Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric vehicles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

PHEV - PHEV

at least its not diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    probably should be in the motoring forum but anyways , im torn between buying a diesel SUV which makes me feel alive and a full electric which makes me feel like im embracing the future , both are the same price

bar a tesla , arent all those EV pretty dull ?

What diesel SUV makes you feel alive? Have you tried the electric option?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sonics2k wrote: »
    EV's are the future for sure, and so are hybrids.

But jesus they are the most dull cars to drive and have zero sex appeal behind the wheel.

I like my hybrid.
    Lovely to drive and a nice place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Fred_ wrote: »
    What diesel SUV makes you feel alive? Have you tried the electric option?

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It always makes me think of Alan Partridge. Sad middle-aged men slagging off perfectly decent cars because they take a perfectly reasonable amount of time to get from 0 to 60, as if it's something that matters.

It's not just 0-60 though. It's the car in it's totality. I've had a good few cars over the years, from a 1.4 Corolla Saloon, a 2.0 Galant, 1.3 Corolla Hatch, 1.3 Colt, 1.6 Civic Coupe, a 1.5 Almera and a 1.8 S40. Each one of those cars is drastically different to the others. Most were alright, I loved the Galant and S40 as aside from being more powerful, they were extremely comfortable.

I picked up a 2010 E220 Coupe last year, and a week after getting it I had to bring it back because of an AC issue. He was busy so would take a few days, and he gave me a 2014 1.4 Nissan Note for the few days. It was like going from a king size bed to a single bed. There was little to no comfort, and my back was sore after a long drive. Back in the Merc, I could drive non-stop to Germany and my back would be grand.

Just so happens that the more comfortable cars are also more powerful. I don't think I'll buy anything but a Merc again, as the comfort alone is worth the extra.

• Advertisement

bought the EV today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wouldn’t buy a diesel unless you clock up serious miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

My current car is a Diesel Audi A4 and I love it. It will be a good while yet but my next car will be fully electric or hydrogen hopefully.

I really dont see the point in hybrids, its only a stop gap job. And if you think the reapirs are expensive on Diesels...
    Personally id just get on with it and go fully electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AaronMic95

Hi, I'm a newbie here and I need help in making a decision as I'm considering getting an EV. While doing my research, I read about the SEAI grant for purchasing EVs and installing home chargers. Do you think purchasing an electric vehicle now is a good idea or should I wait for battery prices to go down further and range to increase a bit? One concern I have if I wait is that I'm worried that the grant would no longer be there when I decide to purchase as I've heard they've stopped the grants for companies purchasing EVs. Who knows but this might happen to other grants as well.

If you think I should go for it and buy one, what is the best EV car considering several factors like affordability, performance (range and charge time) and being future-ready? A sedan or a hatchback would be fine. Appearance is not too much of a factor for me as long as it performs well. I was initially choosing between a Renault Zoe, a Hyundai Ioniq or a Nissan Leaf just because of the price. Do you have any insights regarding these cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

AaronMic95 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a newbie here and I need help in making a decision as I'm considering getting an EV. While doing my research, I read about the SEAI grant for purchasing EVs and installing home chargers. Do you think purchasing an electric vehicle now is a good idea or should I wait for battery prices to go down further and range to increase a bit? One concern I have if I wait is that I'm worried that the grant would no longer be there when I decide to purchase as I've heard they've stopped the grants for companies purchasing EVs. Who knows but this might happen to other grants as well.

If you think I should go for it and buy one, what is the best EV car considering several factors like affordability, performance (range and charge time) and being future-ready? A sedan or a hatchback would be fine. Appearance is not too much of a factor for me as long as it performs well. I was initially choosing between a Renault Zoe, a Hyundai Ioniq or a Nissan Leaf just because of the price. Do you have any insights regarding these cars?

I have a 192 Ioniq and love it. I believe the range and features on the 202 ioniq are even better. Currently getting about 205km per charge with the good weather, it is less when it's colder. If your driving is limited to within a few dozen kilometers of your home and your getting a home charger installed, range may not be too much of an issue. If you have a long commute each day or heading down the country at weekend you may need to do more research on the ranges available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

blade1 wrote: »
    I like my hybrid.
    Lovely to drive and a nice place to be.

Do you live in it?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The whole EV “craze” is some craic. Overpaying for an inferior and often impractical product which isn’t all that environmentally friendly is not very clever. Sheep will be sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It always makes me think of Alan Partridge. Sad middle-aged men slagging off perfectly decent cars because they take a perfectly reasonable amount of time to get from 0 to 60, as if it's something that matters.

1v2wAX7IUobN.gif

What do you take joy in, if anything?

I'm sure we can pick a few holes in it.

and dont say your family, vom.

cournioni wrote: »
    The whole EV “craze” is some craic. Overpaying for an inferior and often impractical product which isn’t all that environmentally friendly is not very clever. Sheep will be sheep.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that most EV owners love their cars and would never go back to inferior ICE cars.

Cars in general are not environmentally friendly but EVs are better than ICE cars on this front.

There are circumstances when an ICE car is more practical but for the majority of journeys EV is preferable.

Not an EV owner.

cournioni wrote: »

what exactly is " inferior " about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

Get a bus ticket instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

i dont do a lot of driving , other half has a diesel for her 60 km round trip commute

i would plan to get the home charger , the 2 litre diesel 180 bhp SUV excites me more however

the kia nero has an equilivant to 204 bhp and 395Nm torque... so.....

kaahooters wrote: »
    the kia nero has an equilivant to 204 bhp and 395Nm torque... so.....

sure does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

i dont do a lot of driving , other half has a diesel for her 60 km round trip commute

i would plan to get the home charger , the 2 litre diesel 180 bhp SUV excites me more however

A diesel car excites you?

Well, it takes all sorts to make a world, but electric would excite me far more than a loud and polluting diesel. Plus fuel and taxes will be going up on diesel soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

New EVs are too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

what exactly is " inferior " about it ?
    Well, let's see. They cost a fortune because of the batteries. They have shorter range than an ICE. They take longer to refill than a petrol/diesel and the "fuel tank" shrinks every time you refill it. A good ICE run car will still be on the road 20 years after it's made because the technology is relatively simple and the main parts don't fall apart quickly over time. An electric car will at the very least need a new set of batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

SeanW wrote: »
    They take longer to refill than a petrol/diesel

This is only true when making a drive which is longer than the range of the battery. For most people, charging at home at night takes zero time.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Just went through that decision in deciding on a car for the other half.
    Most of her driving is local, work and shopping. But at weekends we might head to the country to see family etc.
    Looked at the Niro, Soul, Leaf and eGolf.
    Leaf and E golf are affordable enough but have limited range.
    She hated the Soul, although I quite liked it, especially the driving position.
    The Niro is a little expensive but the best of the lot we looked at.
    But another problem was the country area we go to has very few chargers.
    That will likely improve in time, but for now the full EV wont cut it for us.
    Went for the phev Niro. It will do the weekday drive on electric and still give us range for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The problem as I see it is that people are used to having one car do everything. People are buying cars for family cross-country trips they might do once or twice a year, rather than the solo daily commute. Here's an idea: get the electric car for the solo daily commute, and then rent a more suitable vehicle for the occasional long trip.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Well, let's see. They cost a fortune because of the batteries. They have shorter range than an ICE. They take longer to refill than a petrol/diesel and the "fuel tank" shrinks every time you refill it. A good ICE run car will still be on the road 20 years after it's made because the technology is relatively simple and the main parts don't fall apart quickly over time. An electric car will at the very least need a new set of batteries.

An ice car is relatively simple? There are far fewer moving parts to an EV.

Kia Nero EV Vs Hyundai Kona EV

Interesting competition, tough choice.

If I had the money

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A good ICE run car will still be on the road 20 years after it's made because the technology is relatively simple and the main parts don't fall apart quickly over time. An electric car will at the very least need a new set of batteries.
    That's somewhat true, though as Fred points out EV's are simpler and should be able to last far longer than any ICE car.

The problem is it's a moot point either way. I drive a 22 year old ICE car. I would be a tiny minority who does. What's under the bonnet doesn't really matter. Our consumerist culture replaces cars far more quickly than that. It's "designed" to. That's our economic model, EV's wont change that anytime soon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

Kia Nero EV Vs Hyundai Kona EV

Interesting competition, tough choice.

If I had the money

Niro everyday of the week. Much bigger car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

daheff wrote: »

Agreed. The boot of the Kona is non existent.

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »

But will it go as far as the Kona per charge?

Advertisement