Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americanization of spelling and terminology

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

A supervisor told us in work today that a certain conference room was limited to two people due to covid social distancing and now it "cannot be used period".

Since when did the term full stop fall into disuse?

The same supervisor is often heard the phone reading out MAC addresses as 123 period 456 period 789 to other Irish people in other parts of the building.

Wanker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

looksee wrote: »
    Now most if not all jobs require literacy and while it is possible to get by guessing at what people mean, it is very, very easy for sufficiently lax use of language and grammar to creep into documents that a quite important letter, for example, could be sent out with the opposite meaning to what was intended.
    Using "apart" to mean "a part" is the latest thing I notice, so this could definitely happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

bluewolf wrote: »
    Using "apart" to mean "a part" is the latest thing I notice, so this could definitely happen!

Not noticed that so you mean apart is used like "apart of a jigsaw"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Not noticed that so you mean apart is used like "apart of a jigsaw"?

Yes, or "they want me to be apart of the family"
    Mostly see it on reddit

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yes, or "they want me to be apart of the family"
    Mostly see it on reddit

Or "apart from the the family" it does make it hard to know if its a typo or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I lived quite a few years in America and Incorporated alot of their slang.Which I get called out on since moving back.Old habits an all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SpielCheck

I switched to using "Center" a long time ago

It's one of my favourite words and has a nice symmetry to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

The latest I've noticed is "AM radio" been used, I thought MW is in Ireland.

The latest I've noticed is "AM radio" been used, I thought MW is in Ireland.

Think its all down to context? If I was talking about Long Wave I'd also use the term MW as in MW/LW on the other hand if I had an FM radio that also had a MW tuner I think in terms of it being an FM/AM radio.

But AM and MW aren't really the same thing because while MW is an AM broadcasting band so is Long Wave (LW) so LW and MW are both AM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Colloquial expression - like accents - is fluid over time, especially in a global context like we are increasingly in now. There is no right mode, whether Americanization, D4 or whatever.

I'm more concerned about people being able to actually express themselves legibly without resorting to idiotic contractions or text speak to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's no shopping malls in Ireland, we have shopping centres, as the cliche goes England and America are separated by a common language. I hope we stay as we are, we speak English in a different way than America and the UK,
    If there was an Irish drama made using a lot Dublin slang
    I don't think many English people would understand it eg I. Ll bring my moth to your gaff
    Of course many Web slang words are used in Ireland eg lol and hashtag
    I think some UK drama, s have subtitles on American TV if they feature regional accents
    Eg brummie, Scottish etc
    There's no elevators in Ireland we use lifts.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, us podcasters seem to only use 2 words, cool, awesome for anything
    they like. I think the standard of English and grammar in American schools must be quite low
    Can you afford to go to college. Have you some money, great, welcome,
    In Ireland you need do fairly well in the leaving cert to get the points to go to university.

It seems theres more American slang and phrases
    being used in Ireland because most of the apps
    and major social media websites are based in America
    there's no popular major app or social media service apart from Spotify that is based in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

These are minor issues. The use of American left and right rhetoric ( libtard, terf, white privilege etc. etc. etc. ) is poisonous to civility and discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

Wibbs wrote: »
    It might be, though I never heard it on my many visits to Cork as a kid, but let's say it is/was, it most certainly wasn't in the rest of the country. Ma, mammy, mam, or mum for the posher kids were. When this has come up before I've laid down a challenge for anyone to find any video or film or even written document on youtube or RTE or wherever where any Irish person refers to their mother as "Mom" before the mid 1990's. Good luck with that.

I knew an American lass when I was in my late teens in the 80s and she of course used to use American words and pronunciations and she would get playfully teased about them from time to time and one of them was "Mom". "Store" was another. It was the first time I learned that "shop" in the US meant workshop, not well, a shop. Though Americans also go shopping in stores, which was about the point where the mainspring in my brain let go. :D

Mom among other things like store are almost entirely a mid Atlantic influence that has spread in the last 20 years, just like the accent to be heard on many a younger Irish person, a certain type among suburban young women tend to affect it the most and have the most pronounced and nasally with a rising tone at the end type. I even noticed this difference in friend's kids. Their daughters are much more mid Atlantic than their sons.

TV has been blamed on it. I'm not so sure. As a kid growing up in Dublin like my peers we had the "piped TV" so got the UK stations and along with RTE showed many American TV series and nobody had the mid Atlantic accent. I grew up from from a toddler onwards on Sesame Street on RTE and yet... Though I did learn some Spanish(I think we got the LA version?). :D Indeed the accent was derided as daft and usually only present in wedding DJs and the like. :D

Store I can understand more as online shopping, much of it US or US English based took over. Spelling where zeds(not Zee :D) are swapped for S down to the aforementioned auto spellchecks. And since few enough seem to change the standard ringtones on their phones that's not such a surprise.

Mom is 100% a Cork thing and it is not recent. You may have visited Cork but if you didnt live here how are you to know what we call our Mothers! I was born in the 80's and have always called my mother Mom as do all my friends and colleagues except for a small few who would come from rural areas who call their Mom either Mam or Mammy.

The area I come from is now considered part of the suburbs of Cork but back in the 80s was considered a country village.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Hispanic and latino are the worst. A word for the Castillan side of Iberia and another for a Italo-Celtic tribe that migrated from Central Europe to Latium are used to describe people with Amerindian ancestry. Was told few times by North Americans that I don't look hispanic or latino despite being 89% South European according to 23andme, with the closest modern genetic group to me being Northern Italians.

Das Reich wrote: »
    Hispanic and latino are the worst. A word for the Castillan side of Iberia and another for a Italo-Celtic tribe that migrated from Central Europe to Latium are used to describe people with Amerindian ancestry. Was told few times by North Americans that I don't look hispanic or latino despite being 89% South European according to 23andme, with the closest modern genetic group to me being Northern Italians.

Well South Americans arent fully Amerindian but your point is well taken.

Both Hispanic and Latino are moronic terms for ethnicity. South and central America are diverse ethnically. Culturally there is a spanish influence of course.

As for latino as a identifier, it excludes Italians. I kid you not.

If I heard an Irish person say my mom, I'd assume they were joking.
    Irish people say ma or my mother or maybe mam.
    I never heard an Irish person say have you got a buck, or I have to go and get gas for my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

'literally' literally means figuratively now....

'literally' literally means figuratively now....

1 Not American
    2 Been like that for centuries.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    If I heard an Irish person say my mom, I'd assume they were joking.
    Irish people say ma or my mother or maybe mam.

Or Mum, or Mom.

I dont live in Kerry or visit that much but the discussion on this is always amazing.

Dub: Irish people don't say Mom.
    Kerryfolk: We do. Its an anglicization of the munster Irish pronunciation of mham
    Dub: you don't
    Kerryfolk: We do though. We would know.
    Dub: Naw
    Kerryfolk: WE WOULD KNOW!
    Dub:Nope
    Kerryfolk: WE DO!
    Dub: lies

I mean I had no idea until some people on here said it, and I cant see why they would lie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Mom is 100% a Cork thing and it is not recent. You may have visited Cork but if you didnt live here how are you to know what we call our Mothers!
    Man people get really defensive over this one in particular.
    I was born in the 80's and have always called my mother Mom as do all my friends and colleagues except for a small few who would come from rural areas who call their Mom either Mam or Mammy.
    So it's now narrowed down to a particular part of Cork county, specifically suburban or near suburban Cork city(though when this has come up before others have said it was rural not urban)? Actually that wouldn't altogether surprise me as Ireland has a lot of local accents and pronunciations. I can think of four Dublin ones off the top of my head and Two Cork.

However, maybe you missed this part:
    but let's say it is/was[a Cork thing], it most certainly wasn't in the rest of the country. Ma, mammy, mam, or mum for the posher kids were.

That's why I followed it with this:
    When this has come up before I've laid down a challenge for anyone to find any video or film or even written document on youtube or RTE or wherever where any Irish person refers to their mother as "Mom" before the mid 1990's. Good luck with that.

Now it's everywhere, pretty much a complete swap out and it didn't come from a small enough non rural group of Corkonians. It's almost certainly from American media and spread from there. Just like the mid Atlantic twang found on many voices.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

So, like, there I was waiting in line in the parking lot with my shopping cart to enter the grocery store in the shopping mall. I was parked on the top floor so I had to get the elevator to the first floor with the cart.

In the US, a "parking lot" is usually just outdoor ground level. A "parking garage" is what they call a multi-story carpark, although in Minnesota they call them "parking ramps". I use to get very confused when my Minneapolis colleagues told me they were building a "ramp" outside the company HQ. I had visions of cars taking off stunt-style.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Something I used to get annoyed by.. but now it's like **** it, what difference does it really make if one language that was forced on Ireland in the past it supplanted by another.

Which one? The one I was forced to learn at school that I don't use?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

riclad wrote: »
    I listen to a lot of podcasts, us podcasters seem to only use 2 words, cool, awesome for anything
    they like. I think the standard of English and grammar in American schools must be quite low
    Can you afford to go to college. Have you some money, great, welcome,
    In Ireland you need do fairly well in the leaving cert to get the points to go to university.

The way your posts are formatted with the line breaks, I assumed they were poems or verse. I've been reading them over and over looking for the metre or rhyme!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Guys, it is pretty simple. For as far back as anybody can remember:

Mom- for normal/Munster people.
    Ma - for Dublin skangers
    Mam/Mammy - for boggers
    Mum/Mummy - for prods or people with illusions (especially if said with posh pre-pubescent english boy accent)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dotsman wrote: »
    Guys, it is pretty simple. For as far back as anybody can remember:

Mom- for normal/Munster people.
    A) there's feck all normal to be found among Munster people. :D and B) again find any video or film or even written document on youtube or RTE or wherever where any Irish person refers to their mother as "Mom" before the mid 1990's.
    Mum/Mummy - for prods or people with allusions (especially if said with posh pre-pubescent english boy accent)
    Though if one has illusions of grandeur one is best not to write it as allusions. :p

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

A) there's feck all normal to be found among Munster people. :D and B) again find any video or film or even written document on youtube or RTE or wherever where any Irish person refers to their mother as "Mom" before the mid 1990's.

But I would imagine there would be no video/document from pre mid-90's for any of them. Mom is an informal term. Prior to mobile phones, I can't think of many scenarios where a person would be recorded saying or where a person would write the word "mom/ma/mam/mum" etc, other than maybe, a birthday card?
    Though if one has illusions of grandeur one is best not to write it as allusions. :p
    I'll put that one down to the hangover I'm currently experiencing ;)

Hangovers will do that alright. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Any of my Facebook friends who post about the 4th of July will be unfriended. I only have 60 friends anyway :pac:

I see they are arranging 4th July fireworks to celebrate frontline workers. Did they choose that day because it's Saturday or because they are trying to emulate that poxy day here.

Advertisement