Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been on a tacky holiday

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,535 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I withdraw my remark, and apologise.

I can't say I'm very impressed with how you talk about your ex-wife, though. As a man who respects women, it makes me wonder: how would your children feel about this?

Really? The man who posts about his obese daughter that he nicknamed Tubbs?

Is she exempt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Really? The man who posts about his obese daughter that he nicknamed Tubbs?

Is she exempt?

As in Tubbs and and Crockett?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,535 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

As in Tubbs and and Crockett?

Well that's what he tells her, but it's because she's fat. He posted about her a lot at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Well that's what he tells her, but it's because she's fat. He posted about her a lot at one stage.

Chubbs and Crockett more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Tenerife 1994

Falaraki 1995

Alcudia 1996

Magaluf 1998

All lads holidays where you drank all day and tried to cop off with young ones half the night. How we didn't get alcohol poisoning is beyond me.

Now...give me a week or 2 in the Italian countryside with my own house and pool and dinner each night in a quiet little restaurant and I couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Never went on one, went to a lot of music festivals though when I was younger. Apparently at download festival I was walking around with a fake Jesus beard saying to women that you need to have sex with your saviour. I don't remember any of it though. Nowadays, I prefer to go visit a place with a lot history and see the monuments.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

mfceiling wrote: »
    Tenerife 1994

Falaraki 1995

Alcudia 1996

Magaluf 1998

All lads holidays where you drank all day and tried to cop off with young ones half the night. How we didn't get alcohol poisoning is beyond me.

Now...give me a week or 2 in the Italian countryside with my own house and pool and dinner each night in a quiet little restaurant and I couldn't be happier.

Where did you stay in Magaluf in 1998, was it the Don Paco? That's where we were based - an absolute asylum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

Bodrum in Turkey for my 18th. Loads of ****ty nightclubs including a boat trip to one. So much drinking and pulled a few times which was pretty great at that age.

One of the mornings I woke up in bed with two attractive French women. I have no recollection of the night before, nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Santa Ponsa 1995. The Verdemar Hotel. Lads holiday. Picked up a slab of bulmers and a litre of Jameson in duty free on the way out and that disappeared on the balcony before we headed out on our first night. Drank solid for 14 days - days consisted of getting up around lunch time,. heading for a 'gut buster' then hit the main drag - packed with pasty paddies in GAA shirts. Hit the local night club (Foam) them said hello to the bin ment has we're heading home at 5am. Great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Where did you stay in Magaluf in 1998, was it the Don Paco? That's where we were based - an absolute asylum :D

Ah I've no idea now!! It was 2 solid weeks of drinking and shifting young ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Went to Ayia Naps in the off season (october) and it was fantastic, still hot but crowds gone. Went to Zakinthos another Summer and whilst we had picked a quieter resort (tsilivi) , we went to Zakinthos town for a day trip. Could hear the British accent , the loud drunken yob type, everywhere. Couldn’t wait to get out of there. It’s the accent that ruins it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Went to Ayia Naps in the off season (october) and it was fantastic, still hot but crowds gone. Went to Zakinthos another Summer and whilst we had picked a quieter resort (tsilivi) , we went to Zakinthos town for a day trip. Could hear the British accent , the loud drunken yob type, everywhere. Couldn’t wait to get out of there. It’s the accent that ruins it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

topper75 wrote: »
    So now I'm obliged to ask the natural follow-up question: What is interesting? :D

The audience participation is quite interesting.

I was a teenage father so I kinda got left behind with this stuff Audrey from two long weekends. One in Glasgow and one in Latvia. Best part was watching a matte beg a hooker for 15 minutes cause that's all he could afford.

Both were fantastic but I generally don't handle booze very well so I have to keep an eye on myself in those situations lest I become part of the problem

Watching your mate beg a prostitute for 15 minutes was the best part of your holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I've done packages holidays, but they weren't the nightmares that people here have described. I've gone twice to the canaries with my wife for a week. Both times we hired a car and went to a few of the villages on the islands, did some scuba diving, went cycling for a day, went to a waterpark one day. We ate extremely well, did things at a relaxed pace which we needed both times. We went swimming pretty much every day, but probably only sat out on the local beach for a few hours each week. We did go to two other beaches in Lanzorotte which were absolutely beautiful - Papagayo and Famiga (spellings could be off). Both were package holidays that people would turn their noses up at, but this business of sitting around all day doing nothing and then going to the Irish Bar to get drunk is entirely optional. We went out in the evenings, but probably had one night in each week where we stayed out late and drank a bit too much.

In the past I've been to Turkey and loved it. I did two day trips from Kusadasi and Ephesus is one of the most incredible places I've ever seen. I'd go back just to go there again. Food was great too and I do love swimming in warm water.

To be honest when I read people dismissing package holidays I just think it's a very close minded attitude. And one which I would have had when I was younger, but as I've aged I realise that cramming 10 holidays into one like I would have done at 18 is not enjoyable at 34. Even aside from the fact that whether it's a package holiday or not, the holiday will be what you make of it. So what if some people just want to go away for a week and sit by a pool and read a book? Even if someone wants to go away for a week and hit the bar every night, it might be just what they need to recharge the batteries. They might need that release once a year.

The best holiday though is a skiing one hands down for me. And it's the least cultural holiday you can have, literally all you'll do is ski, eat, drink, sleep. There are other things to see and do, but I can't think of any I'd sacrifice a day's skiing for.

Feisar wrote: »
    I never understood the whole flags on the balcony thing.

It's a sort of primitive territory marking thing. Like dogs pissing on trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Tmh you surprise me! I thought you would be roaming around rarely walked paths of European cities and maybe an adventure or two on an undiscovered island.
    Surprise me in a good way though :)

Variety is the spice of life. Loved the dance music scene from the 90's but also partial to periods of exploration and discovery.
    I've been to Lanzarote but I don't think the trip was tacky. It was a package holiday with two friends. We stayed in a fairly basic apartment complex. Those two were so damn cheap that anything high end was a no go. Our entertainment was more cheesy than tacky. We ended up going to a drag queen miming show. Or something. Basically it was a few men dressed as women standing on a stage "performing" to a mostly crowd of British people. Food came in baskets.

I like Lanzarote. I definitely wouldn't describe it as a tacky destination, in fact, if you went there for that type of experience, you'd come home disappointed.

A lot of locations can do both. The club scene in Ibiza was centred around a couple of key areas but much of the rest of the island is very sedate and lots of people go there without ever seeing a glowstick or getting a free drink to go in to a bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Not myself personally, but one of the lad's brother.

Every year him and his mates, from 18-25 (way too old to be going on holidays like that) would go to all the hot spots: Ibiza, Maguluf, Benidorm, Canaries etc.

A 10 day trip would cost them €2000 easily. Mad money considering all you can really do over there is drink/drugs, try get with someone, and get sunburned to feck.

The worst experience (and last time they went) is when the lads and the GF's went over together.

I guess one of the lads forgot, because he was caught getting a BJ behind the club from some hunzo by his misses.

His excuse... "I thought it was you baby"

Cue scraps and the last three days of the holiday ruined.

Funny thing is that couple are married with a child now.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    Tenerife 1994

Falaraki 1995

Alcudia 1996

Magaluf 1998

Only for the first 2 or 3 days! Then you slept all day and drank all night, or at least I did!

Last trip to Magaluf was about 8 years ago, haven't been able to drink vodka since. That awful cheap stuff they give you over there ruined me.

• Advertisement

I don't understand people who say they wouldn't be caught dead on a package holiday to one of these crazy places. Why not?

I don't particularly like nightclubs. I like dancing but to music that's generated by a band rather than a computer. I'm sure there are plenty of regular bars in places like Magaluf that are hopping but aren't blaring out brain-numbing techno.

I consider myself a man with good taste. I've visited great cities like Prague, Cologne, Berlin, Vienna, Florence, Copenhagen, Tangiers, New Orleans and sampled the sites and delights they have to offer. I've enjoyed mussels in Antwerp and the incredible oysters of Arcachon on the Bay of Biscay.

But I also love guzzling beer and snogging women and cheap pizza or burger and chips as a greasy hangover helper. And these package holidays have all that in spades for a song. I wouldn't be a huge sun person. I burn and then tan but it takes a while so I don't want to spend half my holiday all miserable and stinging. So I'll get an hour sun on the face, arms and legs and then get back under the parasol. But get me in the sea and I'll stay there until I'm pruned. That's where you can get burnt if you're not careful.

Like I said I'm not into the club music scene or drugs. Beer and women would be my thing. So head to the bars and have a bit of a bop to 80's cheese like Rick Astley, play some pool, chat up and hopefully score with some frisky scouse girls or sassy London geezer-birds. That's why Oktoberfest is so much fun.

Unless you're a total introvert who has serious difficulty in interacting with people then who wouldn't like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

We drove through Lloret de Mar once, it was late in the evening and we needed to eat but one look at the main drag was enough and we kept on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Kamu wrote: »

Every year him and his mates, from 18-25 (way too old to be going on holidays like that) would go to all the hot spots: Ibiza, Maguluf, Benidorm, Canaries etc.

In my opinion, these are the perfect age for this type of holiday.

I've been to a few of the places mentioned and while not a sun lover at all (pasty Irish skin), the fun at night time into the very early hours was unbeatable.

Worst place I've been to was a British resort in Turkey called Marmaris. Lucky enough we only spent one night there as we were staying in Rhodes, Greece and got a hovercraft over to Turkey for the night. Theme bars of every description, Brits getting to know each other by boxing the heads of one another and local slease bags hitting on young ones. Worst I saw was one Turkish guy trying it on with a 14-15 year old girl who was sitting with her parents. He wasn't getting the message from them either.

Since my early 20's I've graduated to mainly city breaks, staycations and cultural holidays but don't regret the tack one bit. Even make a point of going to Vegas every few years still to as never to old to enjoy yourself there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the best time to go on a package holiday is late in the season (october) that way you avoid all the riff raff low life scummers (british & irish) who usually go on holiday peak season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I met my wife on a " tacky " holiday.

She was just as surprised to see me as I was to see her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Went to playa del ingles and it was every bit as **** as it sounds. An absolute ****hole and the gaff we stayed in, an Irish chap staying there died the month before we went.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/we-are-not-giving-up-we-will-continue-our-fight-for-justice-1.434763%3fmode=amp

It wasn’t a holiday it was grim. The town was ****, the food was ****, the accommodation was **** and it was dangerous as hell. One of the lads with us got badly assaulted by a group of fellas from the North. Nothing but soccer jerseys out and lads were actually going out at night to pubs and clubs with Irish, English, Walsh and Scottish flags wrapped around them like they were going to a match. We couldn’t enjoy one night over there as we were constantly looking over our shoulders waiting for aggro from someone.

I came back and didn’t speak about the holiday. It was an experience I had more or less deleted from my memory until I saw this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭pgj2015

chosen1 wrote: »
    In my opinion, these are the perfect age for this type of holiday.

I've been to a few of the places mentioned and while not a sun lover at all (pasty Irish skin), the fun at night time into the very early hours was unbeatable.

Worst place I've been to was a British resort in Turkey called Marmaris. Lucky enough we only spent one night there as we were staying in Rhodes, Greece and got a hovercraft over to Turkey for the night. Theme bars of every description, Brits getting to know each other by boxing the heads of one another and local slease bags hitting on young ones. Worst I saw was one Turkish guy trying it on with a 14-15 year old girl who was sitting with her parents. He wasn't getting the message from them either.

Since my early 20's I've graduated to mainly city breaks, staycations and cultural holidays but don't regret the tack one bit. Even make a point of going to Vegas every few years still to as never to old to enjoy yourself there.

I agree with you,

what age should you go to Ibiza 10-17? :confused:

im mid thirties and I would go to Ibiza if it was open this year. Will definitely be going next year if things are back to normal.

I would hate to be so closed minded about lads going on such holidays. I can still pull women in their 20's and am into clubs and a bit of sun and relaxation,so what else would I be at?may as well enjoy yourself when you can. I was at a techno gig last year with a mate hes about 32, I said I hope we are still going to these in 10 years, he said yeah sure why not go at any age if you enjoy it, hes dead right, some people just stop doing things they enjoyed because of what other dry arses might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Tommybojangles

awec wrote: »
    Only for the first 2 or 3 days! Then you slept all day and drank all night, or at least I did!

Last trip to Magaluf was about 8 years ago, haven't been able to drink vodka since. That awful cheap stuff they give you over there ruined me.

That Magaluf vodka has to be the worst stuff on earth.

Would love to have a holiday like that now if all 30 year old responsibilities could be paused for a week

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I agree with you,

what age should you go to Ibiza 10-17?

Apologies, I meant 25 upwards, I consider too old to be going to those sort of resorts.

You're surrounded by obliterated late teens/early 20s people. Can't see how that could be fun.

But I would never go in those holidays to begin with, so what do I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Kamu wrote: »
    Apologies, I meant 25 upwards, I consider too old to be going to those sort of resorts.

You're surrounded by obliterated late teens/early 20s people. Can't see how that could be fun.

But I would never go in those holidays to begin with, so what do I know!

Exactly, you need to live a little.

Ibiza caters for all ages, its not just full of early 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

No, I would've absolutely hated it. Even when I was in my late teens, a book and a cup of tea was more my... cup of tea. I can't explain it, but I become extremely depressed in situations like that. I avoid noisy pubs for similar reasons. It's a very alienating experience, being surrounded by people having fun and not being able to 'get it'.

Having fun...

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/secretly-hate-bars.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Exactly, you need to live a little.

Ibiza caters for all ages, its not just full of early 20's.

Exactly, Ibiza has San Antonio for the young clubbers, the rest of the island is gorgeous. Ibiza town is lovely, a real treat.
    Same with Benalmadena,I’d go back there tomorrow. Avoid 24 hour square and you will have the most relaxing holiday you could ask for.
    Portugal is lovely too, sure there are places that cater for the “young and lively “ but check out the likes of Tavira and Olhas de Agua

Exactly, Ibiza has San Antonio for the young clubbers, the rest of the island is gorgeous. Ibiza town is lovely, a real treat.
    Same with Benalmadena,I’d go back there tomorrow. Avoid 24 hour square and you will have the most relaxing holiday you could ask for.
    Portugal is lovely too, sure there are places that cater for the “young and lively “ but check out the likes of Tavira and Olhas de Agua

Looks like I need to look beyond the headlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

fryup wrote: »
    the best time to go on a package holiday is late in the season (october) that way you avoid all the riff raff low life scummers (british & irish) who usually go on holiday peak season

Agree with that. The first three weeks as well of October, as the last is mid term break where you do tend to get some of the lower ranks turning up with their equally obnoxious offspring.

Avoid any period outside of the English football season as well, so that normally marks June out for me as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That Magaluf vodka has to be the worst stuff on earth.
    It was awful stuff alright. I remember we went to a foam party one night when we were in Tenerife. Of course the reps on the street who sell you the tickets for these things promise it's a great night and all you can drink - what they don't tell you is the drinks are basically the local Spanish p!sswater that passes as beer or this cheap vodka. Being a cider drinker at the time and hating beer I was left with having to go the night on that dirt vodka. Got horribly plastered, most probably the worst state I ever got into. Can't even drink vodka of any kind now without getting reminded of that night!
    Motivator wrote: »
    Went to playa del ingles and it was every bit as **** as it sounds. An absolute ****hole and the gaff we stayed in, an Irish chap staying there died the month before we went.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/we-are-not-giving-up-we-will-continue-our-fight-for-justice-1.434763%3fmode=amp

It wasn’t a holiday it was grim. The town was ****, the food was ****, the accommodation was **** and it was dangerous as hell. One of the lads with us got badly assaulted by a group of fellas from the North. Nothing but soccer jerseys out and lads were actually going out at night to pubs and clubs with Irish, English, Walsh and Scottish flags wrapped around them like they were going to a match. We couldn’t enjoy one night over there as we were constantly looking over our shoulders waiting for aggro from someone.

I came back and didn’t speak about the holiday. It was an experience I had more or less deleted from my memory until I saw this thread.
    I remember the year myself and a few friends went to Tenerife after the leaving cert, our first night was when England were knocked out by Portugal on penalties (2006 world cup). If anyone remembers, it was infamous for Rooney being sent off after Ronaldo was playacting (and then seeing winking to the sideline). Here we were in a bar and they were showing highlights of the game, the English around us were all tanked up and foaming at the mouth with the result. We started laughing, cheering and shouting "easy, easy" (remember that chant from the time?). The whole place stared at us and I was convinced we were going to get our heads kicked in. A few lads with scouse accents started on us but we thankfully managed to quickly diffuse the situation. Not long after hugging and best friends with the same lads!
    As others have said, a week straight of solid drinking, rinse and repeat each day. Being late teens/early 20's you could get away with hangovers, a few hours at the pool during the day and you're ready for another night of it. I'd be lying if I said we didn't leave the place in sh!t but looking back they were great memories. But would I do it again nowadays, not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Really nice,small fishing village. Stayed in Club Humbria an all inclusive hotel, nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Santa Ponsa 1995. The Verdemar Hotel. Lads holiday. Picked up a slab of bulmers and a litre of Jameson in duty free on the way out and that disappeared on the balcony before we headed out on our first night. Drank solid for 14 days - days consisted of getting up around lunch time,. heading for a 'gut buster' then hit the main drag - packed with pasty paddies in GAA shirts. Hit the local night club (Foam) them said hello to the bin ment has we're heading home at 5am. Great craic.

Stayed there in 1993. Sounds very similar to your own experience. Not a chance would I be able to or want to do it again.

Went on a stag to Benidorm last year. An absolute kip. Would never go back. Scummy as ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Ibiza 1990 just outside the town. family resort with entertainment at 7pm each day in the bar, we would turn up and drink the free shots the barman would give us while the families played the kid friendly games. By 10pm we were doing The Dentist Chair and then on to the all night clubs - had to get money wired to us for the second week. I rang my parents after 4 days and said if we keep spending money at the current rate we won’t have any money to buy food for week 2. I still owe my old man £200 !! Rented mopeds and crashed one but they didn’t charge us as we told them someone stole it and wrote it off. They just gave us another one for the rest of the week.
    Santa Ponsa 1991. Don’t remember much except we did a bit more sightseeing and a lot more drinking. Ate ham omelettes for 2 weeks solid. Never out of bed before 2pm
    Palma Nova 1993 (down the beach from Magaluf) got a tattoo, took The Mick out of the British lager louts, hopped from bar to bar to get the free shots. Oh feck I remember the hangovers but it was mental

Went back to Palma Nova with my wife and kids in 2015 (to a proper resort!) oh it brought back savage memories when I walked about but Magaluf was scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Started in the late 90's with Ibiza,Playa del ingles, Benidorm, Magaluf, Zakynthos, Thailand,Vegas ,

We literally done ever ****e hole you could think off in our late teens and early 20's some absolute belter of stories , 3 of the lads used to get free flights and stand by for us so it was 2 or 3 times a year we'd head off,

I wouldn't change it for the world but i also would never set foot in them places again

Now i'm a little more cultured or at least think I am, it's Croatia, Italy, Switzerland ,Austria and middle America for Holidays

I'll need counselling when my kids start heading off soon knowing the absolute carnage they could get up to ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A guy I used to work with went on a package holiday to Ibiza.

We all went out the night before his flight and he got absolutely plastered, ended up staying in my place. I could barely wake him up the next morning and I'm still not sure how he was able to get home, pack and make it to the airport before his flight closed.

He arrived, checked into his hotel and headed to the beach with the other lads and a rake of cans.

He ended up passing out on the beach. I should mention at this point that he had red hair and was as white as a ghost.

He woke up a couple of days later in the local hospital with extremely severe 3rd degree sunburn all over his front and dehydration. Spent the next week and a half recovering. Got out just in time to get his flight back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Palma Nova 1993 (down the beach from Magaluf) got a tattoo,

Why do the words Magaluf and tattoo always seem to go together :) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Why do the words Magaluf and tattoo always seem to go together :) :rolleyes:

Otherwise known as magaloof nobody has handy standards down there. And nobody cares..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I had a bad time on a tenerife tacky holiday after the leaving cert but I'm glad I went so I can just say I tried not being a dry-shite once and I'll not be doing it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Did Zakynthos for a cousin's wedding in 2010- a load of us young ones shared one tiiiiiny flat above a karaoke bar on the main strip (all our parents were in villas in the more civilised part of the island).

Got blotto every night we were there, went swimming at 3am, never rose before 1pm.

The sort of holiday that's the best craic ever when you're 22, but sounds like pure hell 10 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Never got around to the lads tacky holiday. Did blow a **** load of dosh on hookers in Cancun 20 years ago with a buddy. Stoney broke afterwards for the week and had to eat in McDonalds.

Sore mikey too after 12 hours of boozing I could not feel a thing but determined to get my money worth.

Later in the week I pulled this bird from Mayo. I was too tired to seal the deal and the one eyed monster was having none of it...she thought I was a pure gentleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My two friends have a story where they went somewhere tacky for a week. Arrived and realized there was an extra fee of 250 irish pounds to be paid so that was their spending money gone. They ate cornflakes for the week and could only go to bars where they as laydeeeez drank free - which was a lot of bars.
    So yeah they were grand in the end. A bit of liver poisoning aside.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Never got around to the lads tacky holiday. Did blow a **** load of dosh on hookers in Cancun 20 years ago with a buddy. Stoney broke afterwards for the week and had to eat in McDonalds.

Sore mikey too after 12 hours of boozing I could not feel a thing but determined to get my money worth.

Later in the week I pulled this bird from Mayo. I was too tired to seal the deal and the one eyed monster was having none of it...she thought I was a pure gentleman.

So sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Sometime back in the 1990s, went to Ibiza, what people often do not realise is the there are two sides to the island and one is the quiet family orientated side and the other is the party side.

Anyway, we got talking to this two young lads they had go a last-minute deal and had not looked at the details much, though all Ibiza was a party place and could not believe they had ended up in a place where bars close at midnight they could not afford to go the other side of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Worked in the tourism industry for near on 20 years. Classic customer complaints were (1) the woman who gave out about the numbers of black people in Jamaica and (2) the two lads who went wandering the various greek islands complaining about the number of gays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

One think I haven't done is the tacky weekend away such as a 3 day stag abroad.
    A work colleague was telling me about one which started with drinking at Dublin airport, then the plane, then the hotel bar, then the city bars, nightclub, casino before back to the hotel for a few hours sleep and then starting again at the hotel bar mid-morning and repeating for 3 days straight with a break for paintballing or golf or carting each day.
    All these trips seem to have some things in common. At least one guy who brings no clothes but says he is going to buy underwear/socks when they get there, less and less of the group do whatever activity is scheduled as the days go on and at least one guy sleeps in/doesn't get back to the hotel in time for going to airport for flight home.

Can't see myself doing such a trip now (41) but if I had to, I'd be ringing my health insurance provider before getting on the plane and booking the following week off work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Sam Hain wrote: »
    So sad.

I know and all the lovely native restaurants we had to walk by.

Advertisement