Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zgemma H7s Crash

Options
  • 15-01-2021 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi folks, I tried to update my h7s and something went wrong. No matter what image I try, the box just hangs on "boot" and I can not return to original, if dated, image. I have tried different usb sticks.
    The box has an internal hard drive, but I can not see in on my PC. Any way of getting back to factory reset or anything?
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

daphil wrote: »
    Hi folks, I tried to update my h7s and something went wrong. No matter what image I try, the box just hangs on "boot" and I can not return to original, if dated, image. I have tried different usb sticks.
    The box has an internal hard drive, but I can not see in on my PC. Any way of getting back to factory reset or anything?
    Dave

Happened to me a good while ago I think this is where I got the info to fix it. Good luck.
    https://www.techkings.org/threads/h7s-stuck-on-boot.161297/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Sorry for asking the obvious you probably know the procedure, but just to rule it out.

You're using the USB port at the back? FAT32 file system? And you're holding the front power/stand-by button while powering on and then release it after say 5 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Sorry for asking the obvious you probably know the procedure, but just to rule it out.

You're using the USB port at the back? FAT32 file system? And you're holding the front power/stand-by button while powering on and then release it after say 5 seconds?

Yes, not sure what happened, maybe loader got corrupted,
    Thanks.

pauleoin wrote: »
    Happened to me a good while ago I think this is where I got the info to fix it. Good luck.
    https://www.techkings.org/threads/h7s-stuck-on-boot.161297/

Great stuff pauleoin, just got back up and running. Just need to rebuild things carefully.
    many thanks to all,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

Hi,

I got the same problem but it seems my USB disk is never recognised. I never see FLASH on the LED display and it boots but gets stuck after displaying initial logo.

I can connectw with SSH though. And I made a full backup a few weeks ago. Is there a way to flash back a full backup without using the GUI via SSH?

And just to be sure: do you use the recovery zip or the 'normal' zip/

Thanks

• Advertisement

Just as an addition, I tried 3 different keys, 2 of them micro SD cards in a USB converter and one normal USB albeit 128Gb. All formatted to FAT32
    The root directory is called /zgemma

I am thinking of running to Currys to buy some small USB keys but it might not solve the problem. I wish there was a list of USB keys that work.

I just followed pauleoin's links.
    The file mentioned is a "recovery_emmc.zip", so not exactly an image file. Extract to usb.
    The same usb, that was not recognised with an image file, was instantly recognised and it recovered. Instead of "Flsh", it shows "Rcuvy".
    best of luck.

OK 4th USB + recovery worked :)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Only did it last week. Updated my h2s to lates openatv.

Have used a cheapy 32GB stick. Format is MS-DOS(FAT32) with MBR. Thats what is it says in disk utility (mac).

Structure is

/zgemma/h3
    imageversion
    kernel.bin
    no force
    roots.bin
    splash.bin

should be the same for backup image

Into a back USB slot. Hold front power button. Power on at the back. When it says USB release the button then it says FLSH. Done

Thanks for that, I didn't know about the backup procedure being the same. But I used DreamBoxEdit and had my channels back in 15 min
    I didn't put an MBR on it and it seemed to work anyway (using gparted Linux)

• Advertisement
Advertisement