Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killing incalf cows

• 30-07-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Have bunch of cull cows with calls still running with that I planned introducing to meal soon wean calf kill at Xmas on a out farm

I don't herd that often and Neighbours bull has come in for visit at least twice

So basically question is how far gone in calf is it ok to kill cows

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

epfff wrote: »
    Have bunch of cull cows with calls still running with that I planned introducing to meal soon wean calf kill at Xmas on a out farm

I don't herd that often and Neighbours bull has come in for visit at least twice

So basically question is how far gone in calf is it ok to kill cows

If u estrumate the cows they wont hold in calf .
    That said a pregnant cow is more inclined to dry up quicker imo so u could time the shot post weaning/ drying up to get that benefit.
    Next job is to keep that bull out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

If u estrumate the cows they wont hold in calf .
    That said a pregnant cow is more inclined to dry up quicker imo so u could time the shot post weaning/ drying up to get that benefit.
    Next job is to keep that bull out :)

Tnx
    I would prefer not to estrumate as it's costly and I find it knocks stock for a bit
    I do know cows will thrive better for while with no bulling etc but how long

As for keeping the bull out very hard when it's away from home you can't shout too loud
    I do know if it was the other way it would be end of world stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Calf makes very little differ to how cow kills up to 6 weeks or a month of calving.

Advertisement