Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So this arrived this morning:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=451257&stc=1&d=1526897044

It actually looks good, I'll take it out to the car this evening and see how close the colour is, but it looks great to me.

Took it out and held the new wing up to the old, the colour is perfect as far as I can tell. I'm sure there's some slight variance in it, but feck it.

So here's a question, the back of the new panel is coated in something (it's black with silver overspray from the front). Should I coat it in something more on the inside to protect it from the same damage the old one received? I could just paint it with any kind of paint to seal it I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Spotted this earlier

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805146499459
    It has at least 514,000 miles on it according to the MOT-history, seriously impressive average of 40k/year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Took it out and held the new wing up to the old, the colour is perfect as far as I can tell. I'm sure there's some slight variance in it, but feck it.

So here's a question, the back of the new panel is coated in something (it's black with silver overspray from the front). Should I coat it in something more on the inside to protect it from the same damage the old one received? I could just paint it with any kind of paint to seal it I suppose...

Put a cavity wax on the inside of the wing or even underseal. It will help to preserve it and protect it from corrosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

commited wrote: »
    Spotted this earlier

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805146499459
    It has at least 514,000 miles on it according to the MOT-history, seriously impressive average of 40k/year.

The ad is gone already :confused:

Along same lines actually, Car Throttle bought an Octavia 1.9TDi with 430k miles on it, running perfectly still with original turbo and engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

i just figured this morning my car doesnt want to go over 131mph :(
    need a new gearbox a guess.
    vauxhall VXR or insignia 2.0 193ps would be the next best options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Asmooh wrote: »

131 kmph you mean surely?:confused:

mph...
    and thats on GPS as well451343.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Kilomiles?
    km/h or mph.

Although I'd love to see what a kilomile was :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

mph...
    and thats on GPS as well451343.jpg

you'll probably need to move away from opel to break the 131 mark :D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

ELM327 wrote: »
    Kilomiles?
    km/h or mph.

Although I'd love to see what a kilomile was :D:D

:pac::pac:
    Smart arse!

With all my wing talk I've been thinking of changing the indicators from black to amber:

451345.jpg

I'm quite certain my e46 came with silver corners rather than the above, but I think they actually look rather well in amber... hmmmm.

tossy wrote: »
    mph...
    and thats on GPS as well

you'll probably need to move away from opel to break the 131 mark :D:P
    or upgrade to VXR box / Insignia box to reach the 150mph mark :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

With all my wing talk I've been thinking of changing the indicators from black to amber:

451345.jpg

I'm quite certain my e46 came with silver corners rather than the above, but I think they actually look rather well in amber... hmmmm.

They’re sort of ironically cool now. In that a lot of people do the default upgrade to clear fronts and clear indicator or LED rears. The fact that yours is a coupe and a 325 would mean nobody would mistake it for a 316i

I’d say go for it!

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They’re sort of ironically cool now. In that a lot of people do the default upgrade to clear fronts and clear indicator or LED rears. The fact that yours is a coupe and a 325 would mean nobody would mistake it for a 316i

I’d say go for it!

Just looking on ebay for parts now. It's so true though, there's no chance I would have gone to ambers when I bought the car 6 years ago. But 99% of e46's you see on the road these days have removed the amber corners and gone for the silver or black ones. Slowly heading back to being original!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Oh yeah, you're all at the Amber craic now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

N11 Southbound closed just outside Enniscorthy,3 car RTC, Ambulances on scene and Helicopter has landed on the road. Reports that it's a bad crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Oh yeah, you're all at the Amber craic now :pac:

Amber indicators since 06, long before it became a fad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

New EU mandated car safety features for all cars by 2021.
    One new regulation is sure to cause some anger among future car owners.

Safe Mobility:

While road fatalities have more than halved since 2001, 25,300 people still lost their lives on EU roads in 2017 and another 135,000 were seriously injured. The Commission is therefore taking measures with strong EU added-value to contribute to safe roads and to a Europe that protects. The Commission is proposing that new models of vehicles are equipped with advanced safety features, such as advanced emergency braking and lane-keeping assist system for cars or pedestrian and cyclists' detection systems for trucks (see full list here). In addition, the Commission is helping Member States to systematically identify dangerous road sections and to better target investment. These two measures could save up to 10,500 lives and avoid close to 60,000 serious injuries over 2020-2030, thereby contributing to the EU's long-term goal of moving close to zero fatalities and serious injuries by 2050 ("Vision Zero").
    And what exactly do they demand in new cars from then on?
    Advanced emergency braking (cars)
    Alcohol interlock installation facilitation (cars,vans, trucks, buses)
    Drowsiness and attention detection (cars, vans,trucks, buses)
    Distraction recognition / prevention (cars, vans,trucks, buses)
    Event (accident) data recorder (cars and vans)
    Emergency stop signal (cars, vans, trucks, buses)
    Full-width frontal occupant protection crash test -improved seatbelts (cars and vans)
    Head impact zone enlargement for pedestrians and cyclists -safety glass in case of crash (cars and vans)
    Intelligent speed assistance (cars, vans, trucks,buses)
    Lane keeping assist (cars, vans)
    Pole side impact occupant protection (cars, vans)
    Reversing camera or detection system (cars, vans,trucks, buses)
    Tyre pressure monitoring system (vans, trucks,buses)
    Vulnerable road user detection and warning on front and side of vehicle (trucks and buses)
    Vulnerable road user improved direct vision from driver’s position (trucks and buses)

"Intelligent speed assistance". It knows the speed limit and you will be limited to it. And it will be mandatory for every single new car in the EU by 2021.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-3708_en.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

It won't be too long before those limits are mapped out of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

tcawley29 wrote: »
    It won't be too long before those limits are mapped out of them

...which will be considered a safety modification and insurance companies will investigate to see whether or not this feature was disabled in the event of an accident.

...which will be considered a safety modification and insurance companies will investigate to see whether or not this feature was disabled in the event of an accident.

Nobody is arguing that at all but there is always the chancers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sales of old classic cars will go through the roof :pac:
    Insurers will look after their owner's wallets accordingly. :cool:

Breaking the speed limit for swift overtaking on single carriageway roads is a necessity imo.

Augeo wrote: »
    Breaking the speed limit for swift overtaking on single carriageway roads is a necessity imo.

100% agree with this. In my opinion the less amount of time spent on the wrong side the better

It could be said though that if you have to break the speed limit to overtake you shouldn't be overtaking in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It could be said though that if you have to break the speed limit to overtake you shouldn't be overtaking in the first place.
    If I'm overtaking and there's a sudden obstacle, or oncoming vehicle appears,I wouldnt like the car to limit the speed with which I can complete my maneuver

What about the countless knobs who speed up when you go to overtake and slow down if you abandon your choice and wait behind.
    Sometimes the speed is necessary.

What about the countless knobs who speed up when you go to overtake and slow down if you abandon your choice and wait behind.
    Sometimes the speed is necessary.

I agree. I was just saying that it could be said :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sometimes shotgun is necessary.

FYP ;)

I'd prefer to get a left hand drive car and do this all day with a friend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I'd prefer to get a left hand drive car and do this all day with a friend :)

Actually did that on the autobahn to a campervan :D

He was on our left NeilW on here was my passenger with a 'spare' steering wheel, we drove up along side him, Neil made eye contact with the passenger in the camper van and swered to hit him with his fake steering wheel lol the passenger in the campervan nearly jumped onto the drivers knee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

On the speed limiter discussion, it's one of those things that is 100% going to happen. The tech is there and there is no real justification for it not happening.

I regularly bend the speed limit on national roads and set the cruise a few notches above where it really should be. Most cars now are capable of double the speed limit, and I would have a hard time arguing with anyone why I should own a car that can do more than 100mph.

On the safe over taking, most cars I have driven that have a speed limit function will disable the limiter when the throttle is fully depressed. This would allow the speed limit to be exceeded where it is necessary for a misjudged overtake. But it would also make trying to maintain a speed above the limit pretty unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's the deal then with cop cars, ambulance etc.....

Bee baw bee baw pass by at 50km/h and get to emergency in a few hours....

What's the deal then with cop cars, ambulance etc.....

Bee baw bee baw pass by at 50km/h and get to emergency in a few hours....
    Disable it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Disable it...

Yes I know but just saying...

Like in USA some regions limited to 100 mph for cops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

ongarite wrote: »
    New EU mandated car safety features for all cars by 2021.

It's only a proposal so far. If they were to fit all of that stuff to cars it would massively increase the price of smaller cars which are more CO2 friendly and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

https://www.amazon.com/Insulation-Tape-Electrical-19mm-Black/dp/B004CSC4W8

Most of these things are visual-based.

I know, because the Kadjar continuously misreads the reduced limits on motorwarway slips as the motorway limit on pasing them.

Also. Randomly auto-braking cars on the motoray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,496 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dartz wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/Insulation-Tape-Electrical-19mm-Black/dp/B004CSC4W8

Most of these things are visual-based.

I know, because the Kadjar continuously misreads the reduced limits on motorwarway slips as the motorway limit on pasing them.

Also. Randomly auto-braking cars on the motoray.

Typo? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Borken keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Parents are gone off on holidays today and my dad said to me his car will be at home so at least I will have something incase the clutch goes in my one again he ended up getting a new A6 as a rental :pac: see if it will convert him.

I am sure he will want one by the time he gets one understandable Audi being the best cars out there and all that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CIP4 wrote: »
    Parents are gone off on holidays today and my dad said to me his car will be at home so at least I will have something incase the clutch goes in my one again he ended up getting a new A6 as a rental :pac: see if it will convert him.

I am sure he will want one by the time he gets one understandable Audi being the best cars out there and all that :D

Spent some time in a new Arteon today. Some amount of tech on new cars these days.

bazz26 wrote: »

Second clutch is perfect though although there is only about 12k km on it :) I will surely push 30k km out of this one :pac:

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Spent some time in a new Arteon today. Some amount of tech on new cars these days.

I really like them probably my favourite car in that segment but they are quite expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CIP4 wrote: »
    I really like them probably my favourite car in that segment but they are quite expensive.

This can only go one way.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This can only go one way.

You can like a car without actually buying one :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Speaking of things which are annoying nanny-things, I've discovered that my 550 won't let me move the car with the door open. Any attempt to do so puts the car back in park.

I occasionally leave the door open a tad to see straight down, especially when in precision parking environments such as my garage.

If you put your seat belt on it will let you move the car with the door open.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement