Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wayleave, drainage pipe.

Options
  • 26-09-2019 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

There is a drain pipe from two gulleys on the road alongside my property and I would like it removed as it could be an issue if I want to extend in the future.

I had the council down three years ago and they were no help.

I have recently been in contact with the council again, they said they might be able to lower the pipe but I'd imagine I wouldn't be allowed to build over it in the future.

The council engineers that I dealt with 3 years ago said it was probably a verbal agreement back in the day giving permission for the pipe to go through my property.

If there is no record of a wayleave is it possible to get it removed from my property altogether or rerouted in such a way that it won't hinder me in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

murph226 wrote: »
    If there is no record of a wayleave is it possible to get it removed from my property altogether or rerouted in such a way that it won't hinder me in the future?

You might get agreement from the council to reroute if you are willing to pay for the cost. If it joins up with another surface water pipe on the public side it may pose a difficult task in that the council might have to break and reconnect. Can break the pipe at both ends in your property, move it over to the boundary and connect up again thereby giving you expansion space?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The local authority, and Irish Water if they are involved, have a lot of rights in this situation. The fact that there is no documented way leave doesn't necessarily mean they have no rights.

In practice, if you want this pipe re-routed, you are going to have to pay the cost of moving it.

Is there an obvious way of re-routing it that will allow adequate fall?

If there is a straightforward way of re-routing the pipe, then I don't see why you couldn't move it in the future as part of overall future works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Sorry I should have mentioned the pipe drains into a field outside my boundary, the field is now a building site/new estate.

I am contacting the developer tomorrow to see what they say about it or what their plan is for it or do they even know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

No irish water if surface water just LA

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do you really need to extend ?

Would you get planning permission it sounds like this is right on the road. So I doubt you'd get even close to permission.

Have you considered the flood problems if it wasn't draining.

I'm sure it wasn't put in for the crack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement