Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2019, 20:13   #1
tastyt

Swords opinions

Hey guys. I'm just trying to get people's opinions for a family member.

My sister, husband and young family are close to buying in swords. The house and estate looks nice. I was up there the weekend and swords looks to have a lot going for it, good buzz and lots of future plans.

In the past few weeks though as she's really being researching they have become worried over a lot of reports of anti social behavior. One very nasty story of teenage gangs attacking queiter teenagers on the main Street and just general air of menace about the place.

I understand a town of such size will always have an element of trouble makers but she has a young family to think about and is starting to think maybe a smaller queiter village might be a better choice.

Is anyone living or has lived in swords? Are the reports exaggerated or are concerns warranted?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 20:14   #2
Stheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyt View Post
Hey guys. I'm just trying to get people's opinions for a family member.

My sister, husband and young family are close to buying in swords. The house and estate looks nice. I was up there the weekend and swords looks to have a lot going for it, good buzz and lots of future plans.

In the past few weeks though as she's really being researching they have become worried over a lot of reports of anti social behavior. One very nasty story of teenage gangs attacking queiter teenagers on the main Street and just general air of menace about the place.

I understand a town of such size will always have an element of trouble makers but she has a young family to think about and is starting to think maybe a smaller queiter village might be a better choice.

Is anyone living or has lived in swords? Are the reports exaggerated or are concerns warranted?

Thanks in advance
What estate/area?
19-09-2019, 20:30   #3
tastyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stheno View Post
What estate/area?
Brackenstown is the area I think but moreso the town in general
19-09-2019, 21:26   #4
Natashaw88x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyt View Post
Brackenstown is the area I think but moreso the town in general
We have just bought a house in millers glen. Due to move in in about 8 weeks. I’ve been living in Holywell for 3 years in swords, and malahide (which is more upmarket ) for 7 years before that. I actually still work in malahide also. We’re really happy with the new house, and find swords a great place in terms of shopping/nightlife/stuff to do with our daughter. Our daughter has just started primary school in st cronans and we are so happy with it so far. You are going to get anti social behaviour wherever you go and some estates are worse than others. In malahide/Portmarnock they also have the same issues with teens and robberies and it’s much more expensive to buy there. It’s everywhere. Overall I think swords is a nice place and we are very happy to settle here.
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 07:34   #5
Uriel.

I've lived in Swords almost my entire life. Like any other town there are estates that are not as good as others. There's places I'd avoid living in, brackenstown generally not one of them but there's a couple of areas I wouldn't buy in in brackenstown. Overall, Swords doesn't have any specific anti social behaviour over and above what one would expect from a similar size town.
Advertisement
20-09-2019, 08:42   #6
vintagecosmos

Those Dublin live stories about swords / malahide / portmarnock are very sensationalist clickbaity. Rare events that are hyped up. Best advice is to get out and see an area at night /weekends etc and decide for yourself.
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 08:47   #7
Peatys

My granny lived in Swords her whole life and she was grand.
My 5 n 6 yr olds live in Ridgewood and go to school in holy family. They're still alive somehow.
20-09-2019, 09:29   #8
Lux23

I'm from Swords, and I am looking to buy there soon. It is very safe and has a lovely settled, multi-cultural community. You actually see fewer groups of teens now then you did when I was a teenager growing up there in the 90s, in fact, it was rougher in the early 90s, especially around Main Street.
20-09-2019, 13:39   #9
peteb2

live in Holywell for 12 years since it was built Moved out last year. I would avoid there like the plague. Never developed the way it should have and now getting industrially built up outside the estate.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion