Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shed Roof

• 18-01-2020 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Has anyone recently done a replacement roof. Looking to get an idea of the cost involved - will need to get it done as I can’t work that sort of jobs anymore. Timbers look OK from the ground anyway. Appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Size ?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

About 6,000 sq ft. Timbers look ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭148multi

About 6,000 sq ft. Timbers look ok

What type of sheeting, width and length, any laps. Are you using grant spec or cheaper. Suggest you speak to CPF Longford or ned stokes.

Thanks. Neighbour put in grant spec tegral sheet. Looks a good job but pricey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

Has anyone recently done a replacement roof. Looking to get an idea of the cost involved - will need to get it done as I can’t work that sort of jobs anymore. Timbers look OK from the ground anyway. Appreciate any feedback.

Id be inclined to change the timbers as well.
    If the sheeting is bad enough to change the timbers probably arent far behind.
    It wod be an akward job to change the timbers in s few years time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

From a rough calculation it will be about €6200 including screws and stitcher screws

Stupid question but is there any grants for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Stupid question but is there any grants for this

Not for rebuild.
    What’s the length and width of the shed.
    It will make it easier to give an idea of price. I did a(95 ft) 6 bay 22” lean to a few years ago. Sheeting cost circa €1500 inc stitchers. Labour was about €700 but I helped too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

9935452 wrote: »

Changed ours recently. The times were inspected and were solid so no need to change.

Damp proof strip added to top of timbers to protect them. White underside has made the shed so much brighter then the galv that was on before.

The length is 115 foot and the width is 46 foot. This is the bit that needs doing. There is a bit more but we did that about 20 years ago and it looks fine with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Sami23

Roughly how much is a standard 15'9" 6x3 treated timber these days and would a 24' 6x3 be much more ?
    Tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭148multi

Sami23 wrote: »
    Roughly how much is a standard 15'9" 6x3 treated timber these days and would a 24' 6x3 be much more ?
    Tia

At 24' would you want a 9" x 3" to carry a roof.

148multi wrote: »
    At 24' would you want a 9" x 3" to carry a roof.

no the 24' is for the side cladding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'll resurrect this rather than start a new one.

What would ye recommend for painting a shed.

Galvanise sheets have oxidised but no rust if that makes sense

Green&Red wrote: »
    I'll resurrect this rather than start a new one.

What would ye recommend for painting a shed.

Galvanise sheets have oxidised but no rust if that makes sense

Oxide Paint from Castle Paints - great paint.
    €100 for 20ltr drums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sami23 wrote: »
    Oxide Paint from Castle Paints - great paint.
    €100 for 20ltr drums

Cheers

Any prep work or just lash it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Anyone know whats the longest you can get sheeting for shed ?, putting up shed next spring ( hay / machinery) and like if possible one long sheet with no overlaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Green&Red wrote: »
    Cheers

Any prep work or just lash it on?

I would have thought you'd want to power hose it down to get a good contact surface with the tin - will remove any glit and reduce the likelihood of the paint bubbling/peeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone know whats the longest you can get sheeting for shed ?, putting up shed next spring ( hay / machinery) and like if possible one long sheet with no overlaps

Local Engineering roll their own sheets to whatever size is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Probably 45ft long - . Transport is the issue from supplier to site .

All that cladding comes in to the suppliers as large rolls and is unrolled and formed into box or corrugated and cut at lengths

Now how you would handle a sheet that length then I don't know on site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Duggans run to 12m, Tegral may do longer sheets

Probably 45ft long - . Transport is the issue from supplier to site .

All that cladding comes in to the suppliers as large rolls and is unrolled and formed into box or corrugated and cut at lengths

Now how you would handle a sheet that length then I don't know on site.

As you say getting it up without kinking , weight etc might be problem. 32ft had in mind ( Think water inclined to weep back at joints and low slope on shed wouldnt help) Prob overthinking it ,suppose with coated sheets not as big an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

As you say getting it up without kinking , weight etc might be problem. 32ft had in mind ( Think water inclined to weep back at joints and low slope on shed wouldnt help) Prob overthinking it ,suppose with coated sheets not as big an issue

small bead or silicon or tec7 transparent between the sheet overlapping

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Just to note that insurance companies tend to not be too pleased about hay and machinery being stored under the same roof in case a spark gets generated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Grueller

I have done 29' on a shed. Rigged up an 18'gate with slings out of it. Sat the sheets on and strapped them to it. Lifted it with a tele porter onto the roof and dropped it onto the timbers. The slings allowed the gate to drop onto the angle of the roof in a few feet from the edge. Slid the first sheet off and into place off ladders and from that platform it was plain sailing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

What pitch are putting on the roof? How long is the span? A good lap and fall should prevent that bar it's a very exposed site. Find 4m or 5m lengths are plenty long enough to be handling without damaging them.

mythos110 wrote: »
    Just to note that insurance companies tend to not be too pleased about hay and machinery being stored under the same roof in case a spark gets generated

Had hay outside covered in light tarp couple years ago ( disaster ) was thinking of hanging this between two areas
    Slope is 1' drop in 7' Planning granted but might tweak a bit when building. Trying to keep low side as high as possible for machinery access
    working off another shed at high side and would rather not have a second gutter iykwim

Grueller wrote: »
    I have done 29' on a shed. Rigged up an 18'gate with slings out of it. Sat the sheets on and strapped them to it. Lifted it with a tele porter onto the roof and dropped it onto the timbers. The slings allowed the gate to drop onto the angle of the roof in a few feet from the edge. Slid the first sheet off and into place off ladders and from that platform it was plain sailing.

we did 28ft corrugated sheets, roof was low, lifted them up sheet by sheet by hand with 2 people .

Fair amount of deflection on them carrying them but the didn't kink.
    I wouldnt want to be lifting box profile in the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

we did 28ft corrugated sheets, roof was low, lifted them up sheet by sheet by hand with 2 people .

Fair amount of deflection on them carrying them but the didn't kink.
    I wouldnt want to be lifting box profile in the same way

If I was doing a 28/32 foot roof sheet would prefer to go half and half i.e. 2 x 14 ft or 2 x 16 ft. Delivery and handling easier - especially if windy.

• Advertisement

Good loser wrote: »
    If I was doing a 28/32 foot roof sheet would prefer to go half and half i.e. 2 x 14 ft or 2 x 16 ft. Delivery and handling easier - especially if windy.

Normally id agree with you but this worked out a treat for us.
    Lifted the sheets onto a bale trailer when they arrived. .
    Parked the bale trailer at the low side of
    the lean to we were sheeting.
    Lifting them up was very easy then .

We wouldnt ho sheeting a shed if it was too windy . Too much a risk of sheets going flying or falling off the roof.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Can you get a bale trailer near the shed? Way to do it is back the trailer up to where the sheet is going, lift the end of the sheet up on to the eaves, support with a loader then slide it up the roof into position. Won’t be simple but doable with 4 people . Collect the sheets from the supplier with the bale trailer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement