Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decent Handle For A Sledgehammer

• 30-07-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Broke the old handle a year ago. Fair enough it had been in it for a few years. Got a new one in the co-op I think it was, have broken it three times in the last 12 months:mad: All it's done is hammer a wedge through a (small!!) amount of knotty timber and put down less than 30 4 inch posts. Is it just a bad handle, made from the wrong timber or what? It's really p!ssing me off now. What sort of wood should they be made from??

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

mikefoxo wrote: »
    Broke the old handle a year ago. Fair enough it had been in it for a few years. Got a new one in the co-op I think it was, have broken it three times in the last 12 months:mad: All it's done is hammer a wedge through a (small!!) amount of knotty timber and put down less than 30 4 inch posts. Is it just a bad handle, made from the wrong timber or what? It's really p!ssing me off now. What sort of wood should they be made from??

Get a plastic one I have a dargan one I think, yellow and black handle give it dogs abuse never any problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I just drive a 2' length of heavy gal. inch pipe in to sledge and weld it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

cute geoge wrote: »

Jesus, would that kill you with the shock from it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Hickory is what's normally used.
    Some lads would break a crow bar in a bog, other lads are easy enough on handles.
    Nice steady clean strikes are often better that a frenzy of savagery :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Have 1 1/4 steel handle in my sledge no shock from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

Jimlh86 wrote: »
    Get a plastic one I have a dargan one I think, yellow and black handle give it dogs abuse never any problem

Where would you get a plastic handle? Seen hammers in DIY with plastic handles but never just the handle itself.

The first time it broke I will admit it had one or two chips out of it, but the last three times it just broke right at the base of the head, not a scratch on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

"There's nothing like a nice piece of Hickory"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyjrUAimzZg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,830 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

have one of them too, never gets lost as no one uses it:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Much obliged.......

• Advertisement

mikefoxo wrote: »
    Where would you get a plastic handle? Seen hammers in DIY with plastic handles but never just the handle itself.

The first time it broke I will admit it had one or two chips out of it, but the last three times it just broke right at the base of the head, not a scratch on it

Sorry apologies, I doubt you can get the plastic handle on it's own the bought the whole sledge.. It's a great job though I can't see how it would break with "normal" farm use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Sorry apologies, I doubt you can get the plastic handle on it's own the bought the whole sledge.. It's a great job though I can't see how it would break with "normal" farm use

Asked in local hardware and they only come complete thought I saw them separately somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I've 2 of them after getting fed up of buying timber handles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I saw them in the the local co-op - must get a splitting maul with plastic handle- because I 'be a major habit of taking the head off that -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Wrap silage tape around it if you have tender hands ;)

Sam Kade wrote: »

How did you know Sam :)

I dunno, if you wanted to break up stones around a post, or break a piece of concrete (as I have with the sledge in the past) or hit anything else heavy and metal, then I'd prefer a timber handle... But each to their own :)

How did you know Sam :)

I dunno, if you wanted to break up stones around a post, or break a piece of concrete (as I have with the sledge in the past) or hit anything else heavy and metal, then I'd prefer a timber handle... But each to their own :)
    Breaking stones jaysus :eek: Are you in the chain gang by any chance? I only use a sledge for breaking down tractor tyres or driving stakes :) If I want to break concrete it's down to the local plant hire for a kango hammer :)

Breaking stones jaysus :eek: Are you in the chain gang by any chance? I only use a sledge for breaking down tractor tyres or driving stakes :) If I want to break concrete it's down to the local plant hire for a kango hammer :)

Ah, the joys of farming Sam, maybe worse than a chain gang - I've no release date :)

Ah, if I was hanging a gate, I'd put in the post and break stones around it. I think the breaking concrete was just taking a corner off...

Sledge is a bollox for driving stakes - get a mallet (oh, just remembered I need to out a new handle in ours - and a steel handle would prob work well on that) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Neighbor has the old axle of a cart welded into a lump of a head :D no danger of breaking that! Lifting it is enough of a challenge. That said it was mainly made as a joke but it has seen action when lesser sledges and indeed lesser men have failed :P Also seen a small length of piping slotted down over a handle and welded to the head to act as a sort of collar seems a fairly decent job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Well said Clint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I wouldn't be the kindest to handles but the one that closest to coming apart is the pick and that doesn't get used too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Or the tape for the top of the hurley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

We broke one but it got driven over :)

Ah theirs always one 😩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That'll do it alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Reggie. wrote: »
    Or the tape for the top of the hurley

Yep, that's what I've done with the axe here. Savage altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

td5man wrote: »
    Asked in local hardware and they only come complete thought I saw them separately somewhere.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-New-Sledge-Hammer-Handle-Fiberglass-S-284-ATE-Tools-Replacement-Fiber-Glass-/331485354034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2e111832

The only problem is they are coming from the states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

Hickory is what's normally used.
    Some lads would break a crow bar in a bog, other lads are easy enough on handles.
    Nice steady clean strikes are often better that a frenzy of savagery :-)

Ive seen lads get a piece of tight fitting water pipe about 3 inches long and put this on the handle before the head of the sledge. When you miss whatever you are hitting the water pipe protects the handle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Hickory handle and learn to swing the sledge
    Should come from behind your leg over your head on to the object being hit, never broke a handle here.
    Used to sledge for a blacksmith you would learn quick enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement