Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trading in two cars for one

• 19-12-2013 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

Both myself and husband have our own cars and my son's car is also parked outside as he is in Dublin and only uses the car once in a blue moon (car was bought for him) Husband's car is a Citroen Picasso 08 and mine a Ford Focus CMax 07. With the cost of running three cars (tax, insurance etc) we thought we might trade in the Citroen and Ford and buy a Hyundai i35 or a Kia (cant rem make but similar to i35). I would use this and husband would use son's car for driving to work.

Has anyone ever traded two for one or is this feasible. I imagine they would offer a lower trade in as they would have two cars to offload?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Difficult and if anyone did it you'd get fleeced. Clean one or both up and put up a decent done deal ad at a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

They just fleece you twice as much instead of once.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

sell 1 private make more money that way and see what trade in offer you get on the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

It really just depends on the garage and your 2 cars specifically. If your buying new or nearly new and plan on putting a few bob with the 2 cars they should be happy enough to do a deal. Shop around but really the only figure that counts is the cost of change for the same car at the different dealers. As the trade in values they just add the prices on to take them off ie if one garage was offering you 10k for each of your cars but the new one was 25k then that's 5k cost of change. If another garage was offering 9k for each car you might think there not giving you as good a deal but if there only looking for 22k for the same car as the first garage then that's cost to change of 4k and is a better deal. Obviously the figures above are just made up.

The main thing is compare like with like when it comes to the new car and look at the cost to change not necessarily the trade in values. Shop around if you want a new ix-35 for example go to 5 Hyundai garages not one as some will be more interested in your cars then others. Are both the trade in cars petrol or diesel ? As if there diesel they will be more desirable to the garages and will be worth more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

We traded in two cars to a BWM main dealer. The trade in values for both were affected but overall it wasnt awful. Didnt have any other options at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

I realise this is a 5 year old thread but I was hoping for similar advice. In a similar situation. We don't need 2 cars, only one. We have a 172 Mazda CX3 and a 151 Lexus CT200H.
    If possible we'd like to trade in for 1 PHEV or possibly full electric.
    Would a dealer laugh you off if we were to look for , say a 181 Leaf or Golf maybe plus a couple of grand in cash? I estimate the combined cash value of the 2 cars at between 30-35k

Reason we're thinking of doing this is because the CX3 is getting zero traction on Carzone etc - understandably given the price. People would rather deal with dealers at the €18k/19k mark.
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement