Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WHO bull****

• 07-05-2015 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

http://tippfm.com/news/news_detail/government_working_on_plan_to_tackle_growing_obesity_problem
    One of the country's top medical officers says they are working on a plan to tackle Ireland's obesity problem, after a prediction that we'll be Europe's fattest country in 15 years time.

A new report from the World Health Organisation forecasts that Ireland will be the most obese country in Europe by the year 2030.

It says Irish women could become the worst offenders, with 57 per cent forecast to be obese in 15 years, compared to 48 per cent of men.

The Deputy Chief Medical Officer at the Department of Health, Dr John Devlin, says the figures are not surprising, given that obesity has doubled in Ireland over the past 20 years.

He says they're now drawing up a whole-of-government action plan to tackle obesity that will be published later this year.

Bull****

Just another excuse for a stealth tax on fizzy drinks and fast food. Meanwhile fruit and vegetables/healthy eating cost up to 4x times more here in Ireland than in our neighbouring countries. The UK is the fattest country in Europe.

Ask yourself how many people you have seen like this on our streets? I can't remember seeing anybody like that in the past few weeks.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/28/article-1370802-0B5FFB8100000578-115_468x622.jpg in Newcastle, London, and Manchester I seen 10-15 a day.

The fattest Irish person I have ever seen on television was Dr. James Reilly. He is one fat *******

We went to school with fizzy drinks and chocolate spread sandwiches and bars. My nieces and nephews go to school with juices, fruit and string cheeses.

Supermacs and other takeaways nearby during the 1990s used to have queues outside the door. These days your at most second in the queue at the counter. In fact the number of takeaways that closed here in recent years and the number of sandwich shops opening shows that people are eating healthier.

The number of teenage girls (4 on my estate) who are battling eating disorders buying laxatives. The number of adults in towns and cities taking up walking, going to the GYM and swimming and other sports in recent years. Something is not adding up here.

Its funny the countries they predict will be the most affected are the ones with the most debt. Greece, Spain and Ireland.

As Joseph Goebbels once said Propaganda becomes ineffective the moment we are aware of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You know the eating habbits of every girl in your estate? That's weird dude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Chris___ wrote: »
    Bull****

Just another excuse for a stealth tax on fizzy drinks and fast food. Meanwhile fruit and vegetables/healthy eating cost up to 4x times more here in Ireland than in our neighbouring countries. The UK is the fattest country in Europe.

Ask yourself how many people you have seen like this on our streets? I can't remember seeing anybody like that in the past few weeks.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/28/article-1370802-0B5FFB8100000578-115_468x622.jpg in Newcastle, London, and Manchester I seen 10-15 a day.

The fattest Irish person I have ever seen on television was Dr. James Reilly. He is one fat *******

We went to school with fizzy drinks and chocolate spread sandwiches and bars. My nieces and nephews go to school with juices, fruit and string cheeses.

Supermacs and other takeaways nearby during the 1990s used to have queues outside the door. These days your at most second in the queue at the counter. In fact the number of takeaways that closed here in recent years and the number of sandwich shops opening shows that people are eating healthier.

The number of teenage girls (4 on my estate) who are battling eating disorders buying laxatives. The number of adults in towns and cities taking up walking, going to the GYM and swimming and other sports in recent years. Something is not adding up here.

Its funny the countries they predict will be the most affected are the ones with the most debt. Greece, Spain and Ireland.

As Joseph Goebbels once said Propaganda becomes ineffective the moment we are aware of it.
    Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Get kids walking to school again rather than dropped at the door. That's where it all started, lazy little bollixis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

No more Mickey D's as a "treat".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

If it means no fat chicks then im all for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cover vegetables in chocolate. Like toffee apples back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Please calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I see loads of fat, obese people in stretched spandex leggings munching down on McDonalds for breakfast almost every day. It might be mental to imagine but perhaps you don't live on every estate? I however have the displeasure of working in a low socio-economic environment beside a MaccyD's. Its like feeding time at the hippo enclosure except if the hippos had hoopy earings and leggings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

*puts down sausage supper*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

*puts down sausage supper*

Hey backwards man...you love you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

If it means no fat chicks then im all for it

But fat chicks do more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

In england they get a free mobility scooters if they are morbidly obese or on disability. Youd see the scooters parked up outside the pub. Ireland don't give out free scooters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

You two, get a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Get kids walking to school again rather than dropped at the door. That's where it all started, lazy little bollixis

Jesus, health advice from the cookie monster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Hardly a riposte to carefully and lengthily researched studies by highly qualified and experienced medical/health experts tbh.

I know there are people who get a hard-on from being preachy about the rise in obesity in Ireland and use it to have a go at people - and they use exaggerations too: you'd swear it was like Texas. I don't see this myriad of really fat people it's claimed are everywhere you look.

Even so, there is still an increase in the numbers of overweight/obese people here. The key element IMO is portion size.
    Yeah we used to eat a good bit of rubbish when I was a kid in the 80s too, but the portion sizes/accepted portion sizes were WAY smaller, and the choice of high-calorie foods/drinks/food outlets was a lot more limited also.

You wouldn't have to be seeing a significant number of people the size of the guy in the photo for there to be an increase in overweight people either. Overweight isn't just that size - far from it. There's a spectrum, and that lad is at the top, or very close to it.

It's true that plenty of people are getting really into healthy living at the same time - well exercise certainly, don't know about diet; diet has much more of an impact on weight than exercise though (this isn't an opinion, it's a fact). But plenty of other people are taking in more calories than they need. Me included. I eat a lot of healthy food and I exercise but I love my high-calorie foods and booze too and it does catch up on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

You know four girls buying laxatives in your estate. Is that normal? Should I tell people about my ****ting habits?

Its funny the countries they predict will be the most affected are the ones with the most debt. Greece, Spain and Ireland...

I've seen fatter Irish people than James Reilly on tv.

The countries with the biggest debts are Germany and France...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt

The countries with the biggest debts as a % of GDP are Greece, Italy and Portugal...

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-records-largest-drop-in-debt-in-european-union-1.2075547

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

It sounds like bs, something that would be difficult to accurately predict. omg Ireland went from 5% to 8% obese in the last 3yrs. At this rate, obesity will be 23% in 15yrs.

And this bird you cannot chaaaaaaaaangggeeee!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What I find hilarious is people that go to the gym but will spend ages driving around looking for a space near to the door....

If we put this fat in all the right places though we could be a pretty sexy country. We just have to make sure it goes to the chesticles and ass of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

There are a lot more obese people than anorexics.

Tackling obesity will in no way contribute to body dysmorphia. Anorexics and bulemics do not seek to lose weight to tackle health risks. You do not need to be thin to avoid the real and serious health effects associated with obesity. You just need to be non-obese.

WHO is not an agency of the Irish government.

Taxing fizzy drinks is a good idea. The punitive tax on tobacco made sense while I smoked, and it helped me and other people I know quit smoking. Obesity is just as bad for your health as smoking, so extreme taxes on contributors makes sense. Nobody needs to drink cola.

WHO are you?

I really wanna know

WHO are you?

I really wanna know
    I'm John.

Not really.

My name isn't really John.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

After hours used to be fun....

Also,cushion for de pushing an' all that.

Don't knock it till you've, er, knocked it.

Lighten up or don't waste valuable ah time.

I don't agree with taxing fizzy drinks as this just helps abdicate responsibility.
    Things like fast-food outlets not selling small buckets of Coke as a "large drink" would be preferable IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

For a minute there I thought you were a disgruntled Glastonbury fan venting your spleen about the Who announcement.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

All the kids are comfort eating due ta all da social media bullying, da skunk cannabis farms, and da pedos in white vans scouring the country.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with taxing fizzy drinks as this just helps abdicate responsibility.
    Things like fast-food outlets not selling small buckets of Coke as a "large drink" would be preferable IMO.
    in fairness fast food place rip you right off for fizzy drinks, regardless of the size.
    Diet coke and a pizza please.

I'm John.

Not really.

My name isn't really John.
    Entwhistle?

That's the way I want to go.

Forget your fatty foods, a hape of Coke and a fine woman in the bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

WHO are you?

I really wanna know
    What are y' y' you talking about?

After hours used to be fun....

Lighten up or don't waste valuable ah time.

I agree it's not the same man.

I don't think fatty-bashing was ever not a thing on AH.

wil wrote: »
    What are y' y' you talking about?
    It's pretty ironic when you think about it in an Alanis Morrisette kind of way. Dying of lack of sustenance in the most obese country in the world in the city that introduced you to a whole new wave of fans.

I hope my turfcutting song becomes famous before I croak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

in fairness fast food place rip you right off for fizzy drinks, regardless of the size.
    Diet coke and a pizza please.

Love that song :D

Not too worried really tbh about all this talk of obesity and all the rest of it any more. I never was in the first place but I'm tired of the interpretative scaremongering that goes on about the issue in order to foist more and more public policies down people's throats in the name of 'healthy living'.

I really don't want to live in some androgynous shìthole of a country where everyone is obsessive about their appearance and their health and all the rest of it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I've seen fatter Irish people than James Reilly on tv.

The countries with the biggest debts are Germany and France...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt

The countries with the biggest debts as a % of GDP are Greece, Italy and Portugal...

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-records-largest-drop-in-debt-in-european-union-1.2075547

and Macedonia.

They're called the G.I.M.P.s :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

thee glitz wrote: »
    It sounds like bs, something that would be difficult to accurately predict. omg Ireland went from 5% to 8% obese in the last 3yrs. At this rate, obesity will be 23% in 15yrs.

WHO themselves admit that it is projection models they are using, but that doesn't mean what they're doing isn't responsible policy....
    João Breda, from the WHO’s regional office in Copenhagen, said: “Although this was a forecasting exercise, and therefore data needs to be taken with extreme caution, it conveys two strong messages – first that the availability and quality of the data in countries needs to be improved and second that these predictions show more needs to be done in terms of preventing and tackling obesity.”

[Laura Webber, of the UK Health Forum] said the present “obesegenic environment” encouraged the over-consumption of energy dense foods and discouraged physical activity. Restricting the marketing of unhealthy food to children, making healthier food more affordable, for example through subsidies on fruit and vegetables, and making less healthy food more expensive by using taxes, for example on sugary drinks, were among the measures needed, she told the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/may/05/obesity-crisis-projections-uk-2030-men-women

It is cute when people see dark forces at work when all it really is is professional health-care people trying to influence policy for the greater good!

People need to be protected from themselves, we have known this since Cain killed Abel! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

You don't have to be obese to be unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

thee glitz wrote: »

I think the key to the WHO results is that they indicate what will happen if Ireland continues on the current path. Nothing to say that things can't change.

I really don't want to live in some androgynous shìthole of a country where everyone is obsessive about their appearance and their health and all the rest of it.

Since when is eating junk in moderation and being active for a mere 30 minutes a day androgynous and appearance obsessed?? This is easily achievable by making sure there's food in the fridge and for many getting off the bus a stop earlier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This obesity epidemic crap is the same as the constant bleating about our "national drink problem". It's become a constant propaganda drum beat being used to push through nanny state policies, so much so that any articles on the subject are now widely ignored, even those which might have genuine health benefits to those reading them.

That's what happens when you use health warnings not to tell people to take better care of themselves, but to say "we're going to make your life unpleasant to force you to take our medical advice".

This obesity epidemic crap is the same as the constant bleating about our "national drink problem". It's become a constant propaganda drum beat being used to push through nanny state policies, so much so that any articles on the subject are now widely ignored, even those which might have genuine health benefits to those reading them.

It's not crap, it's a fact. We're all here posting about it so it's not being widely ignored. Also, I'm pretty certain that a lot of people will consult their BMI and the waist measurement thing when they hear public health advertisements advising of what they should be.
    That's what happens when you use health warnings not to tell people to take better care of themselves, but to say "we're going to make your life unpleasant to force you to take our medical advice".

Ya because obvs they're lying to everyone to try and control us and prob just for the laugh.

Since when is eating junk in moderation and being active for a mere 30 minutes a day androgynous and appearance obsessed?? This is easily achievable by making sure there's food in the fridge and for many getting off the bus a stop earlier...

Did I say that?

I'm not sure why you quoted my post and then tried to deduce something from it that I hadn't even implied?

Honestly, read my post again. I said I don't want to live in a society where people are obsessed with their appearance and their health. I never said anything about how they actually achieve anything or otherwise. I simply don't care how they choose to do it, I just don't want to hear about it... ironically enough, given what you posted which had nothing to do with my post! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

All extrapolations are nonsense. 20% are fat now. It was 10% five years ago. Therefore we will all be fat in the time it takes to get to 100% at a doubling every five years i.e 20-40% in five years. 40-80 in the next five, so ten years to 80% in total. And then a few more years to 100%.

That never works out. There was an article in the Spectator about how badly they got 2015 wrong. I'll post it if it is not behind a paywall.

Did I say that?

I'm not sure why you quoted my post and then tried to deduce something from it that I hadn't even implied?

Honestly, read my post again. I said I don't want to live in a society where people are obsessed with their appearance and their health. I never said anything about how they actually achieve anything or otherwise. I simply don't care how they choose to do it, I just don't want to hear about it... ironically enough, given what you posted which had nothing to do with my post! :confused:

This is what you said:

Being a healthy weight just means avoiding too much junk and exercising for 30 minutes a day. It's really that simple. No obsession necessary.

This is what you said:

Being a healthy weight just means avoiding too much junk and exercising for 30 minutes a day. It's really that simple. No obsession necessary.

Yes I know what I said, I didn't say anything about what is required to be a healthy weight or anything like that. Moderate exercise and taking pride in your appearance - grand.

But I said obsessive. Obsessive as in the person literally obsessed with their health and their appearance. I don't want to live in that sort of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Spectator piece

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/spectator-surgery/2015/05/obesity-predictions/

Before we get too carried away by the hoo-hah, it’s worth reflecting on the track record of obesity predictions – a record which is, to put it mildly, sub-optimal. In 2006, a Department of Health report predicted that 28 per cent of women and 33 per cent of men would be obese by 2010. Although a prediction for just four years in advance sounds a modest task, 2010 came and went with obesity rates of 26 per cent for both sexes.

In 2007, the well-regarded Foresight report predicted that ‘by 2015, 36% of males and 28% of females will be obese’. Figures for 2015 have not yet been published but the most recent data for England show rates of 26 per cent and 24 per cent respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I'd well believe it. There was only a handful of overweight kids in my year when I was in primary school. Nowadays there's noticeably more. Same goes for adults really. There's a lot more overweight people around in recent years than there would have been 10/20 years ago and the numbers are going up. Just because there's not loads of incredibly obese people like in the image posted, doesn't mean that as a whole the country isn't becoming overweight.

Processed foods are so cheap and convenient I think they're definitely a big part of the problem. Fast foods have become a weekly thing in most families. Kids are so spoiled these days too...always getting lifts to places that they could walk or get the bus to, being given money to go for food with their friends far too much, being given chocolate/sweets as a treat for good behavior. Everything in moderation and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

Just another excuse for a stealth tax on fizzy drinks and fast food.
    What's the problem? People have been celebrating the tax hikes on cigarettes for years. Or are we only in favour of the nanny state when it targets someone else's vice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's not crap, it's a fact. We're all here posting about it so it's not being widely ignored. Also, I'm pretty certain that a lot of people will consult their BMI and the waist measurement thing when they hear public health advertisements advising of what they should be.

BMI is a joke. Most bodybuilders will fail a BMI test as it doesn't take muscle mass into account. And that's not the point, if people check themselves out as a result of these campaigns that's absolutely brilliant and should be encouraged.

What shouldn't be encouraged is punishing everyone to try and curb the self-destructive behavior of the few, or even the majority. Someone who is not behaving unhealthily shouldn't be financially penalised as collateral damage from trying to coerce those who are. That's the definition of the nanny state and it's ridiculous.
    Ya because obvs they're lying to everyone to try and control us and prob just for the laugh.

Not for the laugh, read what I said above. They regard "protecting" people from their own freedom of choice as more important than respecting individual liberty and bodily autonomy. That's a fairly serious problem in my view.

• Advertisement
Advertisement