Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Irish midfielder Afolayan, not long on for Soucek, scores on debut.

Is he Irish? Can't find anything online about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Is he Irish? Can't find anything online about it
    No, my bad. I had a sneaking suspicion, and just looked it up on the west ham official site; I must be mixing him up with someone else- he's a forward as well :rolleyes:.
    Looks good though. It's a pity Odubeko got Covid; might have been a chance for him instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Is Afolayan Irish? Odubeko is Irish but I thought Afolayan was English.
    Such a pity about Mipo as would have been an excellent game for him to get his debut. You'd expect he's not going to have much of a chance of coming on against Liverpool/Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Is Afolayan Irish? Odubeko is Irish but I thought Afolayan was English.
    Such a pity about Mipo as would have been an excellent game for him to get his debut. You'd expect he's not going to have much of a chance of coming on against Liverpool/Man U.

Odubeko already made his debut in the last round against Stockport but yeah, today would have been ideal for him. Positive Covid test wrecked that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

a win tomorrow night at palace would see the hammers go fourth, temporarily........nose bleed territory

• Advertisement

good stuff so far.....good to see they can over turn an early conceded goal,, lets hope they can not lose it from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Hit the post twice! Playing great stuff

Playing very well indeed but gotta put them away...we all know what to expect if we don't get another.

The problem is if the will rue all these missed chances.

for all the domination and chances, they are only one slip up from dropping 2 points

How did Antonio not put that away......

• Advertisement

Finally the third and I can relax a teeny bit now.....:pac:

Dawson!!! we needed that after all the misses.

I was afraid it would be the man utd game again....dominating, missing chances and paying the full price.

it really could be 7-1

They are going to come at us now for the last 20....

Really should not be losing this now but when its West Ham you don't count your chickens!

still want a fourth, if only to help with goal difference

I'd love to see Zaha at West Ham. I think he would suit us a lot.

It won't happen but just wishful thinking!

We weathered their little storm well there and even if they score now it is too late. Though 6 mins extra means we just have to keep it going for another little bit!

This feels like a very important win for us

Thank god and I was right and it was too late!

all good havoc......
    as for the next game. if we got a win against palace up next, would settle for a home draw against liverpool,would take a point no problem.

will still settle for a point against the miserable scousers.

Typical hammers, for all the domination win by the narrowest margin

Typical hammers, for all the domination win by the narrowest margin

That is not typical hammers. Usually, we only draw...or worse.

Top 4!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Good day hammers and what a good day it is :D

Superb last night once again haven't seen us dominate a game in that way for quite a long time. On another night Antonio would have had a hat trick but its testament to this team and moyes that we arent relying on one player to get us goals.

Can sit back and enjoy liverpool spurs Leicester and everton taking points off each other now for the next 2 nights. Add in 2 extra days rest over liverpool for sunday and it adds to the optimism a little.

COYI

I think we can definitely win on Sunday, especially with our form from set pieces and crosses (Cresswell has been phenomenal on these) given how many issues they have in defence. But we're not going to win if we don't take more chances. We're not keeping a clean sheet. Even if Liverpool don't have the quality to break us down (and that's not guaranteed), they're sure to get the same luck that they always get against us (deflected goal, goalkeeper mistake, awful refereeing decision). Missing chances like we did last night isn't going to be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Great performance last night fair play to Moyes, I really could get used to this. Big thing now is finding a back up striker just in case anything happens Antonio.

Feeling confident about Sunday.

May only be fourth in the league overall, but we're top of the league for hitting the woodwork!!!!!
    https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/hit_woodwork

Also, how good was Benrahma yesterday? I know he's yet to score but he's adapted so well to the Premier League.

Villa with a few games in hand on the hammers miss the chance to close the gap and are beaten
    Chelsea also miss the chance to close the gap after a home draw with wolves

Benrahma completed move, making space for Jesse Linguard as temporary loan. Looks like he might sign tomorrow.

https://talksport.com/football/825604/

Benrahma completed move, making space for Jesse Linguard as temporary loan. Looks like he might sign tomorrow.

https://talksport.com/football/825604/
    Decent player, hasn't done much in a year but 2 years ago he was a key player for England at the WC. Glad its a loan too, he could end up another Jack Wilshire, Jose Fonte so glad we can send him back if he's ****e

Most surprising thing about it is finding out he's 28!

Not 100% happy with the Lingaard loan. Don't really see where he fits in. He's not a backup for Antonio and I can't see him unseating anyone in the first team. At least we can boot him back to Manchester if he's rubbish.
    Also can't believe he's 28. I was sure I heard him being referred to as a "prospect" not too long ago.

Not 100% happy with the Lingaard loan. Don't really see where he fits in. He's not a backup for Antonio and I can't see him unseating anyone in the first team.
    I wouldn't be surprised for all the talk of a back-up striker that Moyes doesn't land one by Monday night. He might be content to have Yarmo as back-up, while slowly introducing Odubeko, knowing he can have more of a choice in attacking midfielders (Lingard being more central). Moyes is very cautious, and mightn't be tempted to push too much for an end-of-season European spot, so might be content to wait for the summer for a striker. If a striker does appear, I think more likely to be a cheap second-fiddle one, rather than one frustrated at not unseating Antonio.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised for all the talk of a back-up striker that Moyes doesn't land one by Monday night. He might be content to have Yarmo as back-up, while slowly introducing Odubeko, knowing he can have more of a choice in attacking midfielders (Lingard being more central). Moyes is very cautious, and mightn't be tempted to push too much for an end-of-season European spot, so might be content to wait for the summer for a striker. If a striker does appear, I think more likely to be a cheap second-fiddle one, rather than one frustrated at not unseating Antonio.
    I'm sure he'd still take a striker if he could find one, but there's feck all out there in modern football. No point in signing someone just to make up numbers and unsettle the squad.

Would love to take a punt on Sima from Prague. Actually, feck it, let's just bid on their entire team given how well Soucek and Coufal have done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It could be possible Moyes is afraid of getting rode as everyone knows we have one striker. I really hope Odubeko works out as Ireland also really need a striker now.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I really hope Odubeko works out as Ireland also really need a striker now.
    Although Mipo was born here, he could still do a Grealish and Rice on it, and declare elsewhere for his senior caps; Nigeria or possibly England, as his parents are Nigerian, and he's lived and played n England for the past 6 years- if Mipo does well at the Hammers, they'll engage the turbos after him:

https://www.the42.ie/mipo-odubeko-5331631-Jan2021/

541414.png

Our new left winger/forward/attacking midfielder/false 9/ injured Antonio replacement. Makes good sense all round I suppose, all things considered. He'll be eager to impress for a return to Man U, or if successful, a permanent stay, though the former more likely. Probably slowly introduced, a la cautious Moyes, but could very well be a great tactical addition.

• Advertisement

So no fit central defenders for Liverpool, no Mané, no Firmino and an unchanged West Ham team that is on 6 wins in a row and enjoying the best ever start to a Premier League season.
    All points to a 3-0 away win.

So no fit central defenders for Liverpool, no Mané, no Firmino and an unchanged West Ham team that is on 6 wins in a row and enjoying the best ever start to a Premier League season.
    All points to a 3-0 away win.
    All 3 goals in first 20 minutes, and still no Odubeko til 87th minute!

would still settle for a point

would still settle for a point
    I think we all would. 'Nuff bubbles burst not to get too ahead of ourselves, but as the song says we can dream. Although a win at this precise moment in time is actually doable.

Antonio should have scored just before they did. What a pity....

• Advertisement

Christ, never a better chance to beat Liverpool and we just roll out the red carpet for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Noble on for Antonio. If ever we needed to sign a striker it's this window

this is the west ham I know so well.

Build you up, let you down, blame myself for even fooling myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

disappointed with that:(

Yeah, disappointing display. The defensiveness smacked of looking for a draw, end of. Backfired totally, especially with a back on form Salah. Showed them way too much respect in the first half. Defeat against Liverpool is hardly out of the blue, but it was frustrating not to see what the Hammers have been capable of this season. Hopefully a better (and currently more standard) display against our more realistic rivals- the Villains- on Wednesday.
    I'd be in two minds about a push for a European spot; we're lucky not to have injuries, and we don't have much strength in depth anyway, so maybe Moyes' tinkering is the right policy for now- but to attract a decent striker in the summer, maybe we need to show some determinate spirit as a statement of intent. Moyes is very cautious, so probably the former.

Good lively game.
    Lingard impressive on debut. Linking up well with Benrahma on left, but Fredericks not doing much in right winger role; Bowen would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Lingard has arrived :D

Saying nothin til the final whistle....

2 goals up, the Hammers are playing really good football ( damn that MIngs' acrobatics). Coufal is everywhere!
    10 minutes left; bring on Mipo!

See what happens when I spoke?::(:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement