Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting Up A Compound Bow

Options
  • 21-08-2006 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,

While not being new to archery I am however new to compound bows.

I recently bought a compound bow and could really use some advice on setting it up, the manual is next to useless. If there is anyone locally or anyone who can offer any advice I would very much appreciate it.

I live in Ballinlough Co Roscommon. If anyone can help, please post or drop me a line.

sulla@closecombat.org

Many thanks,

Shaun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 AceCarey

Well i came across the same problame myself setting up a compound is diffacult. I have had to send my new compound bow down to Shooting Stlye Co.Meath to get them to use there "bow press"(???) on it. IMHO setting up a compound is a job for somone who knows there ****, unlike a recurve. I would recomend Shooting Style thay are pretie good and not to expensave.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

You shouldnt have to pay to get your bow set up. Anyone who knows about a compound bow would be more than willing to help you for free.

True but there is very few people in the country who have access to the tools recesary to set up a compound bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭baggins

true but i think you should be able to find someone closer to you than summerhill, or at least someone at a similar distance who wouldnt charge for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭lilRedSmurf

Ok first off, by set up what exactly do you guys mean cos they should arrive fully strung to your specs.
    And to adjust the tillers or cams to lenghten or shorten the draw length or fiddle with the poundage to suit your measurements should NOT need the use of a bowpress.

Also:
    Bow presses are niffty little (horrendously expensive) devices used to compress the limbs of the bow so you can put on or take off the string.

Can you tell me what model you've bought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Bow presses can be really expensive OR, if you look hard enough you can get a cheap version that isn't really a press, more of a wrench (example here). The guy who tunes up my bow uses one of these and they fit in the palm of your hand and are portable. Looking for one myself via ebay.

The bowpress is needed to adjust the timing of the cams. You got to press the bow, unhook the appropiate cable, give it a few twists and re-check the timing - pretty important to get this right. Badly timed cams (from experience!) will botch up the shot.

In aney case the a compound is far more diffacult than a recurve to set up and if you cant figure it out with the manule dont **** with it. Leave that to someone in a club or someone with experance to do that.

By the by the bowpress was just an exampel of diffacultys that can arise. (not recesarly what "Lazer95" needs)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

AceCarey wrote:
    In aney case the a compound is far more diffacult than a recurve to set up and if you cant figure it out with the manule dont **** with it.

Here here

I found that a badly tuned compound "feels" just like a well tuned compound. But with recurve, if there is something out of place you can often "feel" it in the shot.

As everyone is saying, bring it to someone who knows whats what and learn from them - tuning a compound blind is like trying to hammer jelly to a wall.

Yes that is true but, a recurve is easy to fix most setup diffacultys, ya check some?? I did say most now.

All that aside do get someone who know there stuff to set up your compound bow.

Advertisement