Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Very good round-up - didn't know Byrne was getting the No. 10 shirt - very good sign

Apparently did his ankle in. Could be out for a while. Terrible luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah saw on Twitter he got a pretty bad ankle injury, terrible timing really. Could find it hard to settle in a new country if he can't play or train.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Yeah saw on Twitter he got a pretty bad ankle injury, terrible timing really. Could find it hard to settle in a new country if he can't play or train.

NEWS: On loan SC Cambuur midfielder Jack Byrne (@Jackb_8) has had a scan on his ankle injury. Nothing major. Set for just a short layoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In a strange mind of way, there's no better time to get an injury than now.
    OK, he might miss some pre-season training, but the Dutch league won't start for another month

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Rankings came out and we're up 8 places to 52nd,
    Others in our group:
    Germany down to 2nd
    Scotland down to 29th
    Poland up to 30th
    Georgia down 153

So that's the WC qualifier seeding officicially confirmed (already up since you can just calculate it before hand):
    Of course you know our pot is the 4th pot and here are the other teams in it and just a show of how they changed and ended up in the pot.

Turkey 48 (+9)
    Slovenia 49 (-1)
    Israel 51 (-11)
    Ireland 52 (+8)
    Norway 67 (-3)
    Bulgaria 68 (-6)
    Faroe islands 74 (+28)
    Motenegro 81 (-11)
    Estonia 82 (+9)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Wales are now ranked 10th. Ahead of Spain. Jesus Christ.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

irishmover wrote: »
    Wales are now ranked 10th. Ahead of Spain. Jesus Christ.....

If you ever needed confirmation that the Ranking system is not fit for purpose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If you ever needed confirmation that the Ranking system is not fit for purpose....

Exactly. And now they're in pot 1 for the WC qualifiers despite this being the first time they've even threatened to qualify for anything for donkey's years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That ranking system is a joke,its unbelievable that it has been used for some long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Iceland 23rd
    Albania 36th
    Congo 47th

When have these last made a major tournament?

• Advertisement

Last year France were 7th and since they are hosting the world cup they don't get as much points as qualifiers give more ranking points than friendlies. They've dropped to 22nd now. Same during 1998 they droped to 25th, but to be fair then they will get more points from winning in the actually competition so should head up the rankings again.

Still though because of this they are down into the second pot for world cup qualifying.

I agree the ranking system isn't great but it would be hard to make a perfect system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

What exactly in the methodology that is used do people have an issue with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭bren2001

Beefy78 wrote: »

The methodology that puts Wales ahead of the current European Champions despite the fact they have not qualified for one in the 4 year scoring period. It's a flawed system that needs to be revised.

So the issue is the result and not the methodology?

It is a ranking system based on results. Short of having a bloke on Boards giving an arbitrary rating of where teams are in their own 'rankings' I'm unsure of a better way of doing it but perhaps if there's a particular part of the calculation that you take issue with then that would be a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I think Wales could beat Spain though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the problem is the infrequency with which teams play each other competitively - when did Wales last play Spain, or Italy, or Holland. It's even worse trying to compare teams from different continents who may never have played each other competitively.

Nonetheless they shouldn't be basing the seedings for the draw solely on the rankings - I don't think they do this for the European Championships draw. Some account should be taken of how a team has done in the last few major tournaments.

Having said all that, we're sh1te, and we never beat anyone ranked above us, so can have few complaints.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Nonetheless they shouldn't be basing the seedings for the draw solely on the rankings - I don't think they do this for the European Championships draw. Some account should be taken of how a team has done in the last few major tournaments.

That I agree with. I think the rankings themselves are an easy target when we don't like the results of them but I struggle to really criticise the methodology when you look into it. But pots for qualification should have a weighting towards how teams have done in the last couple of tournaments, IMO.

Beefy78 wrote: »

A lot of people aren't too happy with the weighting of the ranking based on you're opponent.

The strength of each team is determine by a score of 200- their ranking position. It is capped at 50. The calculationfor points is Result*Importance*Team Strength*Confederation.

So let's say in the Euros we draw with Spain 1-1.
    Points would be like:

1*3*188*1= 564 ranking points

Now say the next tournament we beat Cape Verde Islands in the world cup 1-0 (they are currently one place ahead of us)

3*4*149*.85= 1519.8 ranking points

Now cape verde islands bet Portugal recently in a friendly ( a second string portuguese side without their main starters)

Now lets say we drew with Germany in the qualifiers away from home:

1*2.5*198*1= 495

Now let's say we end up beating Faroe Islands 1-0 at home in the qualifiers:

3*2.5*126*1= 945

People argue mostly about the weighting of the rankings. Surely it's crazy that beating someone like Faroe Islands ranked well below you would gain you nearly double the points than drawing with the world champions away from home while being 50 spots behind them in the ranking.

It would be difficult of course to get a perfect system but personally (and others I would expect too) feel that the current one does not take in a fair reflection of the quality of the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Adamocovic wrote: »

Not necessarily disagreeing with your points but aren't many of these flaws in the ranking system akin to the flaws of the football scoring system itself.
    e.g., you get 3 times as many points in the qualifying group for beating Gibraltar 7-0 than you get for drawing 1-1 in Germany, you don't get extra points for it being away from home, you get nothing for a gutsy and unlucky victory etc.
    If all the above are considered good enough for the actual playing of the game of football then why should a ranking system be criticised for not ironing them out (notwithstanding that it does make some small efforts which people think aren't enough).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Not necessarily disagreeing with your points but aren't many of these flaws in the ranking system akin to the flaws of the football scoring system itself.
    e.g., you get 3 times as many points in the qualifying group for beating Gibraltar 7-0 than you get for drawing 1-1 in Germany, you don't get extra points for it being away from home, you get nothing for a gutsy and unlucky victory etc.
    If all the above are considered good enough for the actual playing of the game of football then why should a ranking system be criticised for not ironing them out (notwithstanding that it does make some small efforts which people think aren't enough).

in a qualifying group you're only competing with the other teams in that group - you all play each other twice so it's perfectly fair. In the rankings they're trying to compare teams who haven't played each other, so they use a weighting system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A rush of money has seen William Hill suspend betting on the next Leicester City manager - Martin O'Neill now 4-1 on.

Could be nothing of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

It would be a disgrace if MON left after only 6 competitive games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

magma69 wrote: »

He's got no qualms about walking out on teams.

I don't have a complaint about the scoring system in football (i.e 3 points, 1 point etc) and think the ranking system is a lot different. I feel the ranking relys too heavily on win lose or draw and not enough on opponent quality.

With normal football leagues we know the format. It's divided into different level of leagues and in order to progress you have to play each team in your level twice and only if you are one of the best you can progress, and if you are the worse you drop down.

Now if a similar structure was brought in place internationally the rankings would look a lot different. For example look at the top 20 in the world rankings:

Argentina
    Germany
    Belgium
    Columbia
    Holland
    Brazil
    Portugal
    Romania
    England
    Wales
    Chile
    Spain
    Uruguay
    Croatia
    Slovakia
    Austria
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Algeria
    Czech Republic

Now if they were to play in a league and played each other twice I would wager the league table wouldn't look like that by the end of it. So you would ask questions like about are these rankings correct? Are Romania better than Spain, Chile, Uruguay? Are Wales? Are Belgium the third best team in the world?

For me rankings have a lot to do with opponent selection for friendlies and also luck of the draw in qualifiers. Ireland could be higher in the rankings if we chose games against teams we know we can beat rather than teams that would sell tickets. This then can affect rankings which then sees luck being a bit crucial in the draw as some teams in each tier aren't actually at that level and are beatable which can lead to more ranking points.

If they scraped theleagues and brought in a similar system for club football I imagine the ranking table would look very strange and not a true reflection of the best teams.

The problem with International football is it would be tough to have a structure similar to club football. It would be hard to organise and set up in terms of how many go up, how many go down, qualifications for tournaments, amount of time available for matches etc.

Most people when they criticise the ranking system don't have general complaints of scoring system but rather feel a new method of calculation should be considered for reflecting the quality of the opponent you are against and it should not rely so heavily on the actual win, lose, draw result

magma69 wrote: »
    JPA wrote: »
    He's got no qualms about walking out on teams.

From the what some people have posted on this board regarding MONs position I thought most would be delighted with the possibility that he would walk away.

• Advertisement

in a qualifying group you're only competing with the other teams in that group - you all play each other twice so it's perfectly fair. In the rankings they're trying to compare teams who haven't played each other, so they use a weighting system.

Exactly. It's difficult to find a perfect weighting system that truly reflects the difficulty of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

From the what some people have posted on this board regarding MONs position I thought most would be delighted with the possibility that he would walk away.

Agreed, plenty of people calling for his head but if he leaves of his own accord it's terrible.

Not likely anyways - that Preki fella is supposedly favourite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

MON can go, bring back Brian Kerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Agreed, plenty of people calling for his head but if he leaves of his own accord it's terrible.

Not likely anyways - that Preki fella is supposedly favourite.
    O'Neill's favourite. Preki's available at 16/1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

He would be a fool to go back imo it's the one place nobody questions that he did a good job. You could say Celtic and most would agree but then you get those saying it was an easy job. He could easily tarnish his image by going back now especially when his last couple of jobs have not gone well.

Somehow I doubt he will go anywhere after so few games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

the problem is the infrequency with which teams play each other competitively - when did Wales last play Spain, or Italy, or Holland. It's even worse trying to compare teams from different continents who may never have played each other competitively.

Having said all that, we're sh1te, and we never beat anyone ranked above us, so can have few complaints.

UEFA have their own ranking system, that they use the the European Championships, Ireland and the rest of the group also don't get points for 2 games V Gibraltar as they are not a FIFA team

Sure it's grand, Roy can step up to manager, Guppy as assistant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

a capable manager when he has access to a chequebook, I'm a Celtic fan and enjoyed his years at the helm, but tbh I could have done as well with Henrik the king of Kings at his peak. I also wouldn't lament m o'n leaving, but its some indictment of him if he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

If he does go who do people want as a replacement?

Personally Id like to see Houghton or McCarthy again....

would mick Mc carthy take it? Keane? no ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Ideally Mick, but it'll be Roy. Not sure whether that's good or bad...

hopefully not keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Most likely outcome will be Keane for the remainder of this qualifying group with someone new coming in after that. Hate to say it but I dont think we have a hope of qualifying at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Mick McCarthy would be the only man I'd want in the job that would be a realistic choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Unsure about Mick, they always say you should never go back and I think thats probably true. Take Hiddink as a prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Klopp for Ireland!!

mick could still do a job, the question is- would he want it. he got dogs abuse from some sectors towards the end of, and after, his last tenure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

damian139 wrote: »
    mick could still do a job, the question is- would he want it. he got dogs abuse from some sectors towards the end of, and after, his last tenure

I think he was very coy about it when asked about the job the last time it came available in September 2013 (he was in charge of Ipswich then I think). My guesses are he would take the job if an offer came his way and the circumstances were right.

Played some great football under him back in the early 2000's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Mick and Roy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

MON on €1.2m yr. Surely FAI will have to get at least that out of it in order to recruit new manager.
    i.e. Mick "Bacon Slicer" McCarthy

On the MON debate, I could take him or leave him, would probably prefer to keep him see out the campaign.

However if he actively quits, after 6 competitive matches, it's poor form.

Hope FAI can get decent compensation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I know there is a lot of disappointment with O'Neill right now, but personally I would be disappointed in the man if he were to walk away before the campaign is over. Yes, our chances of qualifying look slim; but there is still a chance.

If he walks, I'm certain it will be Keane for the rest of the campaign; and as much as I'm a big fan of Keano, this could wind up as a massive farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Irish football is a farce from top to bottom! Not long before we're perennial 5th seeds! All the youngsters coming through are English born. Whatever we're doing at youth level on this island isn't working.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement