Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭farm14

Conacre lads are definitely dipping into their sfp. It's just not possible to keep growing grain at a loss. Theirs going to be big changes in farming in the next few years. Dairying is going to take over big time in this country. When you compare it to tillage beef & sheep it just doesn't make sense to stay in those low profit making enterprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

micraX wrote: »
    What do you mean style? It's fairly obvious that with every one expanding there is going to be a flood of milk on the market, and supply and demand will come into play, over supple less demand, lads will end up selling milk cheaper. It's not about the primary product any more, the supermarkets control the prices there, in all reguards be it spuds, meat milk even the eggs for your omelette. Where money can be made these days requies further investment to process your produce, adding value. Like making yogurts or icecream or cheese, or with veg it's in the dicing and preping end of it. In other words judging from what iv seen And heard I think many people have invested heavily in the wrong thing, each to there own though, I could be wrong though. Anyways enjoy your omelette which I'm sure this post will make you want for your tea.

Flood what market. The reality is the big guns in the US and other confined systems will dictate the price. If every farm in Ireland became a dairy farm or indeed all dairy farms stopped tomorrow no one would notice. We are a tiny bit of dust from the world perspective.

Your tune seems to be changing from one of wishing dairy farmers to take a fall to being concerned for their livelihood.

BTW, my quota costs are equivalent to my fert costs on this business so I'll be glad to see the back of quotas. Tomorrow if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

farm14 wrote: »
    Is your friend thinking of starting up a dairy herd because I am too. Growing grain is a f*****g joke.

Seriously thinking about it,he has big advantage in that he has a substantial land base but he is a total machinery head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Seriously thinking about it,he has big advantage in that he has a substantial land base but he is a total machinery head.

Have a mate living up near me that sold land to a developer in the good times and bought a very big block of land down your way with the money from it. He has tillage on it but considering going dairy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Flood what market. The reality is the big guns in the US and other confined systems will dictate the price. If every farm in Ireland became a dairy farm or indeed all dairy farms stopped tomorrow no one would notice. We are a tiny bit of dust from the world perspective.

Your tune seems to be changing from one of wishing dairy farmers to take a fall to being concerned for their livelihood.

BTW, my quota costs are equivalent to my fert costs on this business so I'll be glad to see the back of quotas. Tomorrow if possible.

Flood the Irish market, I never wished them to take the fall, its inevitable the way things are going. Well you don't have to wait too long to say good bye to them.

• Advertisement

Flood the Irish market, I never wished them to take the fall, its inevitable the way things are going. Well you don't have to wait too long to say good bye to them.

"Can't wait for the dairy prices to flop, bring a few lads down a level. This forum is to weighed towards dairy, if sheep have their own forum, maybe dairy should too."

That's what you said.

"Can't wait for the dairy prices to flop, bring a few lads down a level. This forum is to weighed towards dairy, if sheep have their own forum, maybe dairy should too."

That's what you said.

And what's wrong with that? It will happen and it will bring a few pig headed lads down a level. And it's true this forum should just be called dairy farming at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ironically dairyfarmers are already turning their noses up at the domestic market, with lads getting out of liquid milk left right and centre! This is as a result of the supermarkets doing the same tactics with fresh milk as any other farm produce, pulling the rugs from under the farmers by things like selling milk as a loss leader, cheap milk from the north, questionable labeling etc etc etc. However, any new processing plants are going to be built with the international market only in mind, all of the milk will be dried and exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭farm14

And what's wrong with that? It will happen and it will bring a few pig headed lads down a level. And it's true this forum should just be called dairy farming at this rate.

What did dairy lads do to you that you'd like to see the price drop on them. What is wrong with expanding or starting up a dairy herd? Demand for dairy produce worldwide is growing at a rate 2% per annum. You are a great lad for coming on here having a go at lads for wanting to grow or start up a dairy business when it is clearly by far the most profitable farm enterprise in this country. Maybe we should all start doing another enterprise sure with the way your talking ,maybe that will be more profitable will it? :D

farm14 wrote: »
    What did dairy lads do to you that you'd like to see the price drop on them. What is wrong with expanding or starting up a dairy herd? Demand for dairy produce worldwide is growing at a rate 2% per annum. You are a great lad for coming on here having a go at lads for wanting to grow or start up a dairy business when it is clearly by far the most profitable farm enterprise in this country. Maybe we should all start doing another enterprise sure with the way your talking ,maybe that will be more profitable will it? :D
    Ok what ever you's say, I'll make sure to bump this trend in a few months or a year or 2, and see how all the boys are doing:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

Ok what ever you's say, I'll make sure to bump this trend in a few months or a year or 2, and see how all the boys are doing:)

Hopefully we will all still be here. Sure with the price of veg we wont starve anyway.

The creamerys will take the good out of it. Even if the world market is good as long as they can get enough milk they will pay as little as possible for it. And if lads have signed contracts they can do what they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

Patrickheg wrote: »

Nowt new of stores, silo bins don't really work for cereals as inclined to 'sweat' needing alot more care and blowing. Ok for corn maybe?

My boss bought an old factory and warehouse on a buisness park that backs on to the farm gutted them out, re-roofed them and laid new polished floor. then put in pre-stressed pannels around the side to give significant storage as well as built some more stores on the new site with our new drier/cleaner. Problem with huge piles of grain is it's impossible to seperate different quality grains eg high protein wheat vs low with out alot of panels. Rented out extra capacity as commercial store to a company that stores Osr and as a gathering point for exporting crops mainly wheat but they mainly just tip in shed. Farm is due to take more land back over 20yr so future proofed and renting out space will pay off entire build in 12 years.

80ton/hr svegma drier, 60th/ph rotary cleaner with 500ton wet bins, 120t/ph scandia conveyors into store with elevators rated to 200t/ph but never get close really as risk of blocking
    Pic 1

Examle of how we seperate grains
    Pic 2/3

The osr heap :eek:, when full heap reaches roof of shed so we have fun climbing heap and sliding down as osr flows very freely.
    pic 4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Nowt new of stores, silo bins don't really work for cereals as inclined to 'sweat' needing alot more care and blowing. Ok for corn maybe?

My boss bought an old factory and warehouse on a buisness park that backs on to the farm gutted them out, re-roofed them and laid new polished floor. then put in pre-stressed pannels around the side to give significant storage as well as built some more stores on the new site with our new drier/cleaner. Problem with huge piles of grain is it's impossible to seperate different quality grains eg high protein wheat vs low with out alot of panels. Rented out extra capacity as commercial store to a company that stores Osr and as a gathering point for exporting crops mainly wheat but they mainly just tip in shed. Farm is due to take more land back over 20yr so future proofed and renting out space will pay off entire build in 12 years.

80ton/hr svegma drier, 60th/ph rotary cleaner with 500ton wet bins, 120t/ph scandia conveyors into store with elevators rated to 200t/ph but never get close really as risk of blocking
    Pic 1

Pic 2/3

The osr heap :eek:, when full heap reaches roof of shed so we have fun climbing heap and sliding down as osr flows very freely.
    pic 4/5

That's some set up!

Pic 1

Pic 2/3

pic 4/5

Some set up there:0. Where is that?

That's some set up!

The previous management built the stores on waste ground in the yard, full of springs...... which soaked into grain and rusted out elevators, after heavy rain occasionally the elevator and reception pit filled with water. Wasn't maling same mistake twice

Some set up there:0. Where is that?

St Noets area, Cambridgeshire uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Tucked into proper barley today. Got a demo of this today.
    Moisture = 13.2%
    Bushel = 68.5 kg/hl
    Yield. = 7.6 t/ha.

sheebadog wrote: »
    Tucked into proper barley today. Got a demo of this today.
    Moisture = 13.2%
    Bushel = 68.5 kg/hl
    Yield. = 7.6 t/ha.

Woould ye say that's the minimum yeild ye need to make money from tillage - sfp?
    What ye make if the new Holland. Lad next door here buys new one every 3 seasons. 34ft header on one he has now.

Woould ye say that's the minimum yeild ye need to make money from tillage - sfp?
    What ye make if the new Holland. Lad next door here buys new one every 3 seasons. 34ft header on one he has now.

I work on cost per ton into store.

Wouldn't like the New Holland. It's a CX and a dirty sample.

• Advertisement

I work on cost per ton into store.

Wouldn't like the New Holland. It's a CX and a dirty sample.

Would it still be a viable enterprise for you if Sfp was gone in morn?
    Grain would prob become very dear to compensate?

Would it still be a viable enterprise for you if Sfp was gone in morn?
    Grain would prob become very dear to compensate?

Problem in Ireland is the SFP goes to landlords and machinery dealers.

Have any of ye seen hailstones like these?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Much damage done?

Don't get me started on landlords and sfp

Lambofdave wrote: »
    Much damage done?

Don't get me started on landlords and sfp

Plenty. Roof tiles on houses, cars bodywork and windscreens, shed roofs etc.
    Serious crop damage. :(

Will you tell the driver to keep a little more to his right or he'll be all day

Will you tell the driver to keep a little more to his right or he'll be all day

Playing with auto steer.

Hail damage to fibrocement sheeting in machinery shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Hail damage to fibrocement sheeting in machinery shed.

Jesus thats something else :eek: . Is that a complete freak of nature of has anything else happened like it in the last few years ? Did I hear ye got over 2" of rain in an hour aswell ?

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    Jesus thats something else :eek: . Is that a complete freak of nature of has anything else happened like it in the last few years ? Did I hear ye got over 2" of rain in an hour aswell ?

Happens every 5 to10 years. No such look with the rain here though. We only got 15mm. Better than a kick from a donkey I suppose.

Advertisement