Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being forced to stay on past contract?

Options
  • 05-10-2019 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I bought a phone in 2017 from Vodafone and signed up for a 24 month contract. The contract started 09/11/2017 and ends 08/11/2019. However it’s roll on contract so will continue on unless I give notice to cancel which is 30 days. So I’ve called them up today to give my 30 days notice of cancellation that I don’t want to stay on after 08/11. They’re saying I can’t cancel as I’m still in contract. I explained that I’m not canceling within contract. But giving my 30 days notice. They’re saying they can’t process it on the system until 08/11 so I’ll have to call back then to give the 30 days notice meaning I’ll have to pay an extra month!! I told them I only signed up for and fulfilled my 24 months and have given adequate notice. So I’m basically being told I have to pay 25 months. I asked for a copy of the terms and conditions and it does explain 30 day notice but nothing that the notice can only be given after contract ends. I’m not experienced with this type of thing. So I am wondering who should I contact next as I’ve has a similar reply from their online chat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Tell them to switch to payg on the 7th or 8th of November. They will probably say it takes a few days to do that so enquire from them about timing the request to avoid going into another bill cycle.

Record all the calls because it's possible they will still try to charge you so cancel the direct debit after the last bill is paid.

Contracts can't be more than 24 months so don't accept them trying to stretch it to 25. They are trying to get another payment for a phone that you will have paid for at the end of 24 months.

Just be careful about the wording you use with them, "cancelling" could possibly be interpreted as cancelling the number so switching to payg is the way to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Can't you just move to your new contract on the last day? I've never given 30 days notice (or made any direct contact for that matter) once out of contract. I just applied to move to a new contract/provider online and it just happens. If I go a few days into another month, I'm only charged for those few days, not a whole month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Tell them to switch to payg on the 7th or 8th of November. They will probably say it takes a few days to do that so enquire from them about timing the request to avoid going into another bill cycle.

Record all the calls because it's possible they will still try to charge you so cancel the direct debit after the last bill is paid.

Contracts can't be more than 24 months so don't accept them trying to stretch it to 25. They are trying to get another payment for a phone that you will have paid for at the end of 24 months.

Just be careful about the wording you use with them, "cancelling" could possibly be interpreted as cancelling the number so switching to payg is the way to avoid that.

Why would you go to the hassle of recording calls. That's just ridiculous.

We're talking about €5-€50 max here.

If op is canceling and giving up the number and not taking a contract out with any other provider, then it will max cost €50 or whatever his monthly fee is.

If the op is switching to another provider or switching plans, then the max cost is the difference in price.

And you think the op should record all calls? Seriously?

For the OP, simply request that at the end of the contract you'd like to be moved to the Sim only plan.
    Alternatively, sign up to another provider and request that the service commences on 9th Nov. (they'll do the switching)

It's only if you intend not to have a phone after 9th Nov, that you need to request a cancelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Phone2018

Thanks for all the replies. My current plan is 72 euro per month including phone insurance. Im planning to switch to 3 network. In Vodafone terms and conditions Section C it says 30 days required notice is required to switch network otherwise I will be billed for another month which I think is quite ridiculous. Ive found them very difficult to deal with when trying to leave them or changing network. Its the opposite of when I signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So call them, ask to switch to Sim only from 8th Nov, then switch whenever you want to another network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Im planning to switch to 3 network.

If you switch to PAYG with Vodafone at the end of the contract, then you can switch to whoever you want, the next day after moving to PAYG. SIM only with Vodafone will tie you in to another month, the cheapest SIM only plan is 35 euro.

Don't forget to get an unlock code for the phone from Vodafone.

Advertisement