Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved in, room mate never mentioned rabbit

Options
  • 13-02-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys,

My friend just moved into an apartment a couple of months ago. His room mate waited a month before bringing over her pet rabbit from her boyfriend's place.

My friend never bothered mentioning he didn't like domestic pets (it's an apartment) because he didn't think it was necessary -she never mentioned it!

He was sort of left without a choice when the rabbit arrived as the deposit etc was already handed over at the time and the contract was signed, then the rabbit, its cage and all the other things (shedding, droppings, nibbling on his shirts on the clothes horse) were suddenly all over the place.

How can I advise him to deal with this situation? Anyone been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Pretty sure the lease on the apartment would prohibit pets being kept. Any lease I have ever signed had a clause in it prohibiting pets. Is you friend subletting or did he sign a lease with a landlord / agent??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get him to say it to the roommate to keep the rabbit under control and clean. Whether or not its allowed in the lease, its unacceptable to have it chewing clothes and generally causing a mess about the apartment. Its just common decency to have your pets not cause an annoyance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

djimi wrote: »
    Get him to say it to the roommate to keep the rabbit under control and clean. Whether or not its allowed in the lease, its unacceptable to have it chewing clothes and generally causing a mess about the apartment. Its just common decency to have your pets not cause an annoyance.
    Have rabbit stew for din-din

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Is your friend Bishop Brennan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tell her that the rabbit has to stay in her room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Tell her to keep the rabbit in her room at all times, that it's not to be out wandering around the apartment.

I live in an apartment, and have considered having a pet rabbit (they not going to disturb other apartments, unlike some other pets), but they're incredibly destructive. I couldn't keep one as I wouldn't fancy keeping it confined to a single room, but know that anything below knee height (particularly electric cables, furniture, skirting boards, doors...) is fair game and will be ruined.

She obviously hasn't house trained it if there are droppings around the place.

How will the landlord feel about having the place wrecked? Will it affect his deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tell your friend to ask the landlord about the rabbit, and to mention to the landlord that your friend isn't happy with the destruction of their property by the rabbit, or the rabbit sh|t everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

If the rabbit is that destructive it's definitely because it is being held wrongly and is bored.

People tend to ignore that rabbits need space and a partner. I have been pet rabbits for over 10 years now and my rabbits are fully house trained and while there is the occasional attempt to check here and there it can be avoided by training your pet and making the room "rabbit safe". Alone the fact she keeps the poor thing in a cage makes me cringe but that's beside the point here.

She is probably breaking the lease by having the rabbit without permission and should be made aware of that. Droppings and litter around the house and especially chewed belongings is unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If your friend does not mention it to the landlord he runs the risk of having money deducted from his deposit for damage to the property when he decides to move out. If the flatmate is allowed to keep the rabbit your friend should seek an addendum to his lease that he is not responsible for pet related damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have rabbit stew for din-din
    Can we keep things constructive please?

Separate, offensive post deleted

• Advertisement
Advertisement