Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Definition of an arrow

• 16-02-2008 5:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

What is the definition of an arrow and how does that definition make it different to a bolt..
    Are the really the same, i would love to hear some of the experts on this point of definition.....;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

Are you gona ever drop the hole hunting thing? I doubt that very many people are going to supposrt or help you with it, its illegal for a reason or reasons for that matter, panserborn already closed your old thread and it violates the charter even talking about it or stuff to do with it. Even by dancing around it and asking seemingly inocent questions, your gona get yourself into trouble.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

One is shot out of a bow, the other out of a crossbow?

And you'd be shooting either of these at unliving, completely legal targets, right?

Right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

yes..of course i dont think it a good idea to hunt with a xbow away its too big to conceal but it would give some game a sporting chance at life. rifles are too excat a killing machine to be considered sporting but i,m a sucker for bitching on about a topic.. but really would like to know the archers opinion of the characteristic of the two forms of missile... If i was going to hunt with a bow i just do it and would not be here talking about the legalities of it all..............

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Memori

yes..of course i dont think it a good idea to hunt with a xbow away its too big to conceal but it would give some game a sporting chance at life. rifles are too excat a killing machine to be considered sporting but i,m a sucker for bitching on about a topic.. but really would like to know the archers opinion of the characteristic of the two forms of missile... If i was going to hunt with a bow i just do it and would not be here talking about the legalities of it all..............

oh my god.....you keep harping on about a topic that most archers do not wish to discuss.....you say that you "really would like to know the archers opinion" ... well why won't you respect the majority of the archers opinions on this forum and let the topic rest. it has been made quite clear that it is not something that we wish to discuss

you are not able to think outside the box are ye...??just asked a normal question... try a normal answer.. i never knew that the circus had archers:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Okay okay okay ................ (me in moderator voice)
    Lets not start getting testy with each other. I've been in contact with Ivan and he understands the whole "not a hunting forum" rule with the archery board. The question he asked in this thread is a legitimate archery question - bolts and arrows. Regardless of what anyone wishes to do with this info, it is still an allowed question (bad grammer :o).

(me in my own voice)
    I think the main difference is that a bolt has no nock and sometimes carries only 2 fletches. IMHO they are essentially the same thing in the same way that different calibre ballistic rounds are the same "thing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

Bolts do have knocks in a way although they are mostly flat, some have a bit of a depression to keep the string centred. I exploded part of a cross bow because the knock part wasn't in right, similar in a way to an arrow in a recurve but more violent and louder. I think bolts are just teeny arrows. Maybe so called becuase it's then easier to differentiate between xbow and recurve/compound archery equipment

i have heard that proper bolts dont look much like arrow and are designed to fall at a constant rate once they have slid of the tiller..
    This leads to super accuracy every time..Arrows are formed for instinctive shooting with bow pron to many variables,, native American Indians caught their prey by their ability to create chances and not through their marksman skills. The crossbow was, i think an effort to over come inaccuracy in shooting and limit the number of variables, namely the archers paradox and the consistency of the draw point. Later came the ability to sight targets more consistently, with the variables ironed out problems with the nature of the arrows would have been easy to spot(ie wobble, extended flight or uneven rates of missile drop).. A new plan of action would have been called for to solve this problem,--- The birth of the bolt. Bolts are designed to act as a modern ballistic and their trajectory should be mathematically reproducible.. This means that a proper bolt prob would have no fletching but instead they have a shuttle cock (similar) drag system.... They should be designed to take no shock and hence loose no cast power so you could say that their spine is very high.
    Can you think of anymore...Where are all the real archers-- old school..
    i would have thought that if i had have told an archery instructor that a bolt and an arrow where only different sizes of the same device,,, well I'd say that he would have gone to town on me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭MicS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭MicS

And why asking if you already know all this? Your own explanation is more detailed than "bolts are for crossbows".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,612 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He is asking because the wildlife act has a list of banned "objects" for hunting, arrows are listed but bolts. That train of thought is futile as the banned list in its full text also extends to bolts, as it includes the words "or similar" and missiles. Bolts are similar to arrows and are "missiles" in a strict sense.

I'm not surprised at this thread Ivan, still at it :D
    but that said, the reasom im on this board is because of you too, your harping on xbows reminded me that my brother would like one, birthday coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Mellor wrote: »
    your harping on xbows reminded me that my brother would like one, birthday coming up

Hope ya really like your brother - pretty expensive to get the competition grade xbows :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,612 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was hoping to get him a pistol one, cheap enough, if he likes it he can upgrade when he has cash.
    But seeing as there is te whole comp grade club issue it will be a non runner, vouchers it is

Can you buy a surprise present of a xbow...:confused:
    hope he is old enough to know the difference between a bolt and an arrow:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭corkarcher

i always tought a bolt was alot shorter than an arrow? i dont know much about crossbows maybe the one i saw was for a "pistol one" or whatever ye call it. it seems to me that arrows are cut to suit the archers arm length but i dont understand the relevance of the length of a bolt :confused: someone wanna clear that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

The difference in practical terms is the length of the shaft.

Same points, smaller fletches, same shafts just cut shorter. Usually a flat nock but some trackless bows used archery type nocks to fit the bolt to the string. These have mostly gone out of fashion as they are difficult to "tune".

This is a particular loophole Ivan ain't gonna fit through.

Advertisement