Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 [Mod notes in OP - Updated 29.01.21]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s been clear for a while now that Lampard is not the man for Chelsea. The club spent big in the summer when few others could, so there was always going to be pressure.

But halfway into the season and it still looks like Lampard still has no idea how to use his new players, so he’s trying to shoehorn them into a style they’re unfamiliar with and will publicly criticise them when it doesn’t work, like Kepa last season.

Will be shocked if he lasts until May.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Frank isn't a particularly good manager. They fell over the line last year. Even with a transfer ban, they hardly had a poor squad.

He's marginalised a few players, he has hung players out all too often, he can't organise a defence, he keeps changing the midfield all too often. He bought one of the most prolific strikers in the world for 3 years and stuck him on the wing to accommodate a solid but no more Tammy abraham.

He has a job on his name and no more.

Rodgers is a former chelsea coach and a careerist. I could see him thinking he could do a job there if he was promised the kind of backing frank has got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭adaminho

Trigger wrote: »
    He really can't set his teams up defensively so I don't even think a lower half team would be a good place for him as you really need a good defensive set up down there

Most people know that! I can see him getting another fairly good job in the future (West Ham/Fulham, Mid Championship. After that he'll have to stand on his own two feet or more than likely end up with cousin Jamie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I certainly hope Rodgers doesnt consider leaving Leicester for Chelsea - Leicester have a great team, better than the one that one the league - owners seam to support him, if Leicester won the league it would another wonderful achievement , unlike just buying a league at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭doc_17

jayo26 wrote: »
    Did i say klopp should be under pressure? Or are you just getting giddy?

Eitherway i never said said kopp was doing a good or bad Job you're the one that commented on how they were playing this season i just pointed it out to you that they aint any worse then they have been for most of the previous seasons apart from the last two seasons and a season here or there.

People are focusing on a young manager finding his feet in management because they have had a few dodgey results but he is only 5 points off liverpool in 4th.

You were attempting some sort of false equivalence between Lampard and the best manager in the league? Chelsea are muck because of Frank. Liverpool were top last week. Lampard had a nice run of fixtures against middling teams and kept some clean sheets. Aside from that they’ve been poor this season. 29 points at halfway won’t keep them on track for CL.
    Sarri got the bullet for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

thebaz wrote: »
    I certainly hope Rodgers doesnt consider leaving Leicester for Chelsea - Leicester have a great team, better than the one that one the league - owners seam to support him, if Leicester won the league it would another wonderful achievement , unlike just buying a league at Chelsea.

Rodgers would be crazy to turn down the Chelsea job. I don't think he would be on Roman's radar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

adaminho wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to see where Lampard would turn up yet as manager if he did get sacked! West Ham would be obvious if Moyes ever left but where else? A lot of Utd would never give Ole another Job in the premiership! Is he destined to be another Mark Hughes/Steve Bruce/ Alan Pardew? Knocking around the lower half teams?

Ha no hope he would ever be the West Ham manager, West ham fans hate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭irelandrover

doc_17 wrote: »
    You were attempting some sort of false equivalence between Lampard and the best manager in the league? Chelsea are muck because of Frank. Liverpool were top last week. Lampard had a nice run of fixtures against middling teams and kept some clean sheets. Aside from that they’ve been poor this season. 29 points at halfway won’t keep them on track for CL.
    Sarri got the bullet for less.

I honestly read it as he was comparing Lampards Chelsea to the best team in the league. Chelsea are apparently doing terrible but they are only 5 points off Liverpool.

More using Liverpool as the benchmark of a good team rather than any slight against Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

You were attempting some sort of false equivalence between Lampard and the best manager in the league?

I never once mentioned Pep

I honestly read it as he was comparing Lampards Chelsea to the best team in the league. Chelsea are apparently doing terrible but they are only 5 points off Liverpool.

More using Liverpool as the benchmark of a good team rather than any slight against Liverpool.

Exactly this and fair play to you for pointing it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Arghus wrote: »
    Pretty funny how Redknapp just can't blame the manager on Sky.

It's the players fault etc, etc.

isn't he related to Lampard, if not their famillies are pretty close? You're never going to get an unbiased view in that situation.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    isn't he related to Lampard, if not their famillies are pretty close? You're never going to get an unbiased view in that situation.

Cousins aint it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

First cousin innit.

But Chelsea are doing terrible, as are Liverpool. But Klopp has lots of credit built up after a decade of competing at a very high level and a track record of success. The two mangers shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath! If I misunderstood, because I was giddy (whatever that means), then ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They're currently 5 behind Liverpool, but by 10pm on Thursday they could be 8 points behind Liverpool and the CL places.

We're talking about a team that spent £220m last summer. They should be top of this league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

We're talking about a team that spent £220m last summer. They should be top of this league.

Money doesn’t always equal immediate success in this league tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

2 wins in 8 since playing Leeds. Have Chelsea burned out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

If Lampard's only goal is to stay within 5 points of Liverpool come seasons end then I think he'll there or thereabouts & ultimately be OK.

However, I think Roman Abramovich has a little more sense than that & won't be satisfied with said ambitions.

If the benchmark is Liverpool at this stage last season, 13 points clear, then fair enough.

However, I don't think £220 odd million was spent to be using a team that are significantly weakened for most of the season due to injuries & 18 points worse off than this stage last season as a benchmark.

Using Liverpool purely as your benchmark, particularly with the way this season is going for them, is a dangerous game to play imo.

By that logic Liverpool could be 17th on 16 points & Chelsea could be 19th on 11 points but it's fine, because they'd be only 5 points off Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Werner has been a big disappointment so far but the biggest signing, Havertz, has been basically anonymous.

What are Chelsea fans take on him?

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Werner has been a big disappointment so far but the biggest signing, Havertz, has been basically anonymous.

Didn’t he have that “long” COVID? Seems to have really affected him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Didn’t he have that “long” COVID? Seems to have really affected him.

He had Covid and was symptomatic, in bed etc.

But he says he has fully recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair to Havertz, he is only 21 and has moved to a new league and a new country. That can affect young lads at the best of times, let alone in the middle of a pandemic where typical moving home exercises cannot be undertaken. Did his family move with him? Does he speak the language yet etc. And then add in having COIVD on top of that, and the after affects that that brings.

And also the Lampard factor where Lampard might not actually know how the bring the best out of him, or even his best position. A struggling manager can find it difficult to develop a younger player, or even how to handle him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,815 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's hard to judge any players on this season, especially ones who moved country in the middle of an pandemic and are young,
    There's no chance for team building or meeting your team mates out side of trying to build bonds and so on ,
    No fans or atmosphere's in stadiums to push you on ,

Life is absolutely mental for everyone and id imagine a lot of footballer like people are just in the "get through this" mode,
    I reckon football will only kick back into life when fans are back ,

Across Europe all lot of top teams seem to be struggling , Liverpool , City , Juventus , Barcelona even PSG have challengers this year ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,352 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

JPA wrote: »

Play him behind Werner up front or as a false 9. It's simple enough. He's shown he can be great in those roles or even as a wide forward. Lampard has done an awful job this season at incorporating both of them and it should have already cost him his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Liam O wrote: »
    Play him behind Werner up front or as a false 9. It's simple enough. He's shown he can be great in those roles or even as a wide forward. Lampard has done an awful job this season at incorporating both of them and it should have already cost him his job.

It's not quite that simple though. Players can take time to adjust particularly in a new country. Look at Ndombele at Spurs...no matter where he was played last year, he wasn't at it. You watch him in the documentary and you see a young man in a new country, at a new club struggling with the language and culture.

I'm still apprehensive about travelling places where I don't know the language and I'm in my 40s and have travelled a lot of the world. For a young lad who has been probably moddycoddled for years and now has to live and work somewhere completely different, it must be a bit scary and that can impact their performance on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liam O wrote: »

If Chelsea got a good manager they'd be lethal going forward.

Werner
    Pulusic, Havertz, Ziyech
    Kante, Kovacic/Jorghino

Get a DM to play beside Kante and it's an excellent midfield and attack.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Rodgers would be crazy to turn down the Chelsea job. I don't think he would be on Roman's radar though.

I think he would be crazy to take the Chelsea - as I said far bigger achievement winning league with Leicester, the squad and team at Leicester seam way better , I guess he could try and buy at it at Chelsea , but where City and others are , think he would be much better staying at Leicester and have equal chance of success, that would be much higher respected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think he would be crazy to take the Chelsea - as I said far bigger achievement winning league with Leicester, the squad and team at Leicester seam way better , I guess he could try and buy at it at Chelsea , but where City and others are , think he would be much better staying at Leicester and have equal chance of success, that would be much higher respected.

But it's not an equal chance of success? It would be a much higher chance of success if he went to Chelsea.

Absolutely agree that it's a much bigger achievement if he did win it with Leicester but I wouldn't say they both have equal chance given the resources etc.

Tbh I think Leicester will still be in a battle for 4th come end of Season.

But it's not an equal chance of success? It would be a much higher chance of success if he went to Chelsea.

I would say the gap between City and Chelsea is massive , what he has going at Leicseter is possibly closer , and way less pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,352 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would say the gap between City and Chelsea is massive , what he has going at Leicseter is possibly closer , and way less pressure

In terms of personnel it's probably not that far at this stage. It's the setup and one manager getting more out of his expensively assembled squad that's different between City and Chelsea at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Absolutely agree that it's a much bigger achievement if he did win it with Leicester but I wouldn't say they both have equal chance given the resources etc.

Tbh I think Leicester will still be in a battle for 4th come end of Season.

How do you define success? I'd say its different things to different teams/clubs, for instance are 19 teams in the EPL a failure each year?

Agian, Leicester finishing in top 4 again this year would be a success. Chelsea finishing 4th given the amount spent over many years on transfers and youth talent could be seen as a failure.

Brendan is doing OK, very well in fact. Needs to close out the second half of the season strongly, all the way to the finish line though. We've been here before with him and his teams have fallen away.

How do you define success?

Well considering the conversation I was referring to winning the league. You don't go to Chelsea and hope to get top 4. You go to win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Anyone listening to SSN bit on Lampard...it's laughable the mental gymnastics to justify the position that lamps is the best man for them...he has the worst points average, his taken them backwards in his 18 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think Rodgers would be mad to go right now while he's doing so well at Leicester. He's at a club with a very good team and everyone looks to be on the same page as to how they move the club forward.

At Chelsea, it looks like there's a complete disconnect between the footballing operations side and the coaching side. The manager is basically given players the club wants and then is asked to make them work. Werner is case in point: why would you buy him and then complain when you've essentially asked him to play a different role in a team that plays a different way?

So while you'll have a bigger budget a Chelsea, it will ultimately be up to the club what players you'll get, so you'll have the pressure of competing for a league with a team you might not want and could be written off as a failure by fans who will only compare you to how much money has been invested in the team.

Rodgers has done very well at Celtic and now Leicester, and is still young in managerial terms. There will be plenty more suited opportunities you'd imagine should he continue to do well.

I think only managers with a proven track record should look at Chelsea, onces where if it doesn't work it won't affect their reputation too much. I don't think Lampard is a good manager but he took that move far too early in his career. After Chelsea the only way is down, and he'll have to prove himself all over again if he wants to go for another top job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,815 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McFly85 wrote: »
    I think Rodgers would be mad to go right now while he's doing so well at Leicester. He's at a club with a very good team and everyone looks to be on the same page as to how they move the club forward.

At Chelsea, it looks like there's a complete disconnect between the footballing operations side and the coaching side. The manager is basically given players the club wants and then is asked to make them work. Werner is case in point: why would you buy him and then complain when you've essentially asked him to play a different role in a team that plays a different way?

So while you'll have a bigger budget a Chelsea, it will ultimately be up to the club what players you'll get, so you'll have the pressure of competing for a league with a team you might not want and could be written off as a failure by fans who will only compare you to how much money has been invested in the team.

Rodgers has done very well at Celtic and now Leicester, and is still young in managerial terms. There will be plenty more suited opportunities you'd imagine should he continue to do well.

I think only managers with a proven track record should look at Chelsea, onces where if it doesn't work it won't affect their reputation too much. I don't think Lampard is a good manager but he took that move far too early in his career. After Chelsea the only way is down, and he'll have to prove himself all over again if he wants to go for another top job.

Leicester are a brilliantly run club and its a great job Rodgers is doing but lets not kid ourselves there is only 3 bigger jobs than Chelsea in England ,

Liverpool - he's done it
    United - he manged Liverpool so nope
    City - Always likely to go for Europe best mangers

I honestly don't think he gets a better job than Chelsea and can't see how he could refuse it ,

If it goes bad people will say it happens at Chelsea he will get another top 10 job no problem ,

If it goes ok he gets mange in the champions league & probably win a domestic cup

If it goes well he probably win a league or Champions league

I honestly can't see how he refuses it ,

Maybe you could argue the Arsenal job would be better fit for Rodgers but by the time they get rid of Arteta who know where Rodgers stock will be ,

Maybe you could argue the Arsenal job would be better fit for Rodgers but by the time they get rid of Arteta who know where Rodgers stock will be ,

I don't know why this gave me visions of Rodgers absolutely boxing the head off Aubameyang shouting '' Vardy wouldn't miss these chances''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Saturday 30 January
    12:30 Everton v Newcastle (BT Sport)
    15:00 Crystal Palace v Wolves (Sky Sports)
    15:00 Man City v Sheff Utd (Sky Sports)
    15:00 West Brom v Fulham (BBC)
    17:30 Arsenal v Man Utd (Sky Sports)
    20:00 Southampton v Aston Villa (Sky Sports)

Sunday 31 January
    12:00 Chelsea v Burnley (BT Sport)
    14:00 Leicester v Leeds (Sky Sports)
    16:30 West Ham v Liverpool (Sky Sports)
    19:15 Brighton v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Tuesday 2 February
    18:00 Sheffield Utd v West Brom (BT Sport)
    18:00 Wolves v Arsenal (BT Sport)
    20:15 Man Utd v Southampton (BT Sport)
    20:15 Newcastle v Crystal Palace (BT Sport)

Wednesday 3 February
    18:00 Burnley v Man City (BT Sport)
    18:00 Fulham v Leicester (BT Sport)
    19:30 Leeds v Everton (BT Sport)
    20:15 Aston Villa v West Ham (BT Sport)
    20:15 Liverpool v Brighton (BT Sport)

Thursday 4 February
    20:00 Spurs v Chelsea (BT Sport)

Saturday 6 February
    12:30 Aston Villa v Arsenal (BT Sport)
    17:30 Fulham v West Ham (Sky Sports)

Sunday 7 February
    14:00 Wolves v Leicester (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Liverpool v Man City (Sky Sports)

Monday 8 February
    20:00 Man Utd v Everton (Sky Sports)
    *Subject to FA Cup participation

Saturday 13 February
    12:30 Leicester v Liverpool (BT Sport)
    17:30 Man City v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Sunday 14 February
    16:30 Arsenal v Leeds (Sky Sports)

Monday 15 February
    20:00 Chelsea v Newcastle (Sky Sports)

Saturday 20 February
    12:30 Southampton v Chelsea (BT Sport)
    17:30 Liverpool v Everton (Sky Sports)

Sunday 21 February
    14:00 Aston Villa v Leicester (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Arsenal v Man City (Sky Sports)
    19:00 Man Utd v Newcastle (BT Sport)

Monday 22 February
    20:00 Brighton v Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)

Saturday 27 February
    12:30 Man City v West Ham (BT Sport)
    17:30 Leeds v Aston Villa (Sky Sports)

Sunday 28 February
    14:00 Spurs v Burnley (Sky Sports)
    16:30 Chelsea v Man Utd (Sky Sports)

Monday 1 March
    20:00 Everton v Southampton (Sky Sports)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If Rodgers gets the Chelsea job I hope he's refined his "I have three envelopes in my hand" speech.
    You lose the Chelsea dressing room fast but he could set a record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Rodgers gets the Chelsea job I hope he's refined his "I have three envelopes in my hand" speech.

From what I've seen of him lately, he has really matured and cut out the cringey stupid talk and showing what we all knew what a brilliant coach he is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I could have sworn that was David Brent in The Office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

How is this match still 0-0. City especially look like scoring every minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

This is a great game for a 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Commentator thinking it was Gundogan for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

twas coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Dean Smith gets red for giving lip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mings seems to think he’s better than he is and it usually gets him in trouble. Just clear it mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Mings seems to think he’s better than he is and it usually gets him in trouble. Just clear it mate.

A big error leading to a goal again. He's done that a couple of times this season. Against Man Utd too off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

dean smth has a point..silva comes from offside position to challenge mings...when is play allowed. to carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,632 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Who is the commentator on the City game along side the unbearable McManaman

He does alot of the European leagues and one of my favorite commentators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How on earth is that goal allowed to stand?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement