Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Spaces

Options
  • 24-09-2019 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Have a house in an estate, each house has a single parking spot; as you can imagine some houses have 2 or 3 cars, and some people are parking in spots that don't belong to their house. The mgt company says that they have no part to play in any issues that arise between householders, so was just wondering what the rules/law is in relation to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Do you have allocated spaces? Are they specified in the deeds?

Firblog wrote: »
    Have a house in an estate, each house has a single parking spot; as you can imagine some houses have 2 or 3 cars, and some people are parking in spots that don't belong to their house. The mgt company says that they have no part to play in any issues that arise between householders, so was just wondering what the rules/law is in relation to this.

Unless they're numbered, it's usually 1st up - best dressed. If the spots are driveways, then you might have one each but normally if it's on the street it's fair game. Sucks, really, but thems the rules. If it becomes a major issue, you can float the idea of a numbered spot for everyone's house. Just make sure the numbers don't match the door numbers for security purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Firblog

The spaces are numbered ok, couldn't say if they're on the deeds, planning for the estate has one space allocated per house.

The spaces are numbered ok, couldn't say if they're on the deeds, planning for the estate has one space allocated per house.

Yes but are specific spaces allocated to specific houses. In my development planning has 1.5 spaces per unit. We have a register of cars so we can identify cars parked where they shouldn't be. The management company could introduce clamping but it will be contentious.

The mgt company put the numbers on the spaces a couple of months ago due to rows about what space belonged to which house., seems to have made matters worse if anything. Personally I wasn't too put out if someone was in 'my' spot, I'd just park in a free one, and if there were none free I'd park opposite, 5m extra walk home.. on Tuesday morning there was a note under my wiper asking me not to park in that spot, I hadn't gotten home till 11.30pm and just used the empty one.. as I don't see any logic in having free designated car parking spots and parking elsewhere.. I'm not there most weekends should my spot be kept empty? But I suppose some people are a bit retentive about others using 'their' stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The mgt company put the numbers on the spaces a couple of months ago due to rows about what space belonged to which house., seems to have made matters worse if anything. Personally I wasn't too put out if someone was in 'my' spot, I'd just park in a free one, and if there were none free I'd park opposite, 5m extra walk home.. on Tuesday morning there was a note under my wiper asking me not to park in that spot, I hadn't gotten home till 11.30pm and just used the empty one.. as I don't see any logic in having free designated car parking spots and parking elsewhere.. I'm not there most weekends should my spot be kept empty? But I suppose some people are a bit retentive about others using 'their' stuff

I used to work shift, when I arrived back at 2-3am dead tired the carpark was always full. I had to park a 10 minute walk away and get up before 7am to move the car again. By parking in another spot on site, your just compounding the problem.

The management company(apartment owners) should start paying for clampers. Most people hate them, but 90% of the problem cars will magically disappear overnight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Find out what exactly the situation is.
    It will be spelt out in the title deeds for each unit.
    In all probability it is unassigned parking- with each unit entitled to park 1 car (or motorcycle etc) in the development.
    It is not in the giving of the Management Company to assign parking spaces to units- unless it is specifically provided for in leasehold leases.

As for bringing in clamping- honestly- you might imagine it *might* solve some issues- however, if/where houses have more than 1 car- you're simply going to be playing cat and mouse and mayhem will ensue.

You need to coldly and calmly figure out what precisely the issue is first of all- and then come to an agreed solution to the issue.

If people are allowed to park 1 vehicle in the complex- you could ask them to identify the registration number of the vehicle they wish to park in the complex- and target vehicles other than the identified ones (and if people don't identify a car- they don't get to complain if/when their car is plastered in hard-to-remove stickers or clamped.

Its a perennial problem- made worse by modern planning which has no cognisance of the simple fact that in most households there is more than one person going out to work- and in a significant number of cases, they both drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

loyatemu wrote: »

Was going to say the same, aldi had them for cheap recently might still be some lying around your local one.

Doesn't look like the parking spaces are owned so that's not an option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Was going to say the same, aldi had them for cheap recently might still be some lying around your local one.

You can only do that if you have an official designated parking spot.
    It appears that this development is a first come first served.

kceire wrote: »
    You can only do that if you have an official designated parking spot.
    It appears that this development is a first come first served.

If they have been given designated spaces then it’s not first come first served. I’d chance it anyway until some complains and made me remove it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If they have been given designated spaces then it’s not first come first served. I’d chance it anyway until some complains and made me remove it.

If they are designated parking spots with numbers related to the house then I agree. But without the info I wouldn’t risk it. If someone trips or damages their car on it, who is liable?

If the parking spot matched my house number then I’d be probably more inclined to agree so OP, if you live in No. 37 and the parking spot numbered 37 is yours then I’d chance my arm with a parking pole.

People done it in an estate my mate lives in but they were told to remove them.

https://goo.gl/maps/svBwQvvs2t37B3TC8

To say nothing of vandalism of common areas! Our management company would come down on anyone who tried that like a ton of bricks.

We had an egm to vote on allocated parking, we had about 90% attendance (AGMs get about 10%) but it was defeated so it's first come first served. We do have a register of cars though so we know if people try to take the proverbial.

The mgt company seem to have changed their opinion recently, a couple of years ago they said they couldn't number the parking spots, but that changed this year for some reason.. guess I'll have to go to the next agm to find out for definite if there's a parking spot on the deeds of each house. As said I've not been bothered with others parking where they do, however if someone is going to ask me not to park in certain places I'd like to know if they really have the right to do so.

Advertisement