Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could go back and change the degree you studied at college, what would it be?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

General theme I am getting on boards.ie on other threads is that if you do a postgrad/undergrad in computer science/software engineering/data science you are basically guaranteed a job at the end , is that true? Same with accountancy/finance but you'll start at the bottom and do all your exams...

I could say the same with Quantity Surveying in my field that any grad will get a job.

With the some of the world's largest pharma companies here, it seems that you've to start as a shift worker at the bottom there unless you're coming in at a corporate level?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SteadyNed

Almost certainly accounting or finance. Handy degree, tough initial few years in industry getting your exams, but then you're on the pigs back.

After a top 5% leaving cert, I chose Civil Engineering in Uni. Complete disaster of a career pay-wise, stress-wise, everything.

SteadyNed wrote: »
    Almost certainly accounting or finance. Handy degree, tough initial few years in industry getting your exams, but then you're on the pigs back.

After a top 5% leaving cert, I chose Civil Engineering in Uni. Complete disaster of a career pay-wise, stress-wise, everything.

Ah don't talk, I feel your pain. Young lad came out of college and onto the €8m project I was on last year. You could tell he had brains to burn and was very enthusiastic, knew all the modern techniques of a civil engineer with CAD/BIM etc, slowly dwindled away over the year.

He was there every morning at 6:30 and some nights he wasn't away to after 8. I told him to wise up, he was getting no thanks for it, in fact he was getting bollocking from the dinosaur managers we have for mistakes on the job.

Very thankless job a CivEng, it's a tough course too. You'd be wiser to go to a consultancy or public/semi state firm than anywhere near a contractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭antimatterx

CBear1993 wrote: »
    General theme I am getting on boards.ie on other threads is that if you do a postgrad/undergrad in computer science/software engineering/data science you are basically guaranteed a job at the end , is that true? Same with accountancy/finance but you'll start at the bottom and do all your exams...

I could say the same with Quantity Surveying in my field that any grad will get a job.

With the some of the world's largest pharma companies here, it seems that you've to start as a shift worker at the bottom there unless you're coming in at a corporate level?

In tech, only if you're somewhat competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

screamer wrote: »
    Congrats to you. I’ve a degree in computer science but always wanted to be a doctor, wish I’d have had the means to make that happen but wasn’t to be.
    You can always move out of something, but do that before you have mortgages and other serious debts.

Brain swap or ID swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Go back and do 1 year part time in September - May? Itll be worth it!

The trouble is unfortunately, a huge amount of the part time degrees within DIT for example, seem to have been axed from their list. While I could bite the bullet and take on a fulltime degree, it'd be extremely risky, would completely set me back to square one in terms of finances for 3/4 years, and I can't afford to sacrifice my working hours for all that time.

I'll just have to keep shopping around for something part time that won't cut into my working hours, and what would offer the most return. I'm finding LinkedIn is a great way to get such advice from recruiters and professionals on the kind of job prospects that certain courses can offer after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wish I did speech therapy. In fact it’s something I’m looking into studying but having spent the guts of ten years wafting in and out of college I don’t think I can hack it again. It’s a major regret of mine though I’d actually love it.

I wish I did speech therapy. In fact it’s something I’m looking into studying but having spent the guts of ten years wafting in and out of college I don’t think I can hack it again. It’s a major regret of mine though I’d actually love it.

I wish I was a wishing well. Stop procrastinating and just do it, all night long like the parody of the Nike ad or Lionel Richie's pension spinner. I wish I was seventy two years old and had limited options as opposed to being a thirty two year old with broad potential. Woe is me, but don't I look fabulous wallowing in my trivial miseries.

I wish I was a wishing well. Stop procrastinating and just do it, all night long like the parody of the Nike ad or Lionel Richie's pension spinner. I wish I was seventy two years old and had limited options as opposed to being a thirty two year old with broad potential. Woe is me, but don't I look fabulous wallowing in my trivial miseries.

"I think and think and think, I‘ve thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it." Jonathan Safran Foer.

Those words used to really resonate with me but lately I'm learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I studied Business and German in Trinity. I loved it, but I felt it was very much lacking in intermediate and advanced financial mathematics. It was almost an afterthought. There was too much emphasis on you being a loveable Irish rogue sort who would plámás his way into the upper echelons of the German banking and finance industry through personality alone.

I did rectify that by undertaking a course of study in financial mathematics and modelling, alongside my MBA.

I have being considering going back to University on a part-time basis to study for a degree in Philosophy and Literature. Aliquando.

I did Physics and Maths at college. I did ok-ish with the maths component, though I probably could have applied myself a bit better if it weren't for a lot of personal difficulties (mental health issues) I experienced at the time. Aside from the subject being difficult, lack of motivation was a factor in preventing me achieving my best. Physics was another matter - I don't think even the most fortuitous set of personal circumstances would have helped me excel there. I loved the idea of being a physicist but the reality of it was not for me at all. I really sucked at experimental physics in particular and knew that being in a lab would not be for me - I still enjoy reading about physics on a 'popular science' level but that's about it.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have moved away from Pure Maths and instead gone down the Financial Maths/Actuarial Science route. Alternatively, I reckon I might have enjoyed Economics; sadly my school didn't offer it as a Leaving Cert subject so it would have been a big step into the unknown if I had elected to try it in college.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I was starting again, I would do a trade, possibly plumbing.

I quite like the idea of work being a series of simple enough problems, you go in and fix. No taking work home with you, no having to deal with the public, other than grateful clients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A lot of people are mentioning business and Accounting. I did Accounting and managed to muster up 2 interviews over 2 years after graduating with a 2:1. I gave up a couple of years ago but was asked to interview again last year for one of the 2 companies, of which I turned down.

I spent over 10k on going to college. I could have gone and done my Professional Exams independently but there wasn't a hope in hell I was wasting anymore money on it.

I was made unemployed recently and I'm strongly considering taking the degree off my CV as it seems to turn off employers for non skilled jobs :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The same. I wouldn't change it for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Studied IT but if I could back in time i would redo the course again and do a better job of it. Had to repeat two separate years of the course and in the end got a Higher Certificate. I was stupid back then, should have focused more and by now I might have had a degree.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    If I was starting again, I would do a trade, possibly plumbing.

I quite like the idea of work being a series of simple enough problems, you go in and fix. No taking work home with you, no having to deal with the public, other than grateful clients.

Lol, have you talked to a plumber recently? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Would you day you need a high level of maths for computer science ? Is it very algebra / formula based etc?

I'm terrible at maths and I got a 1.1 in a software dev hdip so don't let that put you off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Work in IT, has been good to me and it’s grand. If I was starting over I’d love to study midwifery. Pretty different ends of the scale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Am Deaf and an Irish Sign Language user .Access to education is problematic as we previously were educated in a language we cannot hear (Genius really). Research shows Deaf people who use a signed language as their first language are the lowest represented in third level of any minority group. Isolation is a huge issue too for Deaf when they do attend third level. I attended two different third level campuses and there were tens of thousands of students in both, yet I was the only registered Deaf ISL user in both in over 6 years of study.

As there was no access when I was younger i did my undergrad at 30. I knew it was gonna be a struggle but I finally bit the bullet and did it with no interpreters and then a postgrad with interpreters as our language was recognised in legislation as a native language of Ireland just like as Gaeilge, in 2017.

After all that then the problem is trying to find employment. It's tough even when you have qualifications. Theres no access to work schemes here like in the UK. Poverty and unemployment is rife throughout the Deaf community here. But we persevere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Am Deaf and an Irish Sign Language user .Access to education is problematic as we previously were educated in a language we cannot hear (Genius really). Research shows Deaf people who use a signed language as their first language are the lowest represented in third level of any minority group. Isolation is a huge issue too for Deaf when they do attend third level. I attended two different third level campuses and there were tens of thousands of students in both, yet I was the only registered Deaf ISL user in both in over 6 years of study.

As there was no access when I was younger i did my undergrad at 30. I knew it was gonna be a struggle but I finally bit the bullet and did it with no interpreters and then a postgrad with interpreters as our language was recognised in legislation as a native language of Ireland just like as Gaeilge, in 2017.

After all that then the problem is trying to find employment. It's tough even when you have qualifications. Theres no access to work schemes here like in the UK. Poverty and unemployment is rife throughout the Deaf community here. But we persevere.
    I wish i could help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

I wish i could help.

Studied geography BA in college, worked for 4 years as a teacher but it wasn’t for me and went back to study Masters in Planning.
    I am now a Chartered Town Planner in a local authority and absolutely love the job.

Now looking to do a PHD in Urban Regeneration.

It takes a few years working in a job to sometimes realise you can’t see yourself doing this for 40 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

I studied literature and loved every minute of it. I still love to read and I don’t regret doing the degree because it’s a huge part of who I am and a very big hobby of mine but it’s no help with getting a decent job. I’m hoping I’ll be able to go to nursing school because I want to make a difference. I want to have a meaningful job and I want to help people. I’d love to be a doctor but it’s just not realistic anymore :(

conor05 wrote: »
    Studied geography BA in college, worked for 4 years as a teacher but it wasn’t for me and went back to study Masters in Planning.
    I am now a Chartered Town Planner in a local authority and absolutely love the job.

Now looking to do a PHD in Urban Regeneration.

It takes a few years working in a job to sometimes realise you can’t see yourself doing this for 40 years!!

