Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harvey Norman faulty TV

Options
  • 26-03-2020 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Looking for some consumer advise here, we purchased a LG tv from HN in November 2017, it has since developmend a fault of a bluish hue on the screen. A bit of research shows its not uncommon for tvs manufactured in that year, led array failure.

I called into their shop in Swords and was basically told I have no rights on a product over two years old and ...'people usually just buy a new tv'

I emailed their customer assistance and got no reply, emailed again and got a call from HN advising the 2 year warranty is up nothing to do with them etc.

I know the 2 year warranty is an EU protection and does not apply as we gave greater protection under The Sale of Goods act and Supply of Services act. This was quoted to HN and we want repair, replacement or refund. The guy just hung up the phone.

Anyways looking for the next step to proceed with, a registered letter to head office has been suggested before on Boards in similar circumstances but with the current crisis it may never be addressed or even looked at!

Anyone have similar dealing with HN and is Small Claims Court our next or only recourse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

GIMP wrote: »
    Looking for some consumer advise here, we purchased a LG tv from HN in November 2017, it has since developmend a fault of a bluish hue on the screen. A bit of research shows its not uncommon for tvs manufactured in that year, led array failure.

I called into their shop in Swords and was basically told I have no rights on a product over two years old and ...'people usually just buy a new tv'

I emailed their customer assistance and got no reply, emailed again and got a call from HN advising the 2 year warranty is up nothing to do with them etc.

I know the 2 year warranty is an EU protection and does not apply as we gave greater protection under The Sale of Goods act and Supply of Services act. This was quoted to HN and we want repair, replacement or refund. The guy just hung up the phone.

Anyways looking for the next step to proceed with, a registered letter to head office has been suggested before on Boards in similar circumstances but with the current crisis it may never be addressed or even looked at!

Anyone have similar dealing with HN and is Small Claims Court our next or only recourse?

yes SCC is the only way forward. Write a headed letter or email to their HQ. Regardless of whether they see it or not they probably wont contest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Can I ask how much the TV was?

A SCC judge will take into account the amount of time it did work when allocating any award. So unless it was €500+ I probably wouldn't waste my time.

theteal wrote: »
    Can I ask how much the TV was?

A SCC judge will take into account the amount of time it did work when allocating any award. So unless it was €500+ I probably wouldn't waste my time.

I get your point but I would..the TV is only 2 years old. assume one paid 450 and the tv breaks down after 2 years. I would expect at least 300 if not more from SCC.

Currently HN are offering the OP nothing in terms of a remedy. Assuming this is faulty TV SCC is a win win

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

skinny90 wrote: »
    I get your point but I would..the TV is only 2 years old. assume one paid 450 and the tv breaks down after 2 years. I would expect at least 300 if not more from SCC.

Currently HN are offering the OP nothing in terms of a remedy. Assuming this is faulty TV SCC is a win win

Anytime I have brought anything back to HN/Currys/Expert, I’ve always been met with the same response as the op, I guess the staff are told to do this, hoping that the majority of customers will take them at their word and feck off. A bit of arguing and once, for my elderly father, a threat of SCC and they have always relented. I doubt you could expect the full price back after using it for 2 years, but they certainly should offer some remedy.

I think you'd be very lucky to get €300 back for a 2yr old €450 TV. If memory serves correctly, we've seen expensive OLED models "depreciate" by ~€300 per year of use when a SCC judge makes an award.

I agree, it appears to be a slam dunk case in this regard and I have a fondness for bringing retailers to task. I would just make sure the OP is aware that they're not going to get a full refund.

Either way, the OP needs to send the letter to HQ first and follow that process, chances are they'll relent before it get to SCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Cheers guys we paid E480 for tv , while I may not get full value of tv through SCC as somebody said HN aren't even giving me a remedy.

Anyone know their head office address, I am going to lash off a letter to them asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Our website is operated by Harvey Norman Trading (Ireland) Limited (“us”, “our”, “we”, “Harvey Norman”). We are a limited liability company registered in Ireland under company number 362610 and have our registered office at Brent House, Swords Business Park, Swords, Co. Dublin. Our VAT registration number is 6382610P.

I think you'd be very lucky to get €300 back for a 2yr old €450 TV. If memory serves correctly, we've seen expensive OLED models "depreciate" by ~€300 per year of use when a SCC judge makes an award.

I agree, it appears to be a slam dunk case in this regard and I have a fondness for bringing retailers to task. I would just make sure the OP is aware that they're not going to get a full refund.

Either way, the OP needs to send the letter to HQ first and follow that process, chances are they'll relent before it get to SCC.

It’s all about context...if you paid 2K for a top of the range spec one year and 2 years later you have to go through scc you can expect a greater depreciation of the initial 2K. 450 quid after 2 years won’t be the same

It’s all about context...if you paid 2K for a top of the range spec one year and 2 years later you have to go through scc you can expect a greater depreciation of the initial 2K. 450 quid after 2 years won’t be the same

Yes but the reasonably expected lifespan of the product is the major factor. Again working from memory of those expensive OLED cases, the quoted life was ~5 years (I don't agree with this but this is from feedback we've seen in this very forum) so they literally took the purchase price and divided by this amount hence the €300 per year against a €1500 product.

I don't think its madness to suggest that they would put a reasonable life of ~3 years on a €450 TV. That doesn't leave you arguing for much after 2 years of use.

Anyway, if HN are of any use it wont come this this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes but the reasonably expected lifespan of the product is the major factor. Again working from memory of those expensive OLED cases, the quoted life was ~5 years (I don't agree with this but this is from feedback we've seen in this very forum) so they literally took the purchase price and divided by this amount hence the €300 per year against a €1500 product.

I don't think its madness to suggest that they would put a reasonable life of ~3 years on a €450 TV. That doesn't leave you arguing for much after 2 years of use.

I had 2 projectors fail. And that is how it was handled.

One with Argos who refunded directly, even though the stated warranty was 2 years, the person I dealt with when I walked in said they will take it as 6 years.

Second time was the manufacturer themselves.

Both times they failed at just under 3 years.

• Advertisement

Yeah but your not paying for a lifespan...its all the bells and whistles/picture quality etc and yes it could be argued that you pay x amount more it should last longer how this is not the case...There is no Tv manufacturer stating this.

OP please let us know how you get on I would be very interested. My moneys on 300-350 OP will get from SCC

Yeah but your not paying for a lifespan...its all the bells and whistles/picture quality etc and yes it could be argued that you pay x amount more it should last longer how this is not the case...There is no Tv manufacturer stating this

Sorry this is incorrect, it's inherent to the contract of sale. The item should be reasonably durable. It doesn't matter what a manufacturer states, it's the law of the land.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html
    Consumer contracts are protected by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980.

Under this Act the purchaser of goods has a number of rights - the main ones are

Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

OP I’ve been through the process with Meteor and PC like yourself with a TV. They followed the same course as HN set was 3 years old and paid €800.

Sent email to CS dept outlining the 3 Rs nothing. I logged it with SCC received a date for court sitting PC send me a cheque for the full amount when I received a court date.

Log the claim with the SCC and email HN stating that you have been left no other choice but to start the SCC process.

Best of luck with it.

Sorry this is incorrect, it's inherent to the contract of sale. The item should be reasonably durable. It doesn't matter what a manufacturer states, it's the law of the land.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

No one is disputing this,reread my post ... however if your paying 450 or 2K for a tv the difference will not be durability

No one is disputing this,reread my post ... however if your paying 450 or 2K for a tv the difference will not be durability

You're paying for lots of additionals with the increased cost and increased durability is most certainly a primary factor in this. Not my opinion, look up SCC awards for proof.

You're paying for lots of additionals with the increased cost and increased durability is most certainly a primary factor in this. Not my opinion, look up SCC awards for proof.

I don’t have to. My point is that scc will still award the op 300 ish towards his/her new tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Just an update to this for anyone looking for future advice or reference.

We went down the Small Claims route, initially HN contacted us offering a credit note but it was limited to the purchase of a new tv only not shop credit, which is fair tbh.

We refused this on the basis that over 4 months had passed since our initial reporting of the faulty tv and we had to purchase a new one in the meantime at our expense.

Outcome, they asked for the return of tv via courier and we got a cheque for the full purchase price of the tv. Case never progressed to SC but it was well worth the E25 registering the claim.

GIMP wrote: »
    Just an update to this for anyone looking for future advice or reference.

We went down the Small Claims route, initially HN contacted us offering a credit note but it was limited to the purchase of a new tv only not shop credit, which is fair tbh.

We refused this on the basis that over 4 months had passed since our initial reporting of the faulty tv and we had to purchase a new one in the meantime at our expense.

Outcome, they asked for the return of tv via courier and we got a cheque for the full purchase price of the tv. Case never progressed to SC but it was well worth the E25 registering the claim.

Class, great to hear you got a full refund! The system works

Advertisement