a nice little wage packet but game time he will not get and he will be sold in a year or two having added nothing to his game.

You'd be mad to go to city.

listermint wrote: »
    If I was Delph I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Sure he may get a nice little wage packet but game time he will not get and he will be sold in a year or two having added nothing to his game.

You'd be mad to go to city.

Yeah it just doesn't fit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yeah it just doesn't fit for me.
    Just kicking it around but I think Man U would be a better fit combative midfielder etc etc but let's hope he stays where he is.

I'm not getting too wrapped up with in all the ins and outs though it's clear we need a good overhaul it will all be settled come 1st match of the season ... well until January at least and then . . . we go again.

pavb2 wrote: »
    Just kicking it around but I think Man U would be a better fit combative midfielder etc etc but let's hope he stays where he is.

I'm not getting too wrapped up with in all the ins and outs though it's clear we need a good overhaul it will all be settled come 1st match of the season ... well until January at least and then . . . we go again.

I think I read that the release club only applies to clubs in the Champions League this summer. If that's the case I see him staying.

• Advertisement

If the Delph rumours are true and Benteke goes, it's going to be a huge job for Sherwood now. Will be a much changed squad to the one that finished the season in May.

Assuming Gueye is a replacement for either Cleverley or Delph, you're looking at signing another guy to replace the other one, a goalkeeper, a left back, a centreback to replace Vlaar, a striker for Benteke, and another more advanced and creative midfielder.

That could take time to bed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Linked with Dennis Praet of Anderlecht. Have heard his name linked with bigger clubs and is highly rated. Seems there'd be lot of clubs after him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

CSF wrote:
    Assuming Gueye is a replacement for either Cleverley or Delph, you're looking at signing another guy to replace the other one, a goalkeeper, a left back, a centreback to replace Vlaar, a striker for Benteke, and another more advanced and creative midfielder.

I don't think we need to replace Vlaar. We have Baker, Clark, Okare and Senderos. I think that's plenty and enough quality.

Midfield will be an issue but I hope "the Rock" Sanchez will have got enough time to adjust to the PL.

Any news on the take over yet?

Just reading that Helenius is gone on a free transfer back to Aab

It seems West Brom are being bought by a Chinese consortium who originally bid for Villa, but Lerner opted to give the other group exclusivity. So more than likely it's the Americans that have the exclusivity so on Villa.

Also 2 games have been moved for tv coverage. Home to United on Friday August 14th at 7.45pm and away to Leicester on Sunday September 13 at 4pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LeBash wrote: »
    I don't think we need to replace Vlaar. We have Baker, Clark, Okare and Senderos. I think that's plenty and enough quality.

Quality? Those 4 are a potential recipe for disaster, baker and Senderos should actually be moved on, a couple of decent CBs need to be signed.

JPA wrote: »
    Quality? Those 4 are a potential recipe for disaster, baker and Senderos should actually be moved on, a couple of decent CBs need to be signed.

Clark and Okore have showed promise, but they absolutely need better competition than Baker and Senderos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Patser

Corholio wrote: »
    Also 2 games have been moved for tv coverage. Home to United on Friday August 14th at 7.45pm and away to Leicester on Sunday September 13 at 4pm.

Nooooo! Not fecking Friday night games...

1st Villa game I was going to, years ago, had tickets as a Christmas present, long easter weekend in Birmingham booked - and match got moved to Good Friday night as an experiment. It was on as I flew in. Remember how gutted I felt, 18 years old and one of first weekends away.

Heard I didn't miss much 0-0 with West Ham. But have always hated the idea if Friday matches since.

Patser wrote: »
    Nooooo! Not fecking Friday night games...

1st Villa game I was going to, years ago, had tickets as a Christmas present, long easter weekend in Birmingham booked - and match got moved to Good Friday night as an experiment. It was on as I flew in. Remember how gutted I felt, 18 years old and one of first weekends away.

Heard I didn't miss much 0-0 with West Ham. But have always hated the idea if Friday matches since.

That's actually happened me here, I've just booked a new flight though

That's actually happened me here, I've just booked a new flight though

At this was years ago, before Ryanair got really going and it was just too expensive to change. To give you an idea of timeline, I had to ring Villa Park to double check what was happening ( by looking at number on ticket) and was offered a replacement for any match that season. No email option.

Went to Alton Towers instead.

• Advertisement

At this was years ago, before Ryanair got really going and it was just too expensive to change. To give you an idea of timeline, I had to ring Villa Park to double check what was happening ( by looking at number on ticket) and was offered a replacement for any match that season. No email option.

Went to Alton Towers instead.

I probably made that sound more casual than it was. I also went into an extreme state of panic when I saw that fixture time.

I don't understand why people don't rate Senderos. He was top class until his injury. I knocked the signing of him but was surprised how well he did. We conceded very few goals til he picked up the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't understand why people don't rate Senderos. He was top class until his injury. I knocked the signing of him but was surprised how well he did. We conceded very few goals til he picked up the injury.

He was good until the injury but then missed most of the season. I think something similar happened the year before with Fulham. He's a decent defender but I don't think you can rely on him for a full season.

matrim wrote:
    He was good until the injury but then missed most of the season. I think something similar happened the year before with Fulham. He's a decent defender but I don't think you can rely on him for a full season.

Agree with that but I see him as back up. There is long term gain in playing the other 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

LeBash wrote:

We were doing well the first few games last season with him in the and he got injured. We played 5 top teams in a row and crumbled from then till Sherwood came in

JPA wrote: »
    They all seem to have spent a lot of time out injured so any ability or quality they have becomes irrelevant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

take with a pinch of salt but here are the Villa rumours atm:
    Nothing about new owners though and only 2 or so weeks left in the exclusivity period

Villa have bid for highly-rated Nice left-back Jordan Amavi

TS in for Guidetti who is available on a free

Villa have also bid 6/7mil for Praet of Anderlecht

3.5m bid for Dutch winger Tjaronn Chery who was apparently pulled from training as he is no longer expected to be with the club

Gueye has agreed personal terms and is just waiting on a work permit

Micah Ricards is being considered a CB option as much as a RB option

Helenius has left Villa for free and is back in Denmark

Joe Bennet linked with Fulham

Cissokho linked to Bournemouth

Delph close to agreeing a deal with City but wants assurances over game time as he has his eye on an England place next summer

Never even thought of Guidetti. Delph should stay until after Euro 2016

Never even thought of Guidetti. Delph should stay until after Euro 2016

No idea how true it is but the rumour is that his cheap release clause is only valid this summer. Milner leaving because of game time concerns though should show Delph that you have a point as people like Jimmy will now be starting every week and competing for the spot at Euro 2016 that he wants.

I'd imagine quite a few teams will be interested in Guidetti on a free and I'd like him at Villa although obvioulsy if Benteke was to leave another striker would be needed. As a Weimann replacement i'd def welcome him.

Also have Gabby go back to being a (sub) forward if possible and let Grealish, Sinclair etc or the potential new signings (Praet, Chery etc) fill those AM / WF spots assuming our system stays the same.

While on the topic of our forwards, I still (after all this time) really don't know how good Kozak is or what role he should have at Villa whether Benteke stays or goes.

• Advertisement

No idea how true it is but the rumour is that his cheap release clause is only valid this summer. Milner leaving because of game time concerns though should show Delph that you have a point as people like Jimmy will now be starting every week and competing for the spot at Euro 2016 that he wants.

I'd imagine quite a few teams will be interested in Guidetti on a free and I'd like him at Villa although obvioulsy if Benteke was to leave another striker would be needed. As a Weimann replacement i'd def welcome him.

Also have Gabby go back to being a (sub) forward if possible and let Grealish, Sinclair etc or the potential new signings (Praet, Chery etc) fill those AM / WF spots assuming our system stays the same.

While on the topic of our forwards, I still (after all this time) really don't know how good Kozak is or what role he should have at Villa whether Benteke stays or goes.
    Yeah, Guidetti should not be Benteke's replacement. If Benteke leaves he should be replaced appropriately.

As for Delph, if a team only wants him at a cut-price fee, they might not be the team to help propel him into the Euro 2016 squad. I maintain that Delph to City is a terrible fit.

CSF wrote:
    I maintain that Delph to City is a terrible fit.

The wage will be a nice fit

The wage will be a nice fit
    I've seen no signs in Delph that he'd be the sort of player that would be the kind of player who would let their career stagnate while earning a good wage for the duration of that contract. I reckon if he goes there it'll be because he reckons he'll play.

CSF wrote:
    I've seen no signs in Delph that he'd be the sort of player that would be the kind of player who would let their career stagnate while earning a good wage for the duration of that contract. I reckon if he goes there it'll be because he reckons he'll play.

The same could have been said about a lot of player that ended up at Man City and Chelsea. If they throw an offer of 120k per week at him, he'll be gone.

Between those 2 clubs you could probably name 30 players who didn't look like they were in it for the money who went knowing they weren't going to be on team sheets week in week out.

It was a great gesture to the club to sign on so we could get a few quid for him and that's about the most loyal thing I've seen in a Villa player for a long time.

Ian Taylor ‏@IanTaylor7 3h3 hours ago

This is a big big summer for us..... #AVFC #comingsandgoings http://www.kicca.com/IanTaylor7/posts/559a8548cc10edb85551f161

Ian Taylor ‏@IanTaylor7 3h3 hours ago

This is a big big summer for us..... #AVFC #comingsandgoings http://www.kicca.com/IanTaylor7/posts/559a8548cc10edb85551f161

Anyone really expect it to be a big summer of signings?

• Advertisement

in terms of numbers I do think we will have a lot more players who had been or will be getting game time coming and going this summer.

We already need to replace the likes of Vlaar (unless that is Richards) and Cleverly. The team needed investment before that anyway. Benteke and Delph could be off soon for more than 40m. We have a new manager who will want his own players in and we may yet be taken over.

So tbh I expect a lot of movement this summer

in terms of numbers I do think we will have a lot more players who had been or will be getting game time coming and going this summer.

We already need to replace the likes of Vlaar (unless that is Richards) and Cleverly. The team needed investment before that anyway. Benteke and Delph could be off soon for more than 40m. We have a new manager who will want his own players in and we may yet be taken over.

So tbh I expect a lot of movement this summer

I do expect new faces. But Tonev, Helenius and El Ahmadi were new faces too. Really hope Lerner opens the pursestrings this summer but with the Benteke transfer I'll actually expect negative net spend.

Wouldn't be shocked with a negative net spend (if it's still Lerner at Villa come the season start) but when you think about the players leaving

Vlaar wages gone
    Cleverly wages gone
    Bents wages gone
    Weimann gone 3.8m euro
    Lowton gone supposidly 1.4m
    Sylla gone 1.5m euro
    Enda Stevens, Helenus, Herd gone

Then potentially 32.5m ST for Benteke & another 9m for Delph plus the potential other sales from those being linked away at the moment like Luna, Tonev, Cissokho, Bennett

not only is there a big need for player, there should be plenty of money to spend and money for wages too and thats without any takeover. When you look at who we are being linked to it shows this also as its not quite the bargain basement stuff weve been used to, although we may not all honestly know loads about the linked players but honestly who knew much about Benteke before he arrived.

supposidly it's only a work permit holding things up atm but for example

Idrissa Gueye
    Sky sources reported on Thursday that Villa had agreed a £9m deal with Lille to sign the Senagalese and that he was on his way to Birmingham to finalise his transfer.

The 25-year-old has played more than 130 games for the French Ligue 1 side and was Lille's stand-out performer last term as the club finished 8th.

If the deal is completed, Villa will have paid their highest transfer in four years since the signing of Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan in 2011.p

Similarily we are talking around 9m for the other linked players like Nice left-back Jordan Amavi or Dennis Praet of Anderlecht

A negative net spend is completely unacceptable but it's what we've come to expect.

If Benteke and Delph go and aren't replaced with players of similar calibre, then it's a bad transfer window. So to take Taylor's quote in reality, I think it is a big big summer for Villa but so far in absolutely a bad way. You're potentially losing your best 2 players.

It's sad how much of a realist being a Villa fan in recent years makes you but...

I thought Delph was gone for nothing and I've always expected Benteke to go too and 32.5m is the very best Villa could get for him.

You often hear people talk about selling a star player and replacing them buy bringing in a number of players and in many cases it does not work out as hoped like the oft cited Bale example. That said we are not trying to bridge the gap to the top 4 we are trying to stop being a relegation candidate and if we could actually sign 4/5 first team quality players for around 8m each like those being linked I honestly think we could improve despite their losses.

Obviously it's swings and roundabouts, see Southampton for another example of a team buying like I've said but in that case it worked out positively.

Say we did bring in Amavi 9m, Praet 8m, Begovic 8m, Gueye 9m, Chery, 3.5m & Adebayor we might be doing alright. Plus who knows Delph may stay and the above could be acheivable with the increased Sky money

....................................Begovic

....Richards........Okore...................Clark.......Amavi...

............................Gueye......Delph

Chery/Sinclair................Praet.................Grealish

................................Adebayor

Subs: Guzan/Given, Huton, Senderos, Westwood, Agbonlahor, Kozak etc

now I don't expect all those signings nor do I def want em all (not sure about Adebayor) but I'm just using those linked and although that Defense looks shaky (but has potential) that to me is not a relegation battling side. Plus Sky money, Benteke money, smaller sales and potential takeover it would be doable

• Advertisement

It's sad how much of a realist being a Villa fan in recent years makes you but...

I thought Delph was gone for nothing and I've always expected Benteke to go too and 32.5m is the very best Villa could get for him.

You often hear people talk about selling a star player and replacing them buy bringing in a number of players and in many cases it does not work out as hoped like the oft cited Bale example. That said we are not trying to bridge the gap to the top 4 we are trying to stop being a relegation candidate and if we could actually sign 4/5 first team quality players for around 8m each like those being linked I honestly think we could improve despite their losses.

Obviously it's swings and roundabouts, see Southampton for another example of a team buying like I've said but in that case it worked out positively.

Say we did bring in Amavi 9m, Praet 8m, Begovic 8m, Gueye 9m, Chery, 3.5m & Adebayor we might be doing alright. Plus who knows Delph may stay and the above could be acheivable with the increased Sky money

....................................Begovic

....Richards........Okore...................Clark.......Amavi...

............................Gueye......Delph

Chery/Sinclair................Praet.................Grealish

................................Adebayor

Subs: Guzan/Given, Huton, Senderos, Westwood, Agbonlahor, Kozak etc

now I don't expect all those signings nor do I def want em all (not sure about Adebayor) but I'm just using those linked and although that Defense looks shaky (but has potential) that to me is not a relegation battling side. Plus Sky money, Benteke money, smaller sales and potential takeover it would be doable

Reckon you can compensate for Benteke and Delph at best unless you really push the boat out with signings. Improving the team would be extremely difficult with those 2 gone. It's not something to be excited about. Merely a case of getting on with it and hoping for the best.

Reckon you can compensate for Benteke and Delph at best unless you really push the boat out with signings. Improving the team would be extremely difficult with those 2 gone. It's not something to be excited about. Merely a case of getting on with it and hoping for the best.

Thought about this the other day reflecting on the past few seasons and I think it's a sad indictment of our whole squad that these are the only two who would be truly missed.

pavb2 wrote: »
    Thought about this the other day reflecting on the past few seasons and I think it's a sad indictment of our whole squad that these are the only two who would be truly missed.

There are other players I would also not want to lose. But those are definitely the best 2. For this reason I can't see how you can lose those 2 and call it a good transfer window unless the signings are much more impressive than what's come in and been linked.

New kit just announced.

Away is lovely. Yellow and black with black crest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

354519.jpg

New kit just announced.

Away is lovely. Yellow and black with black crest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sorry Gabby. The world already knows your secret that you arent very good.

Always liked the yellow kit the club had in O'Leary's time with the 'MG' sponsor, which was a simple logo not the horrid mess that'll be on it next season.

Good idea using Benteke and Delph. Might ease the panic of a few supporters

Late talk tonight that Given is joining Middlesbrough.

Corholio wrote: »
    Late talk tonight that Given is joining Middlesbrough.

I like iven but considering the wages he is on I'd be happy with this as I think that money could be put to better use elsewhere and itd also mean Given gets first team football.

Would suggest we might have a new keeper coming in. The links to Begovic, Guzan being dropped at the end of last season when Sherwood came in etc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement