Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains fencer

Options
  • 16-01-2021 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a mains fencer, can anyone tell me the best make cheetah, Gallagher, or any other brand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Haven’t bought a mains fencer in 30years.

Thread further down praising Cheetah fencers.

Buy big, Earth it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

I have a Cheetah fencer here on the home farm.
    Fence unit manufacturers usually give the rating in Joules and or Kilometres, when comparing units and prices its important to make sure you are comparing similar and that its more than adequate for your needs.

I'm also using 12V fence units now from VOSS on out farms. In terms of bang for buck I've been very impressed with the VOSS units, they are 12V but also came with a plug in option.

In terms of performance, it would be hard to say one is better than the other, but the Cheetah unit has been ticking away 24/7 for the best part of 30 years. In terms of reliability it will be a long time before I could compare anything to the Cheetah fence unit. There is also a thread here in recent days praising Cheetah's after sales service in the case where people had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Our mains is Alfa Laval, don’t even know if they do them any more. They never had a great reputation, but ours is 30+ years old and running strong.

We found when selling them that they couldn’t be plugged into a supply close to another high draw appliance like cooler etc, the repeated spike in power seemed to kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

_Brian wrote: »
    Haven’t bought a mains fencer in 30years.

Thread further down praising Cheetah fencers.

Buy big, Earth it well.

Earth it well is key. For current here I drove 3 earth bars 3 foot into the ground. All the fencers are good. I have 3 cheetah mains fencers and one Gallagher battery fence. I couldn't fault any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Have a Cheetah G-303. Massive bang, covers a very large area, I always go for something more than what I would need. Plug in and forget . Earth it well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

& steel wire for carrying consistent current. Poly wire i would say has crept into far too many fencing lines over the last 20 years given its handy to install &very cheap.

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a mains fencer, can anyone tell me the best make cheetah, Gallagher, or any other brand.

What about elephant?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

dodo mommy wrote: »

I have a Gallagher mains fencer for years.
    It works well and has never given any trouble.

Advertisement