Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tin can rattle on gear change

• 16-10-2019 7:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

This noise only happens when i first begin using my car..
    when i change gear upwards then push the accelerator in the next gear it creates a sound like a rattle of a tin can.

After driving and the cars warmed up it doesnt make this noise, seems to be 1st start only.

Any help or ideas on what this is would be great

Fiesta 2008 1.4 petrol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

Loose heat shield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Loose heat shield?

Doesn't rattle for instance if i stop on a journey then restart the car and continue....would a heatshield rattle only on 1st start of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭standardg60

Sounds like you're just changing gears too early, go up the revs a bit more and see if that cures it

Sounds like you're just changing gears too early, go up the revs a bit more and see if that cures it

I dont think its a case of that, im very consious when im doing the start off to see if the sounds still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Does noise go away if just light press clutch pedal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It could be pointing to bearings on the way out:
    release bearing(top of pedal) or pilot bearing(full depth)

dvdman1 wrote:
    Doesn't rattle for instance if i stop on a journey then restart the car and continue....would a heatshield rattle only on 1st start of the day

Mine did and it drove me bannanas,then it stopped,back again etc etc,get it up on a ramp,as I did with my mechanic and I prodding / poking, shaking exhaust etc,he found it,loose bolt on heat shield

Mine did and it drove me bannanas,then it stopped,back again etc etc,get it up on a ramp,as I did with my mechanic and I prodding / poking, shaking exhaust etc,he found it,loose bolt on heat shield

And it would most likely rattle just on the application of the accelerator after changing up gears on a cold engine, hence why i suggested going up the revs a bit more before doing so.

And it would most likely rattle just on the application of the accelerator after changing up gears on a cold engine, hence why i suggested going up the revs a bit more before doing so.

I've an automatic so putting it into D didn't always create a rattle,,,,idling for at times vv frustrating, thought my car was knackered

Over revving on starup and gear change seems to make it disappear, once i down the revs i hear the rattle.

• Advertisement

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Over revving on starup and gear change seems to make it disappear, once i down the revs i hear the rattle.

Have a look at the heat shield so, you may just have to bend it away from the exhaust a bit or there may be a bolt loose.. easy fix.

Advertisement