Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 [Mod notes in OP - Updated 29.01.21]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Leicester 2-0 Frank & his boys.

Maddison.

Lovely finish, terrible defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

How does Lampard think he's going to accomplish anything be bringing in frozen out players and expecting them to do anything.

Kanye injured nevermind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    How does Lampard think he's going to accomplish anything be bringing in frozen out players and expecting them to do anything.

Kanye injured nevermind.

The poor guy has a divorce to think about after his failed presidential run, can't be expecting him to play football too

The poor guy has a divorce to think about after his failed presidential run, can't be expecting him to play football too
    2GBSV.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Having redknapp on to critique his first cousin is worse than neville or carragher for united/pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Should be 3-0 there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Leicester well structured here in fairness
    And dangerous on the break
    But Chelsea look dire at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lampard threw the players under a bus a few weeks back I said then he's finished. You can't recover from that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

rob316 wrote: »
    Lampard threw the players under a bus a few weeks back I said then he's finished. You can't recover from that

He used to do that at Derby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Chelsea coasting to a loss here, stroking the ball around defence and midfield playing down the clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Kanye injured nevermind.

Is it nearly a case that they have too much attacking depth. Like he keeps chopping and changing almost for the sake of it hoping something works rather than going with a settled attack that can develop a chemistry together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭doc_17

They signed too many players. Brendan Rodgers will get another shot at a rich club again.

Leicester are a real likeable club. Make a lot of shrewd signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,884 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

doc_17 wrote: »
    They signed too many players. Brendan Rodgers will get another shot at a rich club again.

Back home to Chelsea where is coaching career started.

I think he's playing against his next club. I'd have him top of the list to replace Lampard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,982 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Poor auld Timo - nothing going for him since the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

have they forgotten about the rule where you exit the pitch where you are nearest?

i know they relaxed the enforcement of it last season cos the players got abuse from supporters, but surely that ain't relevant anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Thomas Tuchel is apparently the one lined up to take over. Read that a few times last week.

Fair play to Rodgers, they struggled badly after the restart, but he's gotten them back in good shape for this season after that disappointment. Doing a quietly very impressive job over there.

.G. wrote: »
    Thomas Tuchel is apparently the one lined up to take over. Read that a few times last week.

Not a lot of options out there really besides himself and Allegri. Would think Tuchel is a decent enough fit for this squad though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Crazy to think we talking about sacking Frank lampard and he only 5 points off liverpool.

.G. wrote: »

Tuchel is awful I'm at a loss how he's so highly rated.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not a lot of options out there really besides himself and Allegri. Would think Tuchel is a decent enough fit for this squad though.

Yeah, their approach of sacking and hiring over the years has defo worked as far as the trophy cabinet goes but you eventually run out of top managers you can hire! It's how Frank ended up there in the first place.

Not sure about Tuchel and he didn't come across very well when Liverpool played Dortmund in the Europa that time. Any decent manager is going to get them much better organised but I don't see him winning the big trophies with them ahead of Klopp or Guardiola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fair play to Rodgers, they struggled badly after the restart, but he's gotten them back in good shape for this season after that disappointment. Doing a quietly very impressive job over there.

I wonder do they actually have less points now than they did at this stage last seaaon?

Are they not bringing Avram Grant back as a DOF or something?
    He'll take over til the end of the season whenever lamps is sacked.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Crazy to think we talking about sacking Frank lampard and he only 5 points off liverpool.

That’s what Abramavich does. And just to clarify, 5 points off a Liverpool team playing their worst football in years.

It's what he's doing though... or rather, what he's not doing. Seems like hot on the heels of mega signing Kepa losing absolutely all confidence the same is happening with new mega signings Werner and Havertz. The second those deals were done, a big part of Franks job became making them work. And he just hasn't. Just looking at the teamsheets over a run of games tells you a lot - different attacking lineups from game to game, and we've no idea which one works.

They play alright on the transition into midfield, but when you watch their forwards as the ball is moved from the halfway line forward, they all just run in straight lines, sort of just hoping for something to happen. There's no pattern of play - like Werner cutting in, Chilwell overlapping wide, and Giroud dropping back to pull a defender out of Werner's space. Just random easy stuff like that to give you a passing option - we never really see it with Chelsea. There doesn't look like much of a plan when they're driving forward. They do alright when they can camp out around a box, or if the defence makes a mistake that lets them in, but when they have to do something in regular play it's all very staid.

Maddison sounds like a 35yo player-manager

retalivity wrote: »
    Are they not bringing Avram Grant back as a DOF or something?
    He'll take over til the end of the season whenever lamps is sacked.

That's what I read. Grant til summer then Tuchel cos Tommy wants a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Leicester are a real likeable club. Make a lot of shrewd signings.

Some brilliant signings, a well ran transfer policy over the years.

Wouldn't be a big fan of the Thai owners business record, but they have ran the club very well since taking over, and the club is on a very solid footing.

Less so Chelsea, Roman spent like it was going out of fashion during the summer, on top of what was a decent squad, but looks like Frank doesn't have a Scooby Doo what to do with the players he has.

Of course he gets an easy run in the English media, but that's by the by, was promoted past his capabilities, what could he do, he could hardly turn the job down when it came to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Fair play to Rodgers, hes brought in some top class talent. I really rate him as a manager. He did a phenomenal job at Celtic,look at Lennon now. He came very close with Liverpool.

Leicester are looking very good and Vardy must seems to be getting quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

maddison does a way better interview than AWB :eek:

one of the more articulate and interesting interviews i've heard in a while

Some brilliant signings, a well ran transfer policy over the years.

Wouldn't be a big fan of the Thai owners business record, but they have ran the club very well since taking over, and the club is on a very solid footing.

Less so Chelsea, Roman spent like it was going out of fashion during the summer, on top of what was a decent squad, but looks like Frank doesn't have a Scooby Doo what to do with the players he has.

Of course he gets an easy run in the English media, but that's by the by, was promoted past his capabilities, what could he do, he could hardly turn the job down when it came to him.

Linked with a big money move for Haaland in the summer too. Just what they need, another forward!

Think Roman is buying the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,229 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Forfana was excellent again tonight for Leicester.

That’s what Abramavich does. And just to clarify, 5 points off a Liverpool team playing their worst football in years.

Not many years to be fair liverpool were on same number of points after same number of games 3 years ago too and even less points year before that so you could say maybe the last two years were an Indian summer for klopp and liverpool.

Either way its just amusing that all the pressure is on lampard when he so close to someone like liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Forfana was excellent again tonight for Leicester.

He’ll be at one of the Manchester clubs within 2 years

Allegri would be like Conte! Solid, maybe win you a league or cup but ultimately not exciting enough. I'd go for someone like Ten Hag!

Not many years to be fair liverpool were on same number of points after same number of games 3 years ago too and even less points year before that so you could say maybe the last two years were an Indian summer for klopp and liverpool.

Either way its just amusing that all the pressure is on lampard when he so close to someone like liverpool.

I suppose you need it spelling out...Klopp is under no pressure because he’s won the PL and CL in the last 18 months. Frank failed to get Derby promoted in only job to date and had spent the GDP of a small country buying some of the most in-demand footballers in the world.

But yeah, Klopp’s the manager we should be focussing on? Go to bed young man!

Lampard throwing them even further under the bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Pretty funny how Redknapp just can't blame the manager on Sky.

It's the players fault etc, etc.

I suppose you need it spelling out...Klopp is under no pressure because he’s won the PL and CL in the last 18 months. Frank failed to get Derby promoted in only job to date and had spent the GDP of a small country buying some of the most in-demand footballers in the world.

Did i say klopp should be under pressure? Or are you just getting giddy?

Eitherway i never said said kopp was doing a good or bad Job you're the one that commented on how they were playing this season i just pointed it out to you that they aint any worse then they have been for most of the previous seasons apart from the last two seasons and a season here or there.

People are focusing on a young manager finding his feet in management because they have had a few dodgey results but he is only 5 points off liverpool in 4th.

Eitherway i never said said kopp was doing a good or bad Job you're the one that commented on how they were playing this season i just pointed it out to you that they aint any worse then they have been for most of the previous seasons apart from the last two seasons and a season here or there.

People are focusing on a young manager finding his feet in management because they have had a few dodgey results but he is only 5 points off liverpool in 4th.

That was an excuse last season, but when he was given a league-challenging team that he's utterly failed to make cohesive, that stopped being an excuse and became a burden. The simple reality is as soon as that money was spent, the expectations went way up, and he's not looked close to meeting them. He's made very good, very expensive players look worse after working with them. That's why his job is in trouble.

If you've got a very expensively assembled squad, the last thing you want is a young manager that looks like he's still finding his feet in management. It's the obvious area to look at for immediate improvement.

That was an excuse last season, but when he was given a league-challenging team that he's utterly failed to make cohesive, that stopped being an excuse and became a burden. The simple reality is as soon as that money was spent, the expectations went way up, and he's not looked close to meeting them. He's made very good, very expensive players look worse after working with them. That's why his job is in trouble.

If you've got a very expensively assembled squad, the last thing you want is a young manager that looks like he's still finding his feet in management. It's the obvious area to look at for immediate improvement.

Get ya and thats a fair assessment mate and its your opinion well put accross.

I just think it seems a bit too quick to be pulling the trigger on him it could a dip on form he was been lauded a few weeks ago by pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mod: please put your point across without taking pops at posters, its not needed, nor wanted here

That's a point to everyone, attack the post, not the poster

Arghus wrote: »
    Pretty funny how Redknapp just can't blame the manager on Sky.

It's the players fault etc, etc.

Saint Frank can do no wrong in the eyes of Sky or the English media.

Jamie Redknapp is his cousin so at least he has a little bit of an excuse for being afraid to criticise him.

• Advertisement

Get ya and thats a fair assessment mate and its your opinion well put accross.

I just think it seems a bit too quick to be pulling the trigger on him it could a dip on form he was been lauded a few weeks ago by pundits.

I know what you mean - in rational terms, it's quite soon to let someone go. But he's very unfortunate that the job has changed around him. He was brought into a young squad with a transfer ban and the job of steadying the ship under low expectations. And he was a decent enough appointment for that.

But once Roman et al saw the opportunity that Covid provided, in letting them get big players they couldn't have otherwise signed, the job suddenly became one that you would never ever have hired Frank for. It's like the Steve Bruce thing at Newcastle - the word was that if the Saudi's took over he'd be out immediately, because while he was alright for what Newcastle were, he was woeful for what they aspired to be.

Frank suited the Chelsea that hired him, but not the Chelsea he finds himself in now. I don't even think he needs to fail to lose his job necessarily - I think anything other than surpassing all expectations of him would be enough to confirm they need a serious experienced guy. It's just a question of if its now or later... if he picks things up a bit, he'll see out the season. But I think it'll take something special to see him there next season.

Scott Parker has a better managerial CV than Frank Lampard.

Scott could what Frank couldn't in getting promoted to the Premier League via the Championship play-offs.

It's an awful pity for Scott he wasn't a better player or more of a Chelsea legend as there'd be a nice job there for him with hundreds of millions at his disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well you do keep mentioning Klopp & Liverpool whike the topic of Lampard is being discussed. What relevance does it have? Klopp has a lot of credit in his managerial bank, Lampard does not.

At the moment, the only thing that Lampard seems to have on his side is that he is an ex Chelsea player and club legend. If he was any other manager right now, the fans would be a lot more public in turning on him. Maybe the lack of fans is actually helping him. The A4 poster brigade that have attended Stamford Bridge in recent season would have those signs out by now!

The defence is not getting any better and the set piece issue is still there. Maddison spoke tonight about targeting this weakness. The very expensive attacking players are not scoring or creating big chances. There is no consistency in selection or players gelling. The issue of not beating teams in the top half of the table is still persisting. There is a lot of problems at Chelsea currently and Lampard is running out of time.

Lampard is speaking about the pressure publicly and has publicly questioned his players, these don't give me the impression of confidence tbh.

It'd be interesting to see where Lampard would turn up yet as manager if he did get sacked! West Ham would be obvious if Moyes ever left but where else? A lot of Utd would never give Ole another Job in the premiership! Is he destined to be another Mark Hughes/Steve Bruce/ Alan Pardew? Knocking around the lower half teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

adaminho wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to see where Lampard would turn up yet as manager if he did get sacked! West Ham would be obvious if Moyes ever left but where else? A lot of Utd would never give Ole another Job in the premiership! Is he destined to be another Mark Hughes/Steve Bruce/ Alan Pardew? Knocking around the lower half teams?

He really can't set his teams up defensively so I don't even think a lower half team would be a good place for him as you really need a good defensive set up down there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement