Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Q Hybrid LNB no longer available from Sky?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Terpsichorean Master

Had a call with the engineer earlier and he certainly didn't sound like he was going to do what I asked wrt to installing a Hybrid.
    When I asked him if he could install one for me, (just in case he wouldn't have one with him), he said that as there's only one cable going into the house (as it's an ancient original install and pre-HD/SD legacy box), it would "have to be a wideband" - which seems completely contradictory to me, as SkyQ requires at least two cables; so there'll be more than one, whatever happens. No?

Then when I said again that I wanted a Hybrid, he asked me "why"?

So I said that we wanted to be able to use other boxes/freesat etc in the potential likelihood of cancelling the contract or whatever; as without a hybrid that obviously wouldn't be possible - and he told me that the wideband is for Q only and that they only use the hybrid if there are extra cables going into it. Said that if it's only a single cable, then there are no other cables going into it, then they "have to use the wideband for that". That there are two ports on the wideband and that's what they'll be going into.

Then said that there are four ports on the hybrid (thought it was six, no?) - and that they don't use them, if they don't have to.

Which, again, is obviously what Sky would prefer, but not what I'm interested in - for the obvious reasons.

So I said that I understand all of that, but that I'd prefer a hybrid; if he could, that I'd appreciate it - and he said that he'll take a look at it when he comes out and will see what he can do.

Tbh it kind of seemed like a bit of a fob off at the end, but it's hard to tell - he definitely seemed much more generally oppositional to the idea than I would have expected, or than anyone else here has seemingly experienced; so I'd be surprised if he'll just go along with it during the installation, considering the conversation.

Is there something technical that I'm missing here though - because what he's saying wrt to the amount of cables meaning that they can't/won't do it, seems to make no sense to me?
    He could easily still do it, it won't affect the ability of it to work in any way. Or is it just likely to be some policy directive from Sky, that precludes him from doing what I'm asking?
    Or did he maybe just not want to agree to do so on the phone, perhaps?

I can't help but feel that there's something I'm not getting here; considering what everyone else is saying about how straightforward it was for them - so any advice and/or information of how best to proceed, would be very gratefully received indeed!

Cheers.

The Cush wrote: »
    The SkyQ LNB is a twin output wideband LNB, while the hybrid combines the twin output wideband and twin/quad output legacy LNB into a single unit, lots of pics and info out there, Google is your friend.

Cheers, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

'rent' as in Sky retains ownership of the devices and they must be returned to Sky if the subscriptions ('rent' payments) cease.

That's what I thought, thanks.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    This is the main point.

Get the installer to show you the hybrid LNB (6 ports) and ensure that any FTA and legacy Sky boxes work with it, also keep the LNB currently on the dish for future use.

If you can't be there then you'll have to make your parents aware of what to ask for.

Cheers - how would I ensure that the legacy box will work with it, considering that it'll be disconnected once the other is installed?

I'll be there alright, wouldn't take that chance. Although, judging by my interaction with the engineer earlier, it doesn't look good.

See my previous post: #52 upthread.

swoofer wrote: »
    To help you here are 2 pics of a sky hybrid, this one is about 3years old but may not have changed much. Note the 6 outputs, 2 for sky q and 4 for Freesat.

Print them off.

Thanks a lot, will do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Had a call with the engineer earlier and he certainly didn't sound like he was going to do what I asked wrt to installing a Hybrid.

Q LNB needs 2 cables. Hybrid LNB needs 2 cables for the Q box and if using any additional FTA/Freesat/Legacy Sky box concurrently, then an additional cable is needed for each.

Seems like installer doesn't want to install the hybrid LNB but that'll leave you without the ability to use FTA boxes. It might also not be as easy to source a hybrid LNB if he doesn't have one spare.

If you don't need to use any FTA box while using Sky Q then as long as you keep the existing LNB as a spare then it's just a matter of refitting it after cancelling Sky in future.

Here's what I suggested earlier in the thread to OP...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115530907&postcount=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭swoofer

I had a look back on your thread and the sky q is for your parents, replacing an old SD box, that will have only one cable from the dish or if it is a sky plus may have 2 cables. If its one then installer will have to run another cable. Sky q is quite complex. The other option is to buy a second hand sky hd box and it can be switched to single feed, ie use one cable, put in card and box should work unless they have premium channels, ie sky movies or sky sports. In that case the card has to be paired to the new box and involves a call to a sky operator, sky will have a message along the lines because of covid etc etc, there may be along waiting period..., But if you use this sky freephone number you can put phone on loudspeaker and wait... its 1800 927476.

The sky hd boxes are on adverts ie just type in sky hd.

Or buy a hybrid from here ebay, i cant do link as its too long but supplier is in Dublin about 28 euro. free p&p.
    Or ring sky and do as suggested above.

Its a marketing ploy by sky and you would be surprised how well it works, ie after 12 months, cancel oh yes send back box!! etc

Its the way of the world and why I have not 1 but 2 spare sky hd boxes. All cost about 25 euro with a remote. And they have that scart output and RF outputs.

In the end it will depend on the installer, some are very good, but the odd one can be a bit, shall I say pedantic.

good luck.

PS you could just threaten sky with cancellation and use excuse Q is too complex, I'm pretty sure they would rustle up a box from somewhere. But in these times its not easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

and he told me that the wideband is for Q only and that they only use the hybrid if there are extra cables going into it. Said that if it's only a single cable, then there are no other cables going into it, then they "have to use the wideband for that". That there are two ports on the wideband and that's what they'll be going into.

Then said that there are four ports on the hybrid (thought it was six, no?) - and that they don't use them, if they don't have to.

The hybrid pics posted above, EL010, is the old type smart hybrid LNB which has been phased out but there may still be some still lying around. Smart refers to all outputs auto-selecting as required, wideband or legacy, depending on the receiver connected.

The newer hybrids come in 2 types, a 6 fixed output version (2 x wideband outputs, 4 x legacy outputs) and a 4 fixed output version (2 x wideband outputs, 2 x legacy outputs). Model nos. EL027 & EL028. The 4 output would be fitted if required but the 6 output would require approval from a manager etc.

On the supply of a hybrid, strictly they should only be fitted where there is another receiver connected to the LNB such as a Freesat or FTA receiver at the time SkyQ is installed, but installers are generally flexible. My brother had SkyQ installed a few years ago, the installer had no issue installing the hybrid LNB.

Q LNB needs 2 cables. Hybrid LNB needs 2 cables for the Q box and if using any additional FTA/Freesat/Legacy Sky box concurrently, then an additional cable is needed for each.

Seems like installer doesn't want to install the hybrid LNB but that'll leave you without the ability to use FTA boxes. It might also not be as easy to source a hybrid LNB if he doesn't have one spare.

If you don't need to use any FTA box while using Sky Q then as long as you keep the existing LNB as a spare then it's just a matter of refitting it after cancelling Sky in future.

Here's what I suggested earlier in the thread to OP...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115530907&postcount=6

Ya, that was my thought too; he certainly was rather resistant to the idea, indeed repeatedly so - and that was my exact reasoning for doing so; we don't want to be left high and dry in the future, just because it suits sky.

Ya, those suggestions pretty much nail-it alright. I'll have no issue playing hardball if it comes to it - as I have absolutely no intention of being painted into a corner on this, just because they'd prefer it.

• Advertisement

The other option is to just get a combo box and install an aerial for RTE etc. and drop sky altogether. Did sky offer the upgrade to Sky Q or was it requested? Do they watch mostly/all FTA or a significant amount of sky/paid content?

I had a look back on your thread and the sky q is for your parents, replacing an old SD box, that will have only one cable from the dish or if it is a sky plus may have 2 cables. If its one then installer will have to run another cable. Sky q is quite complex. The other option is to buy a second hand sky hd box and it can be switched to single feed, ie use one cable, put in card and box should work unless they have premium channels, ie sky movies or sky sports. In that case the card has to be paired to the new box and involves a call to a sky operator, sky will have a message along the lines because of covid etc etc, there may be along waiting period..., But if you use this sky freephone number you can put phone on loudspeaker and wait... its 1800 927476.

The sky hd boxes are on adverts ie just type in sky hd.

Or buy a hybrid from here ebay, i cant do link as its too long but supplier is in Dublin about 28 euro. free p&p.
    Or ring sky and do as suggested above.

Its a marketing ploy by sky and you would be surprised how well it works, ie after 12 months, cancel oh yes send back box!! etc

Its the way of the world and why I have not 1 but 2 spare sky hd boxes. All cost about 25 euro with a remote. And they have that scart output and RF outputs.

In the end it will depend on the installer, some are very good, but the odd one can be a bit, shall I say pedantic.

good luck.

PS you could just threaten sky with cancellation and use excuse Q is too complex, I'm pretty sure they would rustle up a box from somewhere. But in these times its not easy.

Ya, they'll almost definitely have to run another cable, the customer service guy from the engineering dept told me that on the phone earlier - which means that they most likely won't be able to complete the installation, due to covid restrictions; which will mean another 6-8 weeks of a wait regardless.

And it's most definitely a deliberate ploy wrt having to return the boxes, so that people are less likely to cancel - they know that the vast majority won't do so with no immediate alternative. It's such a scumbag move, but that's no surprise. Indeed, when I was on with them initially having the improve-the-deal-or-we're-leaving conversation, I asked for a Sky+ box altogether, but they said they don't produce/supply them any more, so could only get a refurbed one and would have to pay, which was a def no-go in a negotiation. Can't remember how much exactly was quoted, but somewhere around €100-€120 IIRC.

But I have every intention of getting another box set-up there regardless, just haven't gotten around to it yet - so certainly don't want the option removed before it's even doable, due to no Hybrid. Nor do I want to pay for one myself and then have to install it also - if I'm doing that, then why the hell would we even need Sky; might was well just go the whole hog and cancel it altogether.

Will just have to see how it goes with the engineer, but I'm getting very tired of being constantly inconvenienced and still being expected to pay through the nose for it; very tired indeed!

The hybrid pics posted above, EL010, is the old type smart hybrid LNB which has been phased out but there may still be some still lying around. Smart refers to all outputs auto-selecting as required, wideband or legacy, depending on the receiver connected.

The newer hybrids come in 2 types, a 6 fixed output version (2 x wideband outputs, 4 x legacy outputs) and a 4 fixed output version (2 x wideband outputs, 2 x legacy outputs). Model nos. EL027 & EL028. The 4 output would be fitted if required but the 6 output would require approval from a manager etc.

On the supply of a hybrid, strictly they should only be fitted where there is another receiver connected to the LNB such as a Freesat or FTA receiver at the time SkyQ is installed, but installers are generally flexible. My brother had SkyQ installed a few years ago, the installer had no issue installing the hybrid LNB.

Thanks a bunch, that info certainly clarifies a lot. From what the engineer said, they're using the EL027 when it comes to hybrids. What you say wrt them only being fitted if there's a receiver already connected, sounds like it's probably policy in theory - but like most things in Ireland, it's ignored in practice; and the story about your brother (along with all the others' here) does so also.

Also, how do you know about the difference in the 4 output and 6 output models and the need for managerial approval?
    Are the installations of hybrids monitored by management generally, do you know?

Also, how do you know about the difference in the 4 output and 6 output models and the need for managerial approval?
    It was discussed on one of the UK forums when these new LNBs were launched.

The other option is to just get a combo box and install an aerial for RTE etc. and drop sky altogether. Did sky offer the upgrade to Sky Q or was it requested? Do they watch mostly/all FTA or a significant amount of sky/paid content?

Sky offered it, when I called to complain on their behalf because the standard of what they had had become so bad. I was watching the All-Ireland in their house and it was practically unwatchable, just awful. The box is knackered, as is the dish and it looked even worse in SD; piss-poor, bleeding colour and artefacts all over the shop. So I decided to see what I could do to improve it, or, if not, just cancel it altogether. Got a reasonably good deal - Q box, full HD, all the sports channels (only had the Sky ones previously), movies, box sets, demand or whatever it's called now, and basically all the other channels, for what they had already been paying.

They watch both tbh - my father, in particular likes watching documentaries and sport, especially rugby; and that's almost all gone from FTA now, except for the Six Nations.

And they're also now at an age where it would just be difficult for them to get used to a new interface and system/setup - but if this continues to be as inconvenient as it has been to this point, that reality will definitely become more likely an option.

It was disussed on one of the UK forums when these new LNBs were launched.

And what was the consensus around it there? Are you able to get them installed easily enough when needs be there - or is it more difficult?

• Advertisement

And what was the consensus around it there? Are you able to get them installed easily enough when needs be there - or is it more difficult?

I haven't really followed their rollout since then.

This is an age old problem and i have just remebered why the hybrid was ok in the uk and not here. it is due to the freesat system in the uk where Humaxmade boxes specifically for FREE TO AIR Tv and it has its own EPG. So a freesat customer moving to sky would be less inclined if they lost the Fressat facility. Freesat is not available in ireland legally so SKY are not keen in providing a facility where they shoot themelves in the foot.

But with all the latest combo boxes this is no longer an issue as yu only get Q if you really like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

This is an age old problem and i have just remebered why the hybrid was ok in the uk and not here. it is due to the freesat system in the uk where Humaxmade boxes specifically for FREE TO AIR Tv and it has its own EPG. So a freesat customer moving to sky would be less inclined if they lost the Fressat facility. Freesat is not available in ireland legally so SKY are not keen in providing a facility where they shoot themelves in the foot.

But with all the latest combo boxes this is no longer an issue as yu only get Q if you really like it.

Freesat is available in Ireland legally. The extras that come with it are Geo locked BBC iPlayer, ITV hub etc. There are ways around it but they are illegal. It's a lovely EPG very suitable for parents etc, they are the free channels only and none of the Irish channels are on it. The best receiver to get for it is the Humax but seem to be unavailable everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this is what they installed for me last week - white wires are going to the SkyQ box; black wires to an old HD box.

image.png

did you have to request it? in other words did you have any hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

did you have to request it? in other words did you have any hassle.

I mentioned it to the guy when he rang the day before, and on the day I pointed out which wires were which. There was no quibble, he just said "fine, I'll get a hybrid LNB"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Each satellite tuner requires a separate connection to the LNB on the dish or an output on a multiswitch.

So I have only two cables at the moment due to a mix up during renovations. One will be for saorview and one for satellite. If I bring the cable from the lnb to a Multiswitch in the comms room will I able to send a feed to three separate tuners using a multiswitch or is it a case if I want to do that I have to bring 3 cables from the lnb to the comms room no matter what?

roadmaster wrote: »
    So I have only two cables at the moment due to a mix up during renovations. One will be for saorview and one for satellite. If I bring the cable from the lnb to a Multiswitch in the comms room will I able to send a feed to three separate tuners using a multiswitch or is it a case if I want to do that I have to bring 3 cables from the lnb to the comms room no matter what?

A multiswitch requires 4 cables from the LNB in legacy mode or 2 if the multiswitch is wideband compatible and connected to a wideband LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭roadmaster

A multiswitch requires 4 cables from the LNB in legacy mode or 2 if the multiswitch is wideband compatible and connected to a wideband LNB.

Thanks for all the information. I have to figure out how to get the cables to the comms room without destroying the lovely new painted walls!

Unicable II LNBs only need one cable from dish, just need to ensure that any connected boxes/TVs/servers are unicable compliant.

Advertisement