Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PREVIOUS PENSIONABLE SERVICE?

Options
  • 29-06-2020 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

Hoping some one might be able to help me.

I'm trying to trace past service that might be pensionable and I need to go back about 30 years.

I did lots of subbing in the early days as well as night classes. In those days it was all with VECs.

So two main questions: I saw something about 9 hours weekly on the form for verification of service. Does that mean you had to do a minimum of 9 hours for the work to qualify as pensionable service? What happens if you did varied hours on an adhoc basis? Maybe 20 hours one week, 2 the next, a maternity leave somewhere,that kind of thing.

Second question. I heard that night classes wouldn't count as it's not second level. I was teaching Leaving Cert subjects in a VEC school in night classes.

It's messy and complicated and I'm confused already.

If anyone could shed any light or any one who might have already been through this process could give me some info, I'd be hugely grateful.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

Contact the VEC, you might not have paid into a pension when you were subbing, but might be able to buy back pensionable service for those hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks Ulsen. Yes it's buy back I'm talking about if they'll allow it to be counted.

I've done it, I've bought back for subbing work and part time ept contracts. Contact the VEC you were with, they'll have a record of your teaching hours - (just check it matches your own records.), They will calculate the cost to buy back- you will also be able to claim back from revenue a percentage of what you pay.

Thanks again. Great to hear from somebody who's done it. There are three ETB/VECs in question and so far one has replied to my query telling me that yes it can be done. Very efficient. I don't want to do it until I actually retire in about two years as I'm already forking out a nice bit for notional service and AVC.

Would you know if there is a minimum number of hours per week? I had 6 on night classes over a number of years, no reply there yet.

I'm afraid I don't know for sure if there is a minimum number of hours, but I don't think so. The etb, can give you a calculation of how much it will cost, but also by how much it will benefit your pension. Don't forget when your ready to buy back to claim back the tax��.

• Advertisement

Great! Thanks again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

acequion wrote: »
    Hoping some one might be able to help me.

I'm trying to trace past service that might be pensionable and I need to go back about 30 years.

I did lots of subbing in the early days as well as night classes. In those days it was all with VECs.

So two main questions: I saw something about 9 hours weekly on the form for verification of service. Does that mean you had to do a minimum of 9 hours for the work to qualify as pensionable service? What happens if you did varied hours on an adhoc basis? Maybe 20 hours one week, 2 the next, a maternity leave somewhere,that kind of thing.

Second question. I heard that night classes wouldn't count as it's not second level. I was teaching Leaving Cert subjects in a VEC school in night classes.

It's messy and complicated and I'm confused already.

If anyone could shed any light or any one who might have already been through this process could give me some info, I'd be hugely grateful.

Thanks guys.

There is a guy in the department who deals with pensions. Knightly I think is last name. I'd go directly to the department and ask because ultimately it's they who grant you this previous service. It can take a huge amount of time so I'd get going asap. It could take you the two years to sort it . Very understaffed pensions

Advertisement