Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 [Mod notes in OP - Updated 29.01.21]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Keeper really put that on a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Player of the season so far Bruno does it again

Created that out of nothing

But but but but the stats v the top 6!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,383 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That United equalizer came from Tete being a lazy useless footballer giving the ball away and just walking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

That United equalizer came from Tete being a lazy useless footballer giving the ball away and just walking back.

prob 90% of goals can be attributed to a mistake from the opposition

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Awful from Maguire, he really should have scored from that position, not even a challenge near him. Not a good sign for Fulham.

• ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Awful from Maguire, he really should have scored from that position, not even a challenge near him. Not a good sign for Fulham.

He is repeatedly poor in the air

An awful miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,383 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

prob 90% of goals can be attributed to a mistake from the opposition

It was the laziness after the mistake that should have annoyed the manager.
    He gave the ball away and didn’t bother to even chase the player. Just walked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just seen the first City goal thats absolutle scandalous not to give off side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,356 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bruno was super for the goal, but let's call it what it was - a howler from the keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anguissa looks a real talent for Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's hard not to question the integrity of the PL when they will do such mental gymnastics to try to say the officials and VAR came to the right decision for the first City goal. Every time they make an error they can say that's the rule but we'll change it now just like they did with the handballs when that was misinterpretted earlier in the season.

VAR has changed nothing. Authorities still bailing out incompetent referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just seen the first City goal thats absolutle scandalous not to give off side

I've been watching soccer for over 40 years, and I've never seen anything like that - I've seen referees making howlers in the heat of the moment, or a linesman fvcking up royally, but for that goal to stand after officials have reviewed it, is a different game from what I've been watching - it's a fundamental change in the rules, almost akin to knowingly allowing a forward to deliberately catch the ball and throw the ball into the net.
    Crazy stuff! I've said it years, the standard of officiating in England is scandalously bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

On City's first goal:

Imagine Mings had headed that ball straight up in the air, made a bit of a mess of the clearance, and the first person to touch it was Rodri running back. Would he have been offside then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I've been watching soccer for over 40 years, and I've never seen anything like that - I've seen referees making howlers in the heat of the moment, or a linesman fvcking up royally, but for that goal to stand after officials have reviewed it, is a different game from what I've been watching - it's a fundamental change in the rules, almost akin to knowingly allowing a forward to deliberately catch the ball and throw the ball into the net.
    Crazy stuff! I've said it years, the standard of officiating in England is scandalously bad.

And the shocking level of refereeing will continue until someone is held accountable.

There are no consequences for those in charge with these repeated farcical decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Brilliant play by Loftus-Cheek for the last two attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Referees have gotten a lot worse since VAR came into the game they are letting it being there second guess them and it's become a comfort blanket to them.

Some ball from Pogba

Cracker

Lovely goal but they gave him all the time in the world.

• Cavani has been an exceptable purchase by Utd
    Such work rate too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cavani has been an exceptable purchase by Utd
    Such work rate too

Is he not on loan? Thought I read the other day United are trying to get him for a second season or something?

United really are on a incredible away run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Is he not on loan? Thought I read the other day United are trying to get him for a second season or something?

Signed on a free last summer, thought it was a 2 year contract.

• Signed on a free last summer, thought it was a 2 year contract.

Like literally top of the google search results

TitianGerm wrote: »

No he was a free agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

This is the first time I've watched Fulham in a full game this season, they look a decent outfit but are 18th, is this performance an anomaly?

This is the first time I've watched Fulham in a full game this season, they look a decent outfit but are 18th, is this performance an anomaly?

They have drawn 5 of 6 prior to this game. They have improved and are fighting but not accumulating the points.

Are they giving out a trophy now for POTYSF ?

Jenas hadn’t a notion. Best player on the pitch is Pogba.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Jenas hadn’t a notion. Best player on the pitch is Pogba.

He's absolutely full of rubbish most of the time.

• Advertisement

• Utd back to the top of the league

Glorious result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Utd back to the top of the league

#GreatNews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Good result tonight happy with that, now to go look for my Burnley jersey in the wash.

United have a great run of fixtures coming now they might just do it this season

Are they giving out a trophy now for POTYSF ?

player of the year X X?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

A lot has been made of City's handy run of games but running alongside that United have Sheffield (H), Arsenal (A) and Southampton (H).

You're then into City's champions League run while United will likely be able to rest players for the Europa League. I think this is likely to be an extremely close run thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'd give VAR POTY myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

thelad95 wrote: »
    A lot has been made of City's handy run of games but running alongside that United have Sheffield (H), Arsenal (A) and Southampton (H).

You're then into City's champions League run while United will likely be able to rest players for the Europa League. I think this is likely to be an extremely close run thing.

Not sure I’d count Arsenal and Southampton as handy. Granted they are capable of being crap but can also be pretty good on their day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

brinty wrote: »
    I'd give VAR POTY myself

Pen a close second with Bruno 3rd :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

credit where it is due Man Utd have came from behind so many times this season.

Dont see them winning it but it is what champions do.

watching the highlights here. still cant see how that 1st city goal stood. if they are the rules, then those rules need changing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭jacool

watching the highlights here. still cant see how that 1st city goal stood. if they are the rules, then those rules need changing
    The referee's union said
    ""You see Rodri in an offside position, clearly – being in an offside position isn't an offence – but once Mings starts to take control of the ball, he's judged to have taken ownership of that situation and therefore, once the ball has been chested by Mings, Rodri can challenge him. That's how the law is set up. It seems very unpalatable to everybody. Unfortunately, as that is how the law is set up, that's how it is."

cant see how you can have the argument that a player deliberately players the ball while not being affected by another in an offside position, while that same offside player is bearing down on the defender

i'm confused

player of the year X X?

So far.

jacool wrote: »
    The referee's union said
    ""You see Rodri in an offside position, clearly – being in an offside position isn't an offence – but once Mings starts to take control of the ball, he's judged to have taken ownership of that situation and therefore, once the ball has been chested by Mings, Rodri can challenge him. That's how the law is set up. It seems very unpalatable to everybody. Unfortunately, as that is how the law is set up, that's how it is."

but the player playing the ball (mings) cannot be affected by the player coming back from the offside position.

which mings clearly was. if no player behind mings, does he do that, or let the ball go?

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Good result tonight happy with that, now to go look for my Burnley jersey in the wash.

So...we've lost a neutral? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If both players were in the box,say Mings around the penalty spot and Rhodri in the 6 yard box would it be offside? Could this mean strikers will stay in an offside position in the box hoping to pounce on a mistake by a defender?

So far.

well that would be kane so far IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

jacool wrote: »
    The referee's union said

It is a ridiculous law....in fairness though I am surprised that players are not kept up to speed with the laws by their Clubs,as it affects their livelihood .......and these lads arent playing for buttons.

Fair enough if a Sunday League lad isnt up to speed with all laws and law changes but Pros should be up to speed with things.

It is a ridiculous law....in fairness though I am surprised that players are not kept up to speed with the laws by their Clubs,as it affects their livelihood .......and these lads arent playing for buttons.

Fair enough if a Sunday League lad isnt up to speed with all laws and law changes but Pros should be up to speed with things.

but thats not the law. the player coming back onside cannot affect the opposing player that plays the ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement