Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky signal keeps cutting out

• 02-01-2021 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Recently upgraded to a Sky Q Box and have had nothing but problems from their "service".

Got to the point last night where the signal cut out four times in one and a half episodes of a 45-minute show (Damnation in case you're interested).

Have tried all the fixes Sky Ireland recommends on its homepage and the various resets and HDMI steps suggested via the Q-box itself. They work for a while and then the service goes offline again

FWIW, my router is not in the same room as the TV and Q-Box. As I cannot move the router (no phone connection in the living room, am wondering if getting and installing a wifi mesh relay system might resolve the problem.

Several earlier threads re other problems with Sky were answered by a company rep who recommended PMing Sky Reps. Unfortunately, that service seems to have stopped in April.

Anyone had similar problems and managed to fix them? If the above repeats other threads here, please provide a link to the relevant threads and I'll close off this thread after bumping them up the board.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Alex Sky Doctor

"The signal cut out four times" - Sky TV signal does not depend on BB ("my router is not in the same room as the TV and Q-Box"), so you should not experience any cuts out as soon as the installation was accomplished right. Only Demand, Catch Up and Watch from Start etc required Broadband.

Intermittent signal problems usually caused by loose dish/connectors. But also might be a faulty Q box that overheats (HD friction of so).

Would you describe in more details how exactly the cut out looks like and did signal returned itself ("signal cut out four times")?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭hkjohn

Thanks for the detailed response.

FWIW, the problem was frequent wifi cut outs, each of which resulted in streaming shows off Amazon or Netflx grinding to a halt and necessitated a trip to reset and WPS hold in the room where our Sky router is kept. An insignificant problem compared to the horrors many of us are suffering during this awful pandemic, I know, but maddening when you want to escape the doom, gloom and rising COVID figures for a few hours,

Finally managed to speak to someone in Sky customer service on Sun - early morning best time to get someone. He told me that Sky would send me a booster that should resolve the problem, so fingers crossed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Alex Sky Doctor

Yes, this is what they usually say in every occasion of WiFi failure. Modern router should cover standard 3-4 bed house without any boosters unless you have solid concrete walls etc. Some issues occur with few network providers (Eircom or Vodafone as example). In this instance I would bypass the router with the booster to “create” Sky network. In general, Sky likes Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭hkjohn

Whil the wifi is still patchy of an evening, the new booster seems to have cut out most of the streaming failures, thank god. Long may that state of affairs continue!

Advertisement