Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child's An Post Account doesn't Exist?

Options
  • 21-03-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All,
    Anyone every have a problem with An Post saying your child's savings account doesn't exist even though you were issued a book and made two lodgements? Unfortunately the savings book was destroyed and when I asked for a replacement book they said the account didn't exist? I've been in touch with the local post master, who has verbally remembered the account and lodgements and head office but both have said there is nothing they can do and it's my problem. I have no lodgement receipts with the account number on it. There is over 1000 Euro lodged into this account! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HostMum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How was the savings book 'destroyed'? This sounds like an inside (family) job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hostmum73

lol... totally my fault.. picked up the wrong bundle of paperwork to bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hostmum73 wrote: »
    lol... totally my fault.. picked up the wrong bundle of paperwork to bin

Who else has access to the account and could have cleared and closed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

someone could have found the book in the bin, chanced there arm in a post office and withdrew the cash and closed the account.

But if this was the case, surely an post would have a record of the account, a closed account would not mean delete all records surely.

How did you lodge the payments, was it by cash or did you pay by a bank card?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi All,
    Anyone every have a problem with An Post saying your child's savings account doesn't exist even though you were issued a book and made two lodgements? Unfortunately the savings book was destroyed and when I asked for a replacement book they said the account didn't exist? I've been in touch with the local post master, who has verbally remembered the account and lodgements and head office but both have said there is nothing they can do and it's my problem. I have no lodgement receipts with the account number on it. There is over 1000 Euro lodged into this account! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HostMum

That doesn't sound right,it's either incompetence,fraud or robbery,I'd contact the head office,and a solicitor after I went to the Gardai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The savings accounts in An Post are pretty chaotic in my experience when something slightly unusual happens.

Making a dormant account claim is another possibility. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/banking/dormant_bank_accounts_in_ireland.html (I realise the account is not yet officially dormant, but the dormant accounts process might root it out.)

You could also potentially make a GDPR request in your child's name or in your own namer to try to get their attention.

If you got a printed lodgement docket, there must be a trace. Your or your child's Date of Birth or PPSN must be recorded against the account as well as (obviously) the name. They should be able to trace this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

How long ago did you open the book or put money into it ?

Was the account in your name or the childs ? What age is the child ?

Only me and my hubby so nobody else had access. Kids to young to withdraw money without an adult

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

are the saying it never existed or is closed

the account belongs to a 3 year old so definitely not him. lol

• Advertisement

the account belongs to a 2 yea old so definitely not him lol

cash lodgments and yes you're right about a withdrawal or closed account. they have no record of the account ever existing...

never existed...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Perhaps check if your child's account is actually in your name (or the name of the adult who opened it). When I opened a bank account for my child (probably over 10 years ago) the name on the account was "My Name for Child's Name minor"

That doesn't sound right,it's either incompetence,fraud or robbery,I'd contact the head office,and a solicitor after I went to the Gardai

Jesus wept.

Gardai? Maybe take a chill pill for a second first because the Gardai went entertain you.

Solicitor? Well that will be the end of the 1000 in the account then just in fees.

cash lodgments and yes you're right about a withdrawal or closed account. they have no record of the account ever existing...

Can they track accounts using the address?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Someone is on the fiddle here

Follow the money

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They just seem to be incompetent when it comes to finding accounts if you dont know the account number. Unless you can tell them the exact name and address they wont find it. I had the same issue with my mothers post office account and hers had a lot more than a grand in it.

The account was in my child's name. I haven't been able to put money into it for more than 12 months as I was advised by the post master to wait and see if they sent out an annual statement. I lodged money into this account on two different occasions when I still had the book. The post master remembers me opening the account and making the lodgements.

The account was in my child's name. I haven't been able to put money into it for more than 12 months as I was advised by the post master to wait and see if they sent out an annual statement. I lodged money into this account on two different occasions when I still had the book. The post master remembers me opening the account and making the lodgements. we've checked every possibility... my name, his name, my ppsn and his ppsn... I don't understand how they can't trace it through his ppsn as it's a unique identify number...

• Advertisement

they have the exact name and address and we haven't lived anywhere else in 23 years... still nothing came up in their searches. The account simply doesn't exist. I think GDPR is probably the way to go as the original paperwork has been archived but when I did work similar to this with registrations we always wrote the identifying numbers on the hard copy of documentation that was sent to us.

I tried that to. even searched under my maiden name although I've been married for more than 20 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Jesus wept.

Gardai? Maybe take a chill pill for a second first because the Gardai went entertain you.

Solicitor? Well that will be the end of the 1000 in the account then just in fees.

Actually if you think about it , gardai cost nothing, solicitor letter e40 citing client has been to gardai etc,then the wheels will roll.
    ATM he/she is stuck getting nowhere
    P.S. no such thing as a chill pill

What exactly does the OP say to the guards?
    I can't remember the account details and they won't help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

Actually if you think about it , gardai cost nothing, solicitor letter e40 citing client has been to gardai etc,then the wheels will roll.

Gardai cost nothing. Ffs.

Sure they have nothing better to be doing with their time than dealing with the OP that threw out the wrong papers and an obvious clerical error by an post.

What exactly does the OP say to the guards?
    I can't remember the account details and they won't help me.

I had 1000 euro until these shower stole it

have you tried to get the postmaster to ring up about it. its a lot harder to tell them it never existed when they an say for a fact that they open it and lodged money

I had 1000 euro until these shower stole it

That's some nice slander but not accurate

• Advertisement

Actually if you think about it, the cost of Gardai is irrelevant. They are police, they investigate actual crimes. Not grievances, not customer service complaints but crimes. Unless the op wants someone arrested and charged with an actual crime that requires proof of an actual act, don't waste their time. They have better things to do.

Dunno where you get your figures for a solicitor but it's not that simple. First off, so what if it's a solicitor writing? That supposed to scare someone? So what if she went to the Gardai, an post will think the same thing I do, that was a waste of time and the Gardai won't be going busting down doors and slapping postie about.

Atm the op is indeed stuck but giving her silly wasteful advise to go speak to the wrong people and spend money she doesn't need to is only going to get her more stuck.

If no chill pill, try a reality pill

Op, at this stage maybe try a freedom of information request? See what a fresh channel achieves? Or the complaint as someone else suggested.

Advertisement