Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio 1 RDS

Options
  • 16-07-2019 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I remember back in the late 90s up until about the mid-2000s that RTE Radio 1 and BBC Radio 1 both had the same RDS PS name - "RADIO 1". And then RTE changed to "RTE R1". Would this have caused any confusion with radios at the time, such as switching you between BBC and RTE randomly because they had the same name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I remember back in the late 90s up until about the mid-2000s that RTE Radio 1 and BBC Radio 1 both had the same RDS PS name - "RADIO 1". And then RTE changed to "RTE R1". Would this have caused any confusion with radios at the time, such as switching you between BBC and RTE randomly because they had the same name?

More likely it was changed by RTÉ. As RTÉ was adding RTÉ to its services in the mid-2000s. Since the early 2000s RTÉ has been part of the naming convention.

RTÉ 1 - RTÉ 1
    Network 2 - RTÉ Network 2 - RTÉ2
    The Den - TRTÉ
    Den Tots - RTÉjr
    Radio 1 - RTÉ Radio 1
    2FM - RTÉ 2FM
    Lyric FM - RTÉ Lyric FM
    RnaG - RTÉ RnaG
    NSO - RTÉ NSO
    NCO - RTÉ NCO
    Cor Na nÓg - RTÉ Cor Na nÓg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Antenna

There would have been no issues of radios switching between both stations, even though (at the time) they were displaying the same name. When a RDS car radio automatically retunes it is not the station name BUT a 'hidden' 4 character hex code called a PI code which identifies the station (and the UK and Irish ones are different). A very small number of radios can display the station PI code if you're curious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

apart from this both stations displaying the name 'Radio 1' was I'd imagine (in areas both could easily be received) could cause needless confusion , especially to elderly people.
    I suppose the BBC would have argued that they were first to use the name 'Radio 1' on these islands - since the late 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

It was a ridiculous state of affairs (all the other BBC stations were BBC R 2/3/4/etc while RTE were more of a law onto themselves with that "2FM" nonsense)

On the TV front there were long forgotten teletext identifiers for something called "NET 2" for years after RTE2 went back to using their proper name.

Advertisement