Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is going to gamestops at 00:00 for COD tonight? :D

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fuzzballs wrote: »
    Servers cost money to run. Im sure their decision was based on that simple fact. Its going to happen to many more games im sure. Unless you pay a monthly subscription of course.

servers cost OUR money to run and we were more than happy paying a small price to what is a huge advantage over online console gaming. im sure the server providers dont mind how the dedi server business runs, but now that IW.net has bent us all backwards, they may be quaking in their boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Servers cost money to run. Im sure their decision was based on that simple fact. Its going to happen to many more games im sure. Unless you pay a monthly subscription of course.

But the servers cost Infinity Ward nothing, the community paid for and ran them, they've just fcuked over their whole community

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The 360 versions of COD didnt have dedicated servers and the connections are fine 99% of the time. Plus host migration if the existing host leaves.

Here is the problem, the pc is not a console. We have prolific cheating, port issues and a wide range of different powered pc's. Its not cut and dry like he xbox which is uniform across the board. If I wanted to play a xbox game I would buy a xbox game.

The community in the past for all fps games paid and hosted their own servers and created their own content. These had both anti-cheat systems and the ever useful tool of admins to ban blatant cheaters. By having dedicated servers we could host larger amounts of players(greater then a **** 9v9). And we could in seconds find and join a game with any number of settings and options.

Infinaty ward didn't do this for any reason besides money. They didn't want to pay somebody to write the code for the pc, so basically nothing has changed from the xbox version. Its also so they can tie in DLC to pc users for more money.

Now let me tell you what is going to happen.

This game is going to sell well. Very well. Even with all the outrage. And when the blatant aimbots start appearing on servers left, right and centre, when no pc community really forms people are going to get really pissed off. And they are going to stop playing. And the after sales of the game are going to tank. And when the next version of COD MW comes out, a lot less people are going to buy it.

And if you don't believe me, in Css which had a decent anti cheat system on my clans server which was in the top twenty in the world at one point for activity, we as a clan banned over 6000 people in the space of a month for what can only be described as the most blatant cheating you could ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

Ok i get it now. I see why you PC gamers are all pissed off.
    Guess LAN parties will be making a comeback :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭AcePuppetMaster

Have mine preordered, paid for and it's the Prestige Ed and as luck would have it, I'm stuck in a hotel in Helsinki with no Xbox 360 or PS3!:o

Btw all the games are mad expensive over here except for COD4 GOTY Edition too!!! (19.99). :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've not played the first MW yet, and I don't even like going to GameStop in daylight, so nope.

I'd have to work my way through from COD2 too, so it might be a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    44.99, you'll get 10% off that with a smyths loyalty card. However they might be giving out preorders first. I wouldn't worry about the game selling out though. I've never seen a game sell out.

You never seen a game sell out? O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Here is the problem, the pc is not a console. We have prolific cheating, port issues and a wide range of different powered pc's. Its not cut and dry like he xbox which is uniform across the board. If I wanted to play a xbox game I would buy a xbox game.

The community in the past for all fps games paid and hosted their own servers and created their own content. These had both anti-cheat systems and the ever useful tool of admins to ban blatant cheaters. By having dedicated servers we could host larger amounts of players(greater then a **** 9v9). And we could in seconds find and join a game with any number of settings and options.

Infinaty ward didn't do this for any reason besides money. They didn't want to pay somebody to write the code for the pc, so basically nothing has changed from the xbox version. Its also so they can tie in DLC to pc users for more money.

Now let me tell you what is going to happen.

This game is going to sell well. Very well. Even with all the outrage. And when the blatant aimbots start appearing on servers left, right and centre, when no pc community really forms people are going to get really pissed off. And they are going to stop playing. And the after sales of the game are going to tank. And when the next version of COD MW comes out, a lot less people are going to buy it.

And if you don't believe me, in Css which had a decent anti cheat system on my clans server which was in the top twenty in the world at one point for activity, we as a clan banned over 6000 people in the space of a month for what can only be described as the most blatant cheating you could ever see.

Another problem with the new approach is the fact that the person hosting the game gets an advantage over all the other players due to zero ping. That isn't a problem with a dedicated server setup. The problem is inscreased due to the different pc specs of each player.

I decided not to get this game after Activision said they were charging 10 quid more for it because they could.

I honestly don't think they care about potential drop in pc sales so all complaints will fall on deaf ears. They'll make the money on the console sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well, i got it. FIRST in the shop btw. Outside the staff ofc :D

Well i am off to install it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭andy g

Pick mine up in tesco tonight,But no remote to put my t.v on av :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭AcePuppetMaster

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Thanks PogMoThoin! Póg mo thóin! :p

I suppose I had it coming though. You see if I had my night vision goggles, I wouldn't have been left in the dark. The worse thing is that I'm stuck here until next Wednesday. :(:(

Advertisement