Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Not sure we've had an easier game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭Patser

Esse85 wrote: »
    Not sure we've had an easier game.

Liverpool:pac::pac::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Barkley looking a bit tired now. Understandable. Maybe Ramsey on

Konsa absolutely fantastic in defence, stuck to Wilson and won ball and follow up.

Edit: And again ,this time tidying up yet another casual Mings feck up, losing ball trying tricks

Patser wrote: »
    Konsa absolutely fantastic in defence, stuck to Wilson and won ball and follow up.

He's an absolute Rolls Royce, one of the best defenders in the league.

Targett is quickly becoming one of my favourite villa players, he's been absolutely brilliant this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

That was stupid from Grealish.

Barely any chances created this half.

Time for changes soon please.

Konsa again!

Surely changes are overdue now.

• Advertisement

Surely changes are overdue now.

Absolutely - El Ghazi was in form, surely deserves at least a run out. Ramsey too to continue his developement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Targett is quickly becoming one of my favourite villa players, he's been absolutely brilliant this season.

He's been immense, I hated him last year. Not even for his football but he seemed so soft, would get rattled by challenges constantly but he's a different player this year

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd be annoyed if we didn't win 4-0.

I'm annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Very good, professional performance. Comfortable because defence is good enough to make it so now. Konsa and Cash superb. Could definitely sense the lack of McGinn's urgency in periods of the game, especially second half. Good game to miss though.

Great first half, second half was keep ball.

Watkins, Nakamba, Targett, Konsa were all super tonight.

Grealish was very quiet by his standards, didnt seem to get involved as much as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Delighted with that.

Watkins scores.
    Traore with another lovely goal.
    Nakamba played well and got 90 minutes
    Defence very comfortable with Konsa outstanding.

Newcastle abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Great win.

And we really were only average tonight on how we can play in reality.

Konsa is just top class.

It will be interesting also to see if Barkley gets his spot when Sanson gets adapted to life at VP.

Really its amazing how things have changed in 6 months.

Disappointed how few chances we created in the second half, we could of easily scored 4.

Barkley getting another 80 mins under his belt is a bonus, he's a long way off the pace.

Targett was great, Konsa was like a magnet, he's a joy to watch.
    Nakamba did the simple things fine.
    Mings was Mings.
    Jack has had better games, funny seeing his reaction to being subbed.
    Watkins covered every blade of grass, delighted he got on the score sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭basillarkin

CucaFace wrote: »
    Great win.

And we really were only average tonight on how we can play in reality.

Konsa is just top class.

It will be interesting also to see if Barkley gets his spot when Sanson gets adapted to life at VP.

Really its amazing how things have changed in 6 months.

I got the impression that sanson is a cm and more in the John mcginn mould while barkley is a cam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Really average and sloppy performance but it was so comfortable all the same. Konsa is a superstar.

I think Grealish was bring protected from getting a yellow.
    He had a sneaky incident with Shelvey which he got away with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

For such an intelligent footballer, how is Grealish so thick about the little things? Why is he elbowing shelvey, why is he upset about being taking off with 5 to go and a yellow card away from a ban. Mad man 😂

I got the impression that sanson is a cm and more in the John mcginn mould while barkley is a cam.

Playing him with McGinn can easily open up McGinn to get forward a bit more which could be a great asset to the team.

Would be great to have this option, especially in games where we could do with a better CM type rather then Barkley who can be a bit of luxury against the top teams.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    For such an intelligent footballer, how is Grealish so thick about the little things? Why is he elbowing shelvey, why is he upset about being taking off with 5 to go and a yellow card away from a ban. Mad man 😂

Ego.

Ego.

Without doubt Shelvey has been mouthing and leaving a little on him all night.

• Advertisement

For such an intelligent footballer, how is Grealish so thick about the little things? Why is he elbowing shelvey, why is he upset about being taking off with 5 to go and a yellow card away from a ban. Mad man ��

Chap could burgle my house and I would forgive him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

CSF wrote: »
    Chap could burgle my house and I would forgive him

Oh Jesus yeah. I’d open the door for him and make him a cup of tea. The best player I’ve ever seen play for Villa. An absolute joy.

I love this team right now, we were actually poor enough in the second half but never threatened by Newcastle. Very curious what we'll do in the summer, first 11 is in a great place and hard to see where you would make an obvious improvement if we keep everyone

I love this team right now, we were actually poor enough in the second half but never threatened by Newcastle. Very curious what we'll do in the summer, first 11 is in a great place and hard to see where you would make an obvious improvement if we keep everyone

I suppose we don't know what condition they are all in or if covid had an effect. Coupled with feeling very comfortable in their 2 goal lead.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He probably doesn't fancy Burnley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Emi Martinez distribution of the ball is outstanding

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Emi Martinez distribution of the ball is outstanding

So many combining factors has lead to the big improvement this year.

Konsa has been great in CB, Targett is argueably our most improved player, Luiz has gotten better and better ever since he signed and Martinez behind these guys has made them all better. Cash being signed and making an impact immediately combined to all this has actually made Mings look like the weak link in defence which would have been unthinkable a year back.

A solid base then allows so much more freedom for the forwards and adding the likes of Barkely, Traore & Watkins has taken some of the load off Grealish's shoulders and now players like Sanson/Wes when he returns will actually allow for some options off the bench that can make an impact and mix things up when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So many combining factors has lead to the big improvement this year.

Konsa has been great in CB, Targett is argueably our most improved player, Luiz has gotten better and better ever since he signed and Martinez behind these guys has made them all better. Cash being signed and making an impact immediately combined to all this has actually made Mings look like the weak link in defence which would have been unthinkable a year back.

A solid base then allows so much more freedom for the forwards and adding the likes of Barkely, Traore & Watkins has taken some of the load off Grealish's shoulders and now players like Sanson/Wes when he returns will actually allow for some options off the bench that can make an impact and mix things up when needed.

All we need now is VAR to fk off entirely :P

If we can keep hold of Grealish for a 2/3 more years, who knows how this can all end.

If we can keep hold of Grealish for a 2/3 more years, who knows how this can all end.

I think if we get Europe of any description this league, he would find it difficult to avoid captaining us there.

Just a medical left for Sanson is the word. Everything else is done.

I think if we get Europe of any description this league, he would find it difficult to avoid captaining us there.

I honestly don't think he will leave this summer regardless of where we finish this season as the change in how we play football has been so incredible this year that he will want to see what we could do with another summer transfer market and the hopeful arrival of 3/4 more upgrades to the squad.

Its the summer after that i would be worried.

I honestly don't think he will leave this summer regardless of where we finish this season as the change in how we play football has been so incredible this year that he will want to see what we could do with another summer transfer market and the hopeful arrival of 3/4 more upgrades to the squad.

Same here for me, I mean no matter now ambitious the plans were that the owners told him during contract talks, no way would anyone expected to see such sudden and immediate progress like that.

I'm wondering can we do better than Barkley? He hasn't convinced me yet.
    He can be injury prone, takes him a while then to get back up to speed as he's a big unit.
    He'll cost big money, probably break our transfer record, will be on huge wages, the jury is still out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Same here for me, I mean no matter now ambitious the plans were that the owners told him during contract talks, no way would anyone expected to see such sudden and immediate progress like that.

He can be injury prone, takes him a while then to get back up to speed as he's a big unit.
    He'll cost big money, probably break our transfer record, will be on huge wages, the jury is still out for me.

Barkley will be 35m+ and for me a big no no..too many injuries and takes too long to recover,as much as i like him.

Sanson coming in was a surprise for me,he was a 30m rated player last summer,coverage for barkley? maybe.

Barkley's fitness is the concern, if he can manage to be fit for 90% of the rest of the season I'd snap him up anything less and we've a big decision on our hands depending on what sort of price we're talkign

• Advertisement

Yes im thinking the same. Also he can be very hit and miss. Great against Liverpool and Arsenal, dreadful against Leeds and wasn't really great yesterday either. Like you said price tag will be very big and perhaps not worth it.

I dont think he's consistent enough for the wages he would be on and has been injury prone for years and as they say on dragons den,...for those reasons, im out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

The good thing with Barkley is we can delay any decision until the end of the season. If he has a stellar end to the season and we finish well then walking away becomes more difficult unless Chelsea price us out of a move.

It's interesting that Sanson could be a potential replacement if he gets injured again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sanson deal done, to be announced tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRommm/status/1353409185791303680?s=19

But what if it was City or Real?

We'd have to be getting a good deal for Barkey. Would certainly show ambition though and good friends with Grealish so might keep his eye from wandering.

Panrich wrote: »
    The good thing with Barkley is we can delay any decision until the end of the season. If he has a stellar end to the season and we finish well then walking away becomes more difficult unless Chelsea price us out of a move.

It's interesting that Sanson could be a potential replacement if he gets injured again.

From what I read stats wise of the guy I think we are more looking at Luiz or McGinn for who he will fill in for/replace.

https://twitter.com/pgr_analytics/status/1353308674987601920

This is lovely to see, youngest squad and one of the most dangerous

Do you reckon in 15-20 years time we will be in a similar situation with Grealish as manager to the one Chelsea fans faced today (and seem largely very upset over regardless of their opinion on it)?

• Advertisement

Do you reckon in 15-20 years time we will be in a similar situation with Grealish as manager to the one Chelsea fans faced today (and seem largely very upset over regardless of their opinion on it)?

I'd be stunned if Grealish ever becomes a manager!

Advertisement