Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I was flicking through movie channels last night and I noticed on the listing that Love Actually was on and I thought brilliant haven't seen this in a few years so clicked it on.
    Didn't cop what time it was so when it came on there was only 5 bloody minutes left!
    Enjoyed the airport scene at the end but couldn't believe how disappointed I was that I couldn't see at least more of it :)

Was just wondering here, when does the thread Christmas out of season become relevant? Too soon yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Was just wondering here, when does the thread Christmas out of season become relevant? Too soon yet?

Nope not too soon in my opinion we are technically out of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Posy wrote: »
    I haven't even started my shopping yet! :eek:

Having a giggle here Posy. Nice to be laughing at someone else ... went into takeaway this evening and sanitised my hands with vinegar!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Odeta wrote: »
    Having a giggle here Posy. Nice to be laughing at someone else ... went into takeaway this evening and sanitised my hands with vinegar!

That’s so funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Slight frost and dark this morning feels Christmassy. Not sure why. Maybe it’s the exhaustion because our littlest was up half the night. The last 5-6 Christmas’s have all involved sleep deprivation (this one was better to be fair)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Nope not too soon in my opinion we are technically out of season.

Jan 7th is the obvious start, 12 days of Christmas and little Christmas gone... so unless you follow some other calendar its really the end of the season for the majority of people, IMO anyway.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Can't believe we only took the tree down last Sunday, it feels like its been gone about a month! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

I find it alarming that we're over half way through January already...in a good way! :eek: :D

• Advertisement

Having the most deliciously lazy day. After a very rare lie in I took the dogs on a river walk. I’m fireside now watching Pillow Talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I booked my Christmas holidays for this year already :D. Assuming we get nearly everyone vaccinated, both my cousin, his wife and his daughter (who none of us have met yet) will be over from Australia, and my sister and husband will also be visiting next Christmas. So decided to go ahead and book the time off already.

Can't believe we only took the tree down last Sunday, it feels like its been gone about a month! :)
    Oh my god, it does not feel like only last weekend! :eek:

Still 2 full weeks left in January too... what a rotten month it is at the best of times, but with the added restrictions its just depressing.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Does anyone else find the Sunday fear is not as bad when you’re working from home?

Does anyone else find the Sunday fear is not as bad when you’re working from home?

I still get the auld Glenroes from time to time. Eating a slice of chocolate cake with a cuppa is my medicine for that ailment!

Definitely. Getting up isn't any easier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Some trees still up where I live :)

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Some trees still up where I live :)

5 apartments round my way this morning still had their christmas lights on the balcony, helps with the morning walks :)

• Advertisement

We noticed on our walk yesterday afternoon a couple of apartments out this way with lights on balconies & at least one with their tree still in the window. Fair play to them.

DvB wrote: »
    We noticed on our walk yesterday afternoon a couple of apartments out this way with lights on balconies & at least one with their tree still in the window. Fair play to them.

Lights I can totally understand leaving up, the Tree I think would make me sad the longer it stayed up past the 7th. It's a constant reminder of better days gone by.

Lights I can totally understand leaving up, the Tree I think would make me sad the longer it stayed up past the 7th. It's a constant reminder of better days gone by.

Agree 100%.
    I've mentioned it before that the years I get the post christmas blues less so are the ones we pack our stuff away & get back to 'normal' as soon as we can. If I can avoid too much christmas reminiscing I'm usually okay, having the tree up into the latter half of January wouldnt be doing much for me on that score.

Must admit I'm still looking back at Christmas stuff a fair bit atm though as there's little on the horizon to look forward to. Will be sticking on a christmas podcast later today as well as I have a few to catch up on now. Will be trying to stagger them out a bit more after binging on a load of them last Summer & Autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm loving having my tree up, no sadness at all. Now I wasn't here from the 19th to the start of January so I have no Christmas memories about it. I also have a very large sitting room so it's not in the way at all.

I'm taking my kitchen tree down later this week/this weekend, and my hall tree down on Candlemas day. :)

Must admit I'm still looking back at Christmas stuff a fair bit atm though as there's little on the horizon to look forward to. Will be sticking on a christmas podcast later today as well as I have a few to catch up on now. Will be trying to stagger them out a bit more after binging on a load of them last Summer & Autumn.

Merry Britmas and Tis the Podcast are great for out of season listens, I find Cant wait for Christmas is too Christmas heavy compared to the other 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Only get in now to catch. I would usually be on first thing however that time is now used to get school stuff etc ready before brekkie!

One of the things I miss most about going to the office, was getting that first cuppa when I arrived and popping into the forum for a read and catch up. Good days :(

Merry Britmas and Tis the Podcast are great for out of season listens, I find Cant wait for Christmas is too Christmas heavy compared to the other 2.

I listen to all 3 TBH but agree, i tend to leave CWFC until the end of summer & then binge a bit. I skip a few of the CWFH 'specials' too as couldn't buy into the cross podcast collaborations etc.

I skip a few of the CWFH 'specials' too as couldn't buy into the cross podcast collaborations etc.

Yep I do the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Happy Pooh Day!
    137290702_3752957221478747_2474611227175761121_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=FcfvNvsz-TYAX9h6giA&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8dcccdc03d7f6a197e2e41a4d3e0dfcb&oe=602ACDFF

Happy Pooh Day!
    137290702_3752957221478747_2474611227175761121_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=FcfvNvsz-TYAX9h6giA&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8dcccdc03d7f6a197e2e41a4d3e0dfcb&oe=602ACDFF

Mmmmm honey.......

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Mmmmm honey.......

At least you weren't like me and immediately thought of Nutella! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Apparently this is also referred to as "Blue Monday"

Supposedly people feel deflated around now after Christmas:)

I have to say I was busy all day and I'm feeling fine:D

Hope everyone else is too:):)

Sorry, Loughc, I'm only seeing your post on the other thread now:o

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Apparently this is also referred to as "Blue Monday"

Supposedly people feel deflated around now after Christmas:)

I have to say I was busy all day and I'm feeling fine:D

Hope everyone else is too:):)

Sorry, Loughc, I'm only seeing your post on the other thread now:o

No apologies needed.

Same as yourself I was busy all day and didn’t get chance to think of being blue.

The weather almost sucked me into feeling blue but thankfully the rain stayed away from all my walks.

I guess it makes sense- the weather is dismal, mornings are dark, it seems like Christmas happened 34 years ago, it's far enough into January for us to realise what a catastrophic failure this month (or, in 2021- year) is already, most people are still carrying 2 stone of holiday weight, and there are still 2 full weeks of January left.

And this year we don't even have looking up sun holidays to console us!

On the plus side... there is a good stretch in the evenings already. :pac:

I guess it makes sense- the weather is dismal, mornings are dark, it seems like Christmas happened 34 years ago, it's far enough into January for us to realise what a catastrophic failure this month (or, in 2021- year) is already, most people are still carrying 2 stone of holiday weight, and there are still 2 full weeks of January left.

On the plus side... there is a good stretch in the evenings already. :pac:

The fact that my tree only came down just over a week ago feels like a joke. That was clearly 7 months ago.

most people are still carrying 2 stone of holiday weight, :

Posy, you must have seen me somewhere:D

Note to self, "get some self control":o:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Blue Monday is totally made up, by the travel industry way back in 2005. Pay no heed!

Car failed the NCT at the weekend (minor issue) so having frozen my bits off at the NCT centre, I had to freeze outside the garage today. The sooner Covid fecks off the better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Well I was feeling ok!.....:)

I did say that there's a grand stretch in the evenings! :D

Caranica wrote: »
    Blue Monday is totally made up, by the travel industry way back in 2005. Pay no heed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I did say that there's a grand stretch in the evenings! :D

True I'll let ya off this time :D

It might be the weather as it was a miserable evening last night and was still raining this morning but boy am I lacking energy this morning and feeling just meh.

It might be the weather as it was a miserable evening last night and was still raining this morning but boy am I lacking energy this morning and feeling just meh.

You and me both. Tuesdays are always worse then Mondays.

Have to take over the schooling now at 9.30 and really struggling already. Will put a brave face on it for the kids and suck it up and get on with it.

TRS30 wrote: »
    You and me both. Tuesdays are always worse then Mondays.

Agree. We always said Tuesday was the worst day of the week, we nickname it Terrible Tuesday. Monday has a novelty value being the start of the week, but all energy is well used up by Tuesday so its just 'meh'
    Wednesday is the midpoint & Thursday is looking to the weekend, Friday being my favourite work day as its practically the weekend & I love wrapping up on Friday evening with the weekend to look forward to.

Agree. We always said Tuesday was the worst day of the week, we nickname it Terrible Tuesday. Monday has a novelty value being the start of the week, but all energy is well used up by Tuesday so its just 'meh'
    Wednesday is the midpoint & Thursday is looking to the weekend, Friday being my favourite work day as its practically the weekend & I love wrapping up on Friday evening with the weekend to look forward to.

As I was once asked if Tuesday was a colour, what colour would it be?
    The answer I found out is a bit rude:p
    Put it this way, it's a certain shade of brown.
    Sorry if I've grossed anyone out.

As I was once asked if Tuesday was a colour, what colour would it be?
    The answer I found out is a bit rude:p
    Put it this way, it's a certain shade of brown.
    Sorry if I've grossed anyone out.

Haha, I guess the answer before I got to the third line :)

Completely agree BTW.

I was meant to go for a run tonight but it is lashing out! Time to put the feet up instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I was meant to go for a run tonight but it is lashing out! Time to put the feet up instead!

Yea that happened me too :D

I was planning on running to the fridge :D

Was up at 6.30am and had planned to do a workout out the back however came down to rain belting off the kitchen roof so had a cup of coffee and watched Fireman Sam (with the young lad and not on my own, obviously:D) instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well we're into the 330's!

Advertisement