Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to decide about heels..?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

i'm trying to wear heels more often because i'm quite short. i've come to realise however that my feet are slightly wider than most and that i fall awkwardly between a size 4 and a size 5 -- size 5 will slip off as i walk and size 4 will always squeeze and bruise my toes and balls of my feet.

the problem is that this is never full apparent until i walk outside of the house in them. it doesn't seem to matter how much i try them on at home or in the shop, i never know for sure if they're going to work until i step outside of the house.

so i finally thought i found an (almost) perfect pair of black low heels from clarks (not a place i would have considered until i decided my feet must be wide). they seem like they might be a good solution for me (though i wish they were slightly higher or more glamorous), but they were on the pricey end for someone whos just trying to get to grips with heels (85 euro). they're size 4 and a half, and when i tried them on in the shop they seemed a good fit, but when i got home they seemed a bit too tight.

i can't decide whether to keep them or not. i know i won't be able to tell if they suit me until i spend some time walking around in them, but how can i do this without wearing them to the point of not being able to return them? is there a solution to this? how do you know if a new pair of shoes are going to be comfortable or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

If I'm between two sizes I generally buy the smaller one. If you're wearing them often enough they stretch out quickly. In saying that you'll probably get a lot of people who say the opposite, that they just stick insoles in to make them smaller. I've got a really high arch so I can't do that though..
    Personally it's worth it to have one night of pain and stretch them out that to be walking around in too big shoes.

If you're not used to wearing heels then every pair is going to be uncomfortable until you get used to them. They're never as comfortable as flats no matter how well they fit.

If I were you I'd return the Clarkes ones. You've said that they were a little expensive and not high enough or glamorous enough anyway. NewLook do a wide fit range where you can get gorgeous shoes for a fraction of what you'd pay in Clarkes. Why not try there and then at least if those shoes don't work out you haven't wasted nearly €100?

Advertisement