Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying first house - what to ask ?

Options
  • 21-07-2015 9:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am in the process of buying my first house and I have no idea what questions to ask.

I know from buying cars I ask questions like

How many previous owners?
    Any outstanding finance?
    is NCT done?
    Was the timing chain done?
    How old are tyres?
    how many services done?
    How long have you owned the car?
    Howe long are you trying to sell the car?
    Howe much is annual tax?
    Was car ever involved in a crash?

etc etc

As well as running a cartell report on the car.

Would anyone have a list of basic questions to ask when buying a house ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Quick google finds here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

What furniture, fittings etc being left behind and included in sale.
    Who is selling.
    Why are they selling?
    Any negative equity?

Age of house, boiler etc
    type off boiler.
    Mains water, sewerage etc?
    Broadband availability, also check mobile reception while there.
    Ever flooded or fire, any insurance issues?
    Type of windows, insulation etc
    ber if not on listing?
    Any recent decorations if so why? Eg. painted wall could be hiding damp.
    Any planning, structural or subsidence issues with it or neighboring houses.

Ae there any bids? Is there some flexibility on the price? Why asking price x when price register shows nearby house at price y.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

From our house hunt last year, for whatever you might think applies to you

Questions for EA

The building:
    • What way does the house face?

• How old is the house?

• Overall floor space – ft2 or m2

• Has the house or the area ever suffered from flooding or subsidence?

• Have any major works or additions been carried out since the house was originally built? If so, is there a cert of compliance with building regulations?

• Has the roof been repaired or replaced since the property was built?

• Have pipes ever frozen in the winter?

• Has there ever been a fire in the house?

• Has there ever been difficulty securing home insurance at normal rates?

• Exactly what is included in the sale? Ask about light fittings and appliances

• Garage – if present check for electricity

• Where is the entrance to the attic and is there storage space there?

Current owners:
    • How long are the current owners living there?
    • Why are they selling?
    • When are the owners hoping to move out?

Services / Utilities
    • Water:
    What is the source of the water supply?

Have there ever been any problems with pressure, water quality etc?

Is it hard water?

If not mains, then what charges apply?

If a group scheme, how does that work?

• Sewerage:
    Is the sewerage mains or septic tank?

If septic tank, is it within the site boundaries, is it registered and does it comply with new regulations?

When was the tank last emptied?

Have there ever been problems with the sewerage? Leaks, blockages etc.

• Is the LPT (and household charge before it) paid? What value was placed on the house for LPT purposes?

• Heating:
    Oil or gas? Is there a timer? Separate control of heating, hot water?

Is it zoned?

Is the EA aware of any problems with heating/boiler?

If there’s a stove, is it backboiler or room heat only and what wattage?

Local Area

• Are there any plans or planning permission for other developments in the area?

• What can they tell us about the neighbourhood and the neighbours?

General things to look for:

• Condition of gutters
    • Is there a cloakroom
    • Taps : turn on to check water pressure
    • Sound insulation : check how well we can hear each other between rooms
    • General storage i.e. where would we keep bins, vacuum, ironing board, steam mop etc
    • Number/location of sockets, phone points, tv points
    • Mobile phone reception
    • Condition of lawn/drive
    • Chimney cowl (to keep birds out)
    • Do all the windows open (because we looked at a house where they didn't as they were damaged and that would have meant immediate repairs)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's worth having a look at the requisitions on title that the Solicitors exchange that deal with most of these issues

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What broadband services are available.
    Any pyrite issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Would anyone have a list of basic questions to ask when buying a house ?

The number # 1 for me is:

Why are they selling?

If its a reposessed home being sold by the bank, beware that this adds months to the process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thanks all, some great replies and info there,keep them coming :)

So how would you ask the question.

Who is selling the house , bank or private seller ?

Can you ask how much is left on mortgage etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Other general things

- location - see how long it takes to commute to work in rush hour
    - buses/trains - are they packed at your nearby stop?
    - Or are you near the terminus
    - was the house rented out, or did a family live in it
    - are your neighbours residents or renters
    look over the neighbours wall, is it in good condition, have they a noisy dog etc?
    - look around the estate, do people keep their houses/streets tidy
    - schools - what schools are in your area, and which can you apply to
    - is a water meter installed or not
    - check what broadband speeds are available if outside of the suburbs
    - check Google maps satellite view, check out the area, is there waste ground or possible new developments maybe over your back garden wall?

Check the house for external and internal cracks, sunken paths around the house, etc. Then also check the neighbours, see if there's subsidence issues nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Can you ask how much is left on mortgage etc ?

That's of no real interest to you.
    You just pay the price you agree. Doesn't matter if they were in positive or negative equity.

That's of no real interest to you.
    You just pay the price you agree. Doesn't matter if they were in positive or negative equity.

but sure if in negative equity, the whole process may take way longer and maybe repayments are arse ways and the bank may own house etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭peter_dublin

You can ask if there is any negative equity but you would be told to go get lost if you asked how much, just as the vendor can't ask how much your mortgage approval is for. Your solicitor will just confirm you have funds to meet the agreed price.

You can ask if there is any negative equity but you would be told to go get lost if you asked how much, just as the vendor can't ask how much your mortgage approval is for. Your solicitor will just confirm you have funds to meet the agreed price.

fair enough thanks

What broadband services are available.
    Any pyrite issues.

what is pyrite

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

what is pyrite

It's a mineral, that, if accidently incorporated into construction materials, causes swelling and cracks/fissures over time. It's been a problem in some builds in the last twenty years or so.

http://www.pyriteboard.ie/Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx

alastair wrote: »
    It's a mineral, that, if accidently incorporated into construction materials, causes swelling and cracks/fissures over time. It's been a problem in some builds in the last twenty years or so.

http://www.pyriteboard.ie/Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx

Right. Thanks. But How likely is it that normal joe soaps would even know about this.

Right. Thanks. But How likely is it that normal joe soaps would even know about this.

Pretty likely. It's a problem that's been pretty well covered in the media. It's only really a concern for relatively recent developments though.

alastair wrote: »
    Pretty likely. It's a problem that's been pretty well covered in the media. It's only really a concern for relatively recent developments though.

Sh1te. Must keep up to date with the news etc. . Never even heard of it

So define recent, do you mean in last 2 years or 20 years.

Sh1te. Must keep up to date with the news etc. . Never even heard of it

So define recent, do you mean in last 2 years or 20 years.

It seems to have emerged as an Irish problem in the last 10 years. Around 10,000 builds impacted in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

You should get a surveyor/engineer/architects inspection on the house before buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

The three big things to consider when buying are Location, Price and Type of Property. Get these three right and other stuff is less important. You can look up the prices houses sold for in the online "property price register" which covers recent years sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Really surprised nobody has mentioned finding out if there's a management company. It's not just apartment developments that have them in the last 15 years or so. The financial state of the management company and whether the estate has been taken in charge by the council are major issues if the house is in such an estate.

Rabbo wrote: »
    You should get a surveyor/engineer/architects inspection on the house before buying

Ok. But isn't this just a step that HAS to be completed in the whole process ?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Ok. But isn't this just a step that HAS to be completed in the whole process ?

If you are getting finance, it usually has to be. If you are a cash buyer, it's your choice. The surveyors survey should unearth any issues that a layman mightn't see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Buying a house is exactly like buying a car. Ask what you like, conversations are nice. Then ignore all of it and get it checked by a professional. In this case a surveyor.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭slystallone

How much notice should you be giving a surveyor these days in order to do the survey? for example if I start contacing guys to survey after going sale agreed am I going to get someone fairly lively or are they going to start saying 'we are very busy, call back in few weeks' kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 igord

Hi, does anyone know if it's usual to ask/get the house plans for a new build like electric and water lines layout etc.? Basically having them in case any major work is needed in the future.

Same for second-hand homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

Hi Everyone, I'm in the same situation and I will have next week my first apartment viewing.

This topic has been helpful and I understand what kind of questions I must ask .... but what about questions that the vendor can ask you? and  which questions we really need to provide an answer/prove?

For example, I'm wondering about the AIP . From my understanding, they can request the AIP letter from the bank during the viewing to prove the mortgage approval..but in this case, they will know how much mortgage I requested...

is it ok ?

Thank you 😅 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I'd ring up surveyor a few days in advance, look on Google maps, is there empty land spaces near the house, could be sites for new houses or apartments, in the future

energy rating house,? if house is old it may need rewiring, the sellers mortgage doesn't really matter it'll be paid off when the house is sold or the previous owner will owe say 20k

If you are getting a mortgage the bank may send a surveyor he looks around the house for 10 minutes makes sure there's no serious issues eg the house is worth the asking price old houses may need rewiring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

For many of the questions suggested above you may not not get an answer from the estate agents, for example they have no obligation to give out information about the sellers.

You could find out a bit about the property yourself such as :

1. Check out the estate late at night on a few different evenings, is it noisy, parties, barking dogs, gangs of teenagers, rubbish on the street in front of houses. Don't hesitate to knock on a door or two to ask about the street. Most people are helpful.

2. Check out the property price register, is there a large turnover of property over the past 10 years, multiple turnover of the same property.

I'd never trust an EA to give me accurate information on stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 igord

What would multiple turnover of the properly indicate? Also if the area has more properties for sale in the same street? Just in your opinion, of course.

Advertisement