Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware When Switching From Electric Ireland

Options
  • 31-03-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

I was charged a €50 "exit fee" by Electric Ireland when I switched to another provider
    the day after my Electric Ireland contract expired.

I called them and the error was immediately acknowleged and I was informed that the charge would be rescinded.

I can't be the only one affected by this system error!
    So .... be sure to check your closing Electric Ireland bills .. Past, Present & Future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hi eirman,

Just to let you know, this unfortunately isn't a new thing. They have been doing this to customers since April of 2017. You can have a look here - https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057728212/1#post112899309.

If you wouldn't mind, can you post over on that thread as well - the more people that post there the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Hi Arciphel - I'll post on that thread when I get a new final bill.

When I spoke to the Electric Ireland rep, he did not seem in the least surprised at the 'error'!
    He was probably more surprised that I had spotted it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seems to be a new craze among providers. Eir charged me early termination on 2 accounts, both of which were cancelled correctly. One for nearly €500....

It's important to close DDs with companies once you finish with them. Let them send you an actual invoice and you can agree a payment and pay over the phone.

Lots of utilities are paid in advance, so you could be due a refund depending on when you cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sirspamalot

Please BEWARE switching TO electric Ireland, I got a quote from Bonkers.ie (shopping around for a new Energy supplier)

Electric Ireland looked the cheapest, My current supplier replied, beat their discount (handily) so I told Electric Ireland I wasn't interested in moving

I made it clear that this decision was made WITHIN the cooling off period

Now I am getting emails from JOHN DWAYNE (customer ops manager) telling me that I am a customer and I will be getting bills. It seems that even though I started the switching process ONLINE, I now need to send a PRINTED form to them telling them I am not interested.

And by the way, their Customer Support line is not manned. (1800 807 807) It just rings and rings and rings. Gave up after 30mins.

Caveat Emptor !

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement