Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tool for hedge cutting

Options
  • 10-01-2021 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

I've got a laurel hedge (I think) that is over 6 foot tall. I've been trimming it with my battery hedge trimmer but I'd like to take about 2 foot off the top to be able to see over it more.

My trimmer won't go through it so I was wondering what to use instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its slow but I always used to do laurel with a decent pair of secateurs and a saw where it got too out of hand.

Your biggest issue is getting a decent line.

Probably easier in the long run to cut it down a good bit lower than you really need it so it can grow back up to the height you want. Then you can go back to making horrible mess of the top with your battery hedge trimmer. Sorry I just think a hedge with large leaves looks a dog with all the leaves cut to bits.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Agree with above but would add a lopper for cutting stuff too heavy for secateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

ah right, this is going to be hard work then, I've about 20 meters of it and was hoping there'd be a powered tool option.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭peter4918

ah right, this is going to be hard work then, I've about 20 meters of it and was hoping there'd be a powered tool option.

Get a good petrol hedge trimmer and it will do a great job for you. Cut it to the height you want no need to go lower. Cut around late spring/early summer to give it a chance for new growth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

peter4918 wrote: »
    Get a good petrol hedge trimmer and it will do a great job for you. Cut it to the height you want no need to go lower. Cut around late spring/early summer to give it a chance for new growth

No, cut below final height otherwise you’ll always be catching old wood when trimming in future, as previous posters said, secateurs/saw/loppers are by far the best way to do the job, however a petrol machine will also work, not necessarily easier though as you have the weight of the machine to wrestle with.

Also try and cut before growth starts and the sap rises, don’t wait until early summer.

Obviously don’t cut either if there is a beast from the east happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Petrol all the way, and don't cheap it too much, cheaper are generally heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I was going to rent one rather than buy, then I can just use my one to stay on top of it.

I was going to rent one rather than buy, then I can just use my one to stay on top of it.

might work alright, i gave up on electric years ago, they wouldnt work on my leylandiis anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got a guy in with a hedge cutter on a tractor a few months ago. Did a great job on 30ft hedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    might work alright, i gave up on electric years ago, they wouldnt work on my leylandiis anyway

Maybe you should try modern battery stuff, my stihl telescopic battery machine is as good if not better than petrol.

• Advertisement

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Maybe you should try modern battery stuff, my stihl telescopic battery machine is as good if not better than petrol.

might do that, when the petrol dies

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Loppers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

peter4918 wrote: »

:eek: There's no way my petrol hedge trimmer would get through my laurel 50cm from the top before my arm dropped off! And that's a machine that I use on oak, hawthorn, willow and any number of other woody stems. The laurel is just way too thick.

I agree with The Continenal Op: laurel looks a lot better when tidied by hand; but if you are going to use a powered cutter, then definitely cut (well) below the desired final height and let it grow back up and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Fuzzo

If you know anyone with a chainsaw get them in to do it, I’ve reduced many hedges that way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭elperello

AlgerShane wrote: »
    Loppers

They give a lovely clean cut and do the minimum of damage to the plant.

Advertisement