Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds still closed for walk ins

Options
  • 01-07-2020 11:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I was walking up Grafton Street today and somewhat to my surprise McDonalds one of main landmarks on the street was still CLOSED not even open for takeaways whilst almost every other retail and food establishment is now open. In fact the vast majority of shops that are still closed are those that have gone out of business during lockdown. Why is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

GT89 wrote: »
    I was walking up Grafton Street today and somewhat to my surprise McDonalds one of main landmarks on the street was still CLOSED not even open for takeaways whilst almost every other retail and food establishment is now open. In fact the vast majority of shops that are still closed are those that have gone out of business during lockdown. Why is this?

They went out of business, you just didn't get your hand delivered letter from Ronald yet.

Keep an eye out, he's doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

py2006 wrote: »
    Ok

Insightful comment. You made a great contribution to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From my understanding McDonald's did a trial at a handful of Drive-thru's before expanding opening all of them.
    They are probably doing the same with the walk in Restaurant's!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Insightful comment. You made a great contribution to the discussion.

Ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's probably harder given the volume of customers they have and the fact that there's a shared entrance and exit.

I wouldn't fancy manning the doors there.

GT89 wrote: »

It's a sad state of affairs when McDonald's is considered a landmark

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's a good thing we weren't struck with the predicament of which Burger King?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm surprised Costa is still closed when lots of small coffee shops are open, Starbucks etc are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fun fact. It was the only fast food joint that wasn't burnt out in 1916.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Are they still open for drive-bys?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,875 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a small narrow entrance with a relatively narrow aisle leading up to the checkouts which are usually crowded. It’s also got to be I’d imagine one of the busier shops in the city and country by the nature of where it is so I can’t imagine enforcing distancing is going to be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

I would guess that McDonald's decision to install self service order screens, previously smeared with all kind of muck and now smeared with C-19, would be a reason for caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Wht about blowin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Don't know if it was burger king or McDonalds but at least one of them was open on oconnell street two days back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Fun fact. It was the only fast food joint that wasn't burnt out in 1916.

Padraig Pearce was partial to the ould McNuggets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Padraig Pearce was partial to the ould McNuggets

Legend has it , that there was a tunnel from the GPO to McDonald's in O Connell street.

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a small narrow entrance with a relatively narrow aisle leading up to the checkouts which are usually crowded. It’s also got to be I’d imagine one of the busier shops in the city and country by the nature of where it is so I can’t imagine enforcing distancing is going to be possible.

Worked there for a few of years in the late 90s. At the time, management claimed that, based on single-day sales, it was the busiest in Europe due to the volume of sales on Paddy's day. You're talking 10-15 deep queues, all day (from 10am til about 6.30pm).

Second busiest day was always the mini-marathon, ironically enough. We'd run out of diet coke every year I worked that day.

Don't know if it was burger king or McDonalds but at least one of them was open on oconnell street two days back.

Burger King at the top of Grafton St. is open for takeouts if yiz want burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Are they still open for drive-bys?

It doesn’t need to be open for you to drive by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Worked there for a few of years in the late 90s. At the time, management claimed that, based on single-day sales, it was the busiest in Europe due to the volume of sales on Paddy's day. You're talking 10-15 deep queues, all day (from 10am til about 6.30pm).

Second busiest day was always the mini-marathon, ironically enough. We'd run out of diet coke every year I worked that day.

Yeah the Grafton St McDonalds is absolutely mobbed all day long every day, the amount of people they serve is incredible. Whoever owns it has made serious money out of it over the years.

Had heard before about 10 years back that the Dominoes in Tallaght is the busiest in Europe, think it was Andrew Maxwell who joked it was because people in Tallaght are afraid to leave their houses

Advertisement