Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CVRT Tests

Options
  • 16-01-2021 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello, I wonder can I get some advice please?
    I got my 2003 Hymer B564 A class, tested yesterday as a Light Commercial Vehicle, 3500KG on Registration Certificate, on all previous CVRTs, on Hymers VIN plate and the Tax is E102. It was imported in 2007 and was classed as under 3500 KG by Revenue.
    It passed the CVRT and I got the Pass Statement, when I went home I noticed they had classed it as 3900Kg. I rang the test centre and they said they had got that weight from the ALCO Vin plate and their supposed to read the highest weight marked on any Vin plate. The Camper weighs 2800KG and the Hymer Vin Plate shows. 3500KG, 5500KG for towing, Axel 1: 1850KG, Axel 2: 2120KG.
    I am have had Campers since late 80s and I have always used this CVRT centre since the tests were required. I don't have a C license and I purchased this Camper in August 2020, after I checked everything.
    Any ideas please. Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

batsi wrote: »
    Hello, I wonder can I get some advice please?
    I got my 2003 Hymer B564 A class, tested yesterday as a Light Commercial Vehicle, 3500KG on Registration Certificate, on all previous CVRTs, on Hymers VIN plate and the Tax is E102. It was imported in 2007 and was classed as under 3500 KG by Revenue.
    It passed the CVRT and I got the Pass Statement, when I went home I noticed they had classed it as 3900Kg. I rang the test centre and they said they had got that weight from the ALCO Vin plate and their supposed to read the highest weight marked on any Vin plate. The Camper weighs 2800KG and the Hymer Vin Plate shows. 3500KG, 5500KG for towing, Axel 1: 1850KG, Axel 2: 2120KG.
    I am have had Campers since late 80s and I have always used this CVRT centre since the tests were required. I don't have a C license and I purchased this Camper in August 2020, after I checked everything.
    Any ideas please. Thank you.

The CVRT is wrong.
    Motorhomes go through at least three stages of build,
    First, the base vehicle, FIAT in your case if it has an ALKO chassis
    Second the modification by ALKO when the chassis is fitted
    Third (usually last) the body builder, in your case Hymer who generate the vehicles Certificate of Conformity CLICK TO SEE EXPLANATION and sell the vehicle to the market.
    It is the final plate, the most recently issued, which is the correct plate, in your case the Hymer plate.

The weight showing at F.1 on the registration cert should be what was recorded when the vehicle was being VRT's but unfortunately the clerk doing the data input may have put in a ZERO or bunch of 5's. It's a mandatory field but often populated with any old number.

If you have the CoC the GVW will be shown on it at line 14.1 as 3,500kg and that can't be argued with, it's basically the vehicle's birth cert.

PS.just noticed you say it's 3,500kg on the registration cert, that's a legal government document about the vehicle, do dont wory about the licence issue. But do follow up on the CVRT mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 batsi

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The CVRT is wrong.
    Motorhomes go through at least three stages of build,
    First, the base vehicle, FIAT in your case if it has an ALKO chassis
    Second the modification by ALKO when the chassis is fitted
    Third (usually last) the body builder, in your case Hymer who generate the vehicles Certificate of Conformity CLICK TO SEE EXPLANATION and sell the vehicle to the market.
    It is the final plate, the most recently issued, which is the correct plate, in your case the Hymer plate.

The weight showing at F.1 on the registration cert should be what was recorded when the vehicle was being VRT's but unfortunately the clerk doing the data input may have put in a ZERO or bunch of 5's. It's a mandatory field but often populated with any old number.

If you have the CoC the GVW will be shown on it at line 14.1 as 3,500kg and that can't be argued with, it's basically the vehicle's birth cert.

PS.just noticed you say it's 3,500kg on the registration cert, that's a legal government document about the vehicle, do dont wory about the licence issue. But do follow up on the CVRT mistake.

Thank you for your reply, I think the tester just took the ALKO VIN as the latest one but they won't change it. I have the three VINS as well. Fiat, ALCO and Hymer.
    Cheer's, John.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

batsi wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, I think the tester just took the ALKO VIN as the latest one but they won't change it. I have the three VINS as well. Fiat, ALCO and Hymer.
    Cheer's, John.

The ALKO VIN can't be the last one as Alko did not build the vehicle, Hymer did. Your Certificate of Registration confirms that.
    I would forget about the tester, he/she obviously doesn't know their stuff regarding motor caravans, take the issue up with the RSA directly at

Vehicle Testing and Enforcement
    Road Safety Authority
    Clonfert House
    Bride Street
    Loughrea
    Co Galway

Tel: 091 872600
    Email: vt@rsa.ie

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The ALKO VIN can't be the last one as Alko did not build the vehicle, Hymer did. Your Certificate of Registration confirms that.
    I would forget about the tester, he/she obviously doesn't know their stuff regarding motor caravans, take the issue up with the RSA directly at

Vehicle Testing and Enforcement
    Road Safety Authority
    Clonfert House
    Bride Street
    Loughrea
    Co Galway

Tel: 091 872600
    Email: vt@rsa.ie

Thank's for the reply.
    I will ring them today and update.
    Best regards, John.

Went back today and they were going to test it as an LGV. They checked the Hymer VIN against the ALCO plate and the VIN was different. I then checked the Hymer VIN on a German site and it came uo as a Hymer Camper. So it looks as if I will have to contact the CVRT again. I also found the first Registration Cert from Germany and it shows the Max weight as 3500kg.

I have just rang Donagheys ( Main Hymer Dealer) in Letterkenny and a very helpful man Jerry told me the plate on the body of the Camper I have does show the Hymer Serial number and that's not the VIN number of the Vehicle. I then rang the CVRT tester and he said he would contact the RSA and get back to me. So I will just wait and see.

• Advertisement

Everything sorted now, had the test yesterday and passed as LGV. Camper should be classed as 3500kg on the Cert so I wont have a problem with the insurance or the License. I would like to thank you all for your help, without it I would have had a long road ahead of me.

Thanks again, John.

Advertisement