The planning office? :eek: fair play to ye if you love that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I started an IT degree, dropped out, started a psychology degree, dropped out, then spent 18 years in IT before realising that I hated it. Moved to furniture restoration a few years ago and love it.

Now getting requests from builders to do work on things that tradesmen don't like doing (stairs, fireplaces, fiddly stuff that takes time).

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

I started an IT degree, dropped out, started a psychology degree, dropped out, then spent 18 years in IT before realising that I hated it. Moved to furniture restoration a few years ago and love it.

Now getting requests from builders to do work on things that tradesmen don't like doing (stairs, fireplaces, fiddly stuff that takes time).

LOL! how do you spend 18 years in an Industry before realising you hate it, what was your epiphany moment!?

Easily done, you can keep going on and on and hoping some day you’ll get out. Some people and a lot of media make it sound like changing careers nowadays is very handy with all the resources available to us. I would argue the fact that it’s the opposite. The cost of living in Ireland is extortionate unless you’re living at home with your parents and not contributing.

For someone who is in a full time job, no matter how much they hate it, and how **** the pay is- to just up sticks and go back and study full time for 1 year is a huge gamble. People will say “oh well that’s the risk, you’ll never know if you don’t try” etc but it goes against human nature.

And you can forget about trying to get a loan or grants or some sort of financial help to get you through that year of higher study. The only thing is savings and sure you’d want to save for some length here - by the time you’d go to actually do the course you’d be dead :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

My degree was in Nursing, it's not for everyone but I've never regretted it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Did a biology discipline, would have studied engineering or something statistics-based if I had my time over.

I did Maths and Economics for my degree, even though I would have preferred English or History. My Career Guidance teacher told me "sure you can read books in your spare time" which at that time, sounded like solid advice. I now work alongside someone who has an English degree, and I really wish I'd have taken that course, but here we are.

I hope career-guidance teachers are offering better advice now than they were in my day. Your undergrad should be a way of exploring what you're interested in, it is almost never a determinant of a vocation, unless you study medicine or dentistry and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I spent most of my twenties working in bars and restaurants. Heady Celtic tiger days so tips were aplenty. During that time, I did a diploma in media production (hated it), followed by a degree in journalism and eventually a masters in international relations. I'm now a project manager in IT. :D

Practically-speaking, a computer-related degree would have been really beneficial to my job. You feel like a bit of an idiot sponge constantly asking colleagues for help with scripts or relying on others for technical solutions to progress business projects further.

I sometimes think I'd have enjoyed marine biology. I love learning about the oceans and marine life. Unfortunately, maths and science were never my strong subjects in school so I steered away from anything related to either (hence why I didn't study computer science or similar in the first place).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I studied film (a lot of theory). I’d go back to do a PLC specifically in animation. Always loved math and did great at it in school so I’d study that in college either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I probably would have done pharmacy or did a straight chemistry degree and went into industry.
    I'm a teacher which I do really enjoy but the money isn't great.

mojesius wrote: »
    I spent most of my twenties working in bars and restaurants. Heady Celtic tiger days so tips were aplenty. During that time, I did a diploma in media production (hated it), followed by a degree in journalism and eventually a masters in international relations. I'm now a project manager in IT. :D

Practically-speaking, a computer-related degree would have been really beneficial to my job. You feel like a bit of an idiot sponge constantly asking colleagues for help with scripts or relying on others for technical solutions to progress business projects further.

I sometimes think I'd have enjoyed marine biology. I love learning about the oceans and marine life. Unfortunately, maths and science were never my strong subjects in school so I steered away from anything related to either (hence why I didn't study computer science or similar in the first place).

How did you end up in IT project management from all that? Are you with a big firm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Carl D

I'm thinking of going back to college to be physiotherapist or chiropractor how long would it take part time?

Seems like IT is the place to be , maths wouldn't be my strong subject, what would be a good course to do other then computer science as I have heard it's very hard .

Carl D wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going back to college to be physiotherapist or chiropractor how long would it take part time?

Seems like IT is the place to be , maths wouldn't be my strong subject, what would be a good course to do other then computer science as I have heard it's very hard .

You can't study physio part-time I'm afraid, but you can study physical therapy part-time, if that interests you. A former colleague of mine left to do that, and she loves it, she has a thriving business.

Forget about what's trending (within reason, obviously you'll need a job at the end), these things are fickle. Pursue something that really motivates you. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    LOL! how do you spend 18 years in an Industry before realising you hate it, what was your epiphany moment!?

Fell into doing restoration work, turned out to be good at it.

Plus French polishing is a much rarer skill these days and pays well. Tables, chairs, fireplaces, bannisters and the like, people love the idea of having a traditional and unique finish.

Advertisement