Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed Options

Options
  • 14-01-2021 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

There's a good few threads on this topic, but a lot are 3+ years old at this stage.
    Just wondering does anyone have feedback on a good shed provider that has a product that will last.
    Steeltech are nice, but they are expensive in comparison to others. Or is it that others are much poorer standard?
    Looking at a 13 x 10' for garden storage, lawnmower, deck furniture that kind of thing. Dont want to get something 'good value' that is crumbling in 5 years time.

Any advise or experience of good suppliers appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I got a Steeltech in June. Realistically, 4 grand is your budget for that size, including foundation slab/floor.
    However, there hasn't been a drop of condensation on anything stored inside (lawmowers, motorcycle, tools, bicycle) and we have had a pretty nasty winter.
    I have seen other steel sheds and nothing comes close to the quality. 20 year warranty. Timber sheds vary in quality depending on supplier, but for a similar size you can expect to pay about half what the Steel one costs, but unless you look after it, You'll need a new one in 10 years. Also, if you don't install it on a hard surface, you'll be dealing with stuck doors for a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

Dohvolle wrote: »
    I got a Steeltech in June. Realistically, 4 grand is your budget for that size, including foundation slab/floor.
    However, there hasn't been a drop of condensation on anything stored inside (lawmowers, motorcycle, tools, bicycle) and we have had a pretty nasty winter.
    I have seen other steel sheds and nothing comes close to the quality. 20 year warranty. Timber sheds vary in quality depending on supplier, but for a similar size you can expect to pay about half what the Steel one costs, but unless you look after it, You'll need a new one in 10 years. Also, if you don't install it on a hard surface, you'll be dealing with stuck doors for a lifetime.

Which type or model did you go for?
    I was looking at the 13x10 and they are about €2,600. I’d say I’d do as the video on their site suggests with pouring a foundation around the perimeter. And then after installed pour a 3” floor inside.
    I’d rather pay the extra bit and avoid future hardship, so I’m happy to hear you’ve had good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have wooden shed just on 30 yrs now, needs maintenance yearly as in coat of 'fencelife' (easy to apply) on exterior that can reach. I have had roof refelted once. Yes door a bit dodgy but works and replaced hinges once. So I suppose it depends how long you will need it for and how much care you can give it? Also mine is located in sheltered corner of garden so high walls on two side and that prob helps. Probably at end of life and my need for it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Clane sheds
    Come with a floor in them, no need concrete floor

Comes with a proper door and window.

Pleasure to deal with.

bamayang wrote: »
    Which type or model did you go for?
    I was looking at the 13x10 and they are about €2,600. I’d say I’d do as the video on their site suggests with pouring a foundation around the perimeter. And then after installed pour a 3” floor inside.
    I’d rather pay the extra bit and avoid future hardship, so I’m happy to hear you’ve had good results.

3m by 5m, or 13 by 10. €2840 at the time. I got a full slab laid. Shed won't deliver until at least 5 weeks had passed since concrete poured(steeltech guy comes out to make sure its ok, access is good etc). Then covid happened and everything stopped, but as soon as they reopened shed went in and slab man was back the day after to finish off the floor. I sealed the floor as soon as the concrete had cured.
    As for the steel sheds with their own floor, I'm parking 300kG of motorbike in mine. It would punch a nice hole in a steel floor over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Clane sheds
    Come with a floor in them, no need concrete floor

Comes with a proper door and window.

Pleasure to deal with.
    +1 for Clane Garden Sheds. (No connection, satisfied customer).

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

3m by 5m, or 13 by 10. €2840 at the time. I got a full slab laid. Shed won't deliver until at least 5 weeks had passed since concrete poured(steeltech guy comes out to make sure its ok, access is good etc). Then covid happened and everything stopped, but as soon as they reopened shed went in and slab man was back the day after to finish off the floor. I sealed the floor as soon as the concrete had cured.
    As for the steel sheds with their own floor, I'm parking 300kG of motorbike in mine. It would punch a nice hole in a steel floor over time.
    The one I got from Clane Garden Sheds has a WBP ply floor on steel joists. It did not need a concrete slab, just concrete block footings installed by the shed erectors. All still perfect after 3 or 4 years.

The one I got from Clane Garden Sheds has a WBP ply floor on steel joists. It did not need a concrete slab, just concrete block footings installed by the shed erectors. All still perfect after 3 or 4 years.

No concrete here.
    Sat on compacted stone. (804)

As I say, not an option for parking motorcycle, unless you want to be messing about with extra planks under the stand every time.

As I say, not an option for parking motorcycle, unless you want to be messing about with extra planks under the stand every time.

Read the OP
    That's what we're replying to.
    Lawnmower and a few deck chairs.

Your motorbike 8s nothing to do with it

• Advertisement

Read the OP
    That's what we're replying to.
    Lawnmower and a few deck chairs.

Your motorbike 8s nothing to do with it

Hocus focus quoted me, you quoted it... Being able to hold a motorbike is a good guide for sheds, if you ask me. The point is the difference between a floor at ground level against a (usually timber) floor that can be up to a foot above ground level. He didn't specify whether it is a small electric mower for cutting a postage stamp size lawn, or a no turn ride on because he has an acre of his own and also cuts the community greens. I'm giving all the information.
    If he is going 13x10 then its fair to assume it will be a bit more than a deckchair and a scissors. At that size you want a well supported floor, motorbike or not.

Did I mention I used to build timber sheds? Sorry, I should have. Max size timber floor is 10x10, anything larger and it comes in 2 pieces or more. Where that joint is could be the exact spot he heaviest thing in the shed sits.

We were often called to replace light steel sheds that had blown away in a storm because someone left a door open.
    I have no experience with clane sheds. They may be amazing.
    I am giving my experience (vast, compared to many others) for the benefit of the OP.
    It is up to the OP to decide whether to listen or not.

Not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'd be a bit worried about damp ingress under the walls of a steel shed which doesn't have a concrete base. Maybe the ones that come with bases already have this solved, but you really need something with a damp proof membrane.

I've a 5 year old Steeltech shed on a concrete base, has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

What's the cost of a shed from clane for those that bought. They have no prices. I'd be looking at 10 x 10

Mines 10 by 20.
    Was just over 3000 I think

Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jgalvin

How good does the access have to be? I wanted to put a 10x10 steeltech shed in a woodland area on the other side of the garden and a lorry wouldn't get near it, but you can wheel a hand truck or a wheelbarrow over there no bother. Would that be OK?

How much should it cost to get someone to put a concrete base down?

jgalvin wrote: »
    How good does the access have to be? I wanted to put a 10x10 steeltech shed in a woodland area on the other side of the garden and a lorry wouldn't get near it, but you can wheel a hand truck or a wheelbarrow over there no bother. Would that be OK?

How much should it cost to get someone to put a concrete base down?

Best part of 3 grand. My lads brought their own concrete,I'm lucky that there are numerous concrete suppliers nearby, but its as easy to mix yourself on site, expect to add cost for the hire of a mixer for the day. They'll have to dig the site out level first,(add cost of hire mini-digger) put down a course of hardcore (weed block membrane first if you like, but not essential), compact hardcore flat with a whacker(add cost of hire), set shoring boards level, mix and pour concrete to approved depth, level it off. Day and a half work max. If all materials available and ready to go.
    Using readymix and having easy access means they can do the job in a straight day usually, in your case it could take 2 days or more.
    Now by my maths, that's about 5 tonne of hardcore, cement and sand you want to be barrowed to site.(about €50 per tonne for hardcore and sand, cement can vary, but woodies were doing 4x25kg for €20.) Most wheelbarrows will carry 50kg at a time. In reality they'll use a mini loadall (add cost of hire) to bring materials to site. Nobody will barrow 5 tonne of materials to a site unless they have plenty of spare time.

When all that is done you need to make sure the shed installer has safe access to the site too.
    My advice, visit the shed showroom, they have guys they recommend for concrete slab, give one a call, most are happy to come and look at a site and give you the plain truth. Expect to be punished financially for having poor access.

Best part of 3 grand. My lads brought their own concrete,I'm lucky that there are numerous concrete suppliers nearby, but its as easy to mix yourself on site, expect to add cost for the hire of a mixer for the day. They'll have to dig the site out level first,(add cost of hire mini-digger) put down a course of hardcore (weed block membrane first if you like, but not essential), compact hardcore flat with a whacker(add cost of hire), set shoring boards level, mix and pour concrete to approved depth, level it off. Day and a half work max. If all materials available and ready to go.
    Using readymix and having easy access means they can do the job in a straight day usually, in your case it could take 2 days or more.
    Now by my maths, that's about 5 tonne of hardcore, cement and sand you want to be barrowed to site.(about €50 per tonne for hardcore and sand, cement can vary, but woodies were doing 4x25kg for €20.) Most wheelbarrows will carry 50kg at a time. In reality they'll use a mini loadall (add cost of hire) to bring materials to site. Nobody will barrow 5 tonne of materials to a site unless they have plenty of spare time.

When all that is done you need to make sure the shed installer has safe access to the site too.
    My advice, visit the shed showroom, they have guys they recommend for concrete slab, give one a call, most are happy to come and look at a site and give you the plain truth. Expect to be punished financially for having poor access.

Thanks for the advice, I had no idea it would be such a big job to get the concrete down and hadn't considered that there would be so much material. I'll call them to send someone out to look at the site.

Well if you consider Hardcore alone, for a 10x10 (3m x3m) pad you need a Ton and a Half just for 15CM deep.
    Allowing for a 1:2:4 ratio for your slab, 15cm deep, thats another 3 tonne of agg, 1 and a half tonne of sand and 29 x 25kg bags of cement.
    I'm assuming the site is level with a nearby connection for water?

Thanks for the advice, I had no idea it would be such a big job to get the concrete down and hadn't considered that there would be so much material. I'll call them to send someone out to look at the site.

If your not in a rush, have time on weekends and are fit and healthy, you'd manage it on your own handy enough.You'd prob be as well buy a small mixer though and sell it on afterwards, prob wouldnt lose more than €100 on it.

bamayang wrote: »
    If your not in a rush, have time on weekends and are fit and healthy, you'd manage it on your own handy enough.You'd prob be as well buy a small mixer though and sell it on afterwards, prob wouldnt lose more than €100 on it.

Living Social had handy size petrol mixers for about 250 there recently. It would pay for itself in no time, if you were doing paths, patio slabs etc. A bit small for building a house with but fine for small batch work like this.

• Advertisement

I think I would enjoy the work, and have the time, just paranoid that I would make a hames of it and the guys who assemble the shed would reject me on the day!
    Maybe I should just plonk down a barna with a wooden floor and get 12 years out of it... nothing heavier than a lawnmower inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Not sure where you are based, but a decent wooden shed with regular maintenance will last many years.

I got a 16x10 back in 2006 from moody Brothers outside Kildare Town http://cms.moodybrothersgardensheds.com/garden-sheds/ (site is not great)

It gets a lick of fencelife every couple of years. Got roof refelted 2 years ago.

It's still as good as new.

Carrys the usual garden shed stuff and acts as a little workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I can still recommend the happy medium...wooden frame, steel clad shed ...very happy with mine so far. Bone dry, no maintenance, low cost

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107161271

That's a 100 kg lawnmower and a motorbike in there btw ...:D

I did however re-inforce and creosote the wood floor before I put it down (got it delivered in advance of the shed)

That's a decent floor.

I think I would enjoy the work, and have the time, just paranoid that I would make a hames of it and the guys who assemble the shed would reject me on the day!
    Maybe I should just plonk down a barna with a wooden floor and get 12 years out of it... nothing heavier than a lawnmower inside.

Ah ya couldnt really make a balls of it. Just look at a few youtube videos and have a go. There's a good explainer video on steeltech website showing how to do it. Ya'd get great satisfaction from doing it yourself, and save yourself a ball of cash.

Advertisement