Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helleborus appreciation thread

Options
  • 27-03-2020 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I really think these are wonderful plants. Lovely colour foliage throughout the year and the most beautiful flowers during the Christmas period.

Probably my favourite plant (up there with dahlias).

Particular favourite of mine is the winter rose variety. Beautiful flowers.

After promising for a few years that I would do so, I went out this year to try pick up a few additional hellebores plants. I left it pretty late (ie early January) and found virtually none in the garden centres.

(I did manage to pick one variety - a tiny one called “christmas Carol” which was so small it’s hard to know what to make of it, but I’ve put him into a bigger pot now so he may expand).

I may now attempt to harvest the seeds from my winter rose and sew them.

Any comments celebrating this wonderful plant or tips or comments on the above.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

They're amazing plants, almost the perfect looking flower.

The regency style heleborus are my favourite, Im not a fan of modern hybrids.
    The originals are always the best.

They're really nice in shrubberies and entrances to woodlands or exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Beautiful, but what a spreader. Can be a bit of a thug in a shrub border, need to deadhead promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭messin doorman

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Beautiful, but what a spreader. Can be a bit of a thug in a shrub border, need to deadhead promptly.

I have a helleborus Christmas carol which is attempting to flower now (two small flowers beginning to emerge). Should I cut off the flowers to ensure winter flowering?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I wouldn't, I could be wrong but these could be the last flowers of the last season. If it's happy to flower now, leave it be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭standardg60

Super advice as usual New Home.
    Though not sure a Hellebore appreciation thread will have too many legs.
    Two things with them, cut the leaves to the ground in late Autumn so the flowers can be seen, and cut the flowers as soon as they fade to stop the effers seeding everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ah shtop! I'll get a big head... and it's already cabbaged, so I'm half way there... :D

not sure a Hellebore appreciation thread will have too many legs.

Sad to hear that!

Question folks. I have a christmas carol variety and a winter rose variety.

Will they cross breed?

What sort of monster will ibe left with?

More importantly any tips on pollinating these plants?

Thanks

Question folks. I have a christmas carol variety and a winter rose variety.

Will they cross breed?

What sort of monster will ibe left with?

More importantly any tips on pollinating these plants?

Thanks

Just in case, anyone?

Just in case, anyone?

Waste of time. Useless ****in *****.

• Advertisement

Charming. Ever thought that maybe nobody had an answer for you?

Just in case, anyone?

Waste of time. Useless ****in *****.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

messin doorman, it looks like nobody was able to give you the answer you need, but no need for the verbal abuse if you don't mind.

Advertisement