Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD dont want to renew my insurance...

Options
  • 26-09-2016 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi All,

I wonder if any of you`s may have some advice for me what to do now, as I am seriously p***ed with FBD!

I am insuring my car with FBD since 2009 - never had any claims until two years ago, when I was involved in small accident. Nobody got hurt and as I've spend extra money on "No Claim Bonus protection" on my account I haven't lost any discounts. Unfortunately for me this 2 years claim is still open. After that accident my insurance was renewed again without any problems, all payments on time, etc.

A year later I got court summons for this accident - this really surprised me as there was no reason for it. Judge obviously agreed with me as his first question was "why is this case even in court?" - Garda officer didn`t really know himself, muttered "its obviously mistake, this shouldn't even be here" - and Judge dismissed the case immediately. I have never received confirmation of that, but I was told that it`s normal.

Now, in few weeks time my insurance is up for renewal, so obviously I was waiting for a new quote (expecting like double) - but two weeks ago I have received really nasty letter from FBD underwriting department, ordering me to deliver them documents below:

1) filled out proposal form
    2) NCT certificate
    3) Car Registration Certificate
    4) My driving licence scanned on both sides
    5) copy of court letter confirming my prosecution has been dismissed.

This letter stated that if they wont receive this documents in 10 days from date of this letter they will not offer me renewal. It was all very demanding and official, and it was already 2 days after the date of this letter so I have called them immediately, to inform them that I don`t have court letter and I will need more time to get it. I was told by very nice and polite man, that I should not worry as there is still over a month left for renewal and this 10 day is only to scare people. Also he told me that if I wont get a court letter I should just send remaining documents, and he will put the note that court letter will be delivered when I will get it. I stopped panicking then, got rest of documents ready and contacted court. They told me that they are providing this kind of documents only when requested and I have to pay extra to get it. I took half day off and went to the court, where I`ve payed document fee and I was told that it may take even up to a few weeks, as it has to be signed personally by judge.
    After that I went to post office to send other papers. Just before that I panicked, and rang FBD again but then another nice person told me that his colleague already left a note on my account that documents are on its way, and court letter will be delivered later - and I should not worry, so feeling better again I have posted all other documents (still day before end of deadline)
    Today in the morning, I have received a letter saying that because they have not received my documents in 10 days my policy will cease soon and I have to look for another insurance company.
    I was furious, as I've been told twice that I shouldn't worry about this 10 days, not to mention that there is no way to get court letter in 10 days.
    I rang them immediately and first I've been told the same, that they cant renew my policy, but after a bit of argument and team leader involvement I was told that they will recheck it and if documents are there they will review this case. At this stage I don`t really trust them, as it really feels like they are looking just for an excuse to get rid of me - so I am thinking what are my options - my claim is still opened (I was told they are closing it soon but I don`t trust them any more) so what are my chances to get insurance somewhere else?

Sorry for this rant, I just feel very angry and dissapointed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

poxon wrote: »
    Hi All,

I wonder if any of you`s may have some advice for me what to do now, as I am seriously p***ed with FBD!

I am insuring my car with FBD since 2009 - never had any claims until two years ago, when I was involved in small accident. Nobody got hurt and as I've spend extra money on "No Claim Bonus protection" on my account I haven't lost any discounts. Unfortunately for me this 2 years claim is still open. After that accident my insurance was renewed again without any problems, all payments on time, etc.

A year later I got court summons for this accident - this really surprised me as there was no reason for it. Judge obviously agreed with me as his first question was "why is this case even in court?" - Garda officer didn`t really know himself, muttered "its obviously mistake, this shouldn't even be here" - and Judge dismissed the case immediately. I have never received confirmation of that, but I was told that it`s normal.

Now, in few weeks time my insurance is up for renewal, so obviously I was waiting for a new quote (expecting like double) - but two weeks ago I have received really nasty letter from FBD underwriting department, ordering me to deliver them documents below:

1) filled out proposal form
    2) NCT certificate
    3) Car Registration Certificate
    4) My driving licence scanned on both sides
    5) copy of court letter confirming my prosecution has been dismissed.

This letter stated that if they wont receive this documents in 10 days from date of this letter they will not offer me renewal. It was all very demanding and official, and it was already 2 days after the date of this letter so I have called them immediately, to inform them that I don`t have court letter and I will need more time to get it. I was told by very nice and polite man, that I should not worry as there is still over a month left for renewal and this 10 day is only to scare people. Also he told me that if I wont get a court letter I should just send remaining documents, and he will put the note that court letter will be delivered when I will get it. I stopped panicking then, got rest of documents ready and contacted court. They told me that they are providing this kind of documents only when requested and I have to pay extra to get it. I took half day off and went to the court, where I`ve payed document fee and I was told that it may take even up to a few weeks, as it has to be signed personally by judge.
    After that I went to post office to send other papers. Just before that I panicked, and rang FBD again but then another nice person told me that his colleague already left a note on my account that documents are on its way, and court letter will be delivered later - and I should not worry, so feeling better again I have posted all other documents (still day before end of deadline)
    Today in the morning, I have received a letter saying that because they have not received my documents in 10 days my policy will cease soon and I have to look for another insurance company.
    I was furious, as I've been told twice that I shouldn't worry about this 10 days, not to mention that there is no way to get court letter in 10 days.
    I rang them immediately and first I've been told the same, that they cant renew my policy, but after a bit of argument and team leader involvement I was told that they will recheck it and if documents are there they will review this case. At this stage I don`t really trust them, as it really feels like they are looking just for an excuse to get rid of me - so I am thinking what are my options - my claim is still opened (I was told they are closing it soon but I don`t trust them any more) so what are my chances to get insurance somewhere else?

Sorry for this rant, I just feel very angry and dissapointed.

You'll get more responses in this purpose made thread;

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057482518/133/#post101136502

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

These letters are usually sent automatically by the system if the documents haven't been received. What ever you do make sure to get the policy renewed as no other company will touch you until the claim is settled. I assume there are personal injuries involved in the claim of it's going on this long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Holy fvck.... weeks left on your policy and you need to magic this up right now?

I thought they should at least allow you the duration of the policy to sort it out.

If you got this sorted and got 6penalty points in the door the week after they wouldn't be long saying the renewal of your policy depends on the circumstances at renewal time.
    They would hardly say "ah sure don't worry about that we sorted out the other thing well in advance we'll just leave the penalty points slide it's a bit too close to the renewal date to be worth the hassle"

KC161 wrote: »
    You'll get more responses in this purpose made thread;

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057482518/133/#post101136502

IMHO this is well worth a thread of its own.

IMHO this is well worth a thread of its own.

The OP might as well get on to Saul T Nutzz unless he looks in here then. He works in the insurance industry and is a great help on the other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Just be firm and polite with them. Do you have names for the first people you called in FBD? I'd guess these are just auto responses from the system, so deal with the people.

KC161 wrote: »
    The OP might as well get on to Saul T Nutzz unless he looks in here then. He works in the insurance industry and is a great help on the other thread.

Your being very dismissive of cplwhisper and Sue pa key pa and the other guy.... blank, sorry.

Your being very dismissive of cplwhisper and Sue pa key pa and the other guy.... blank, sorry.

Oh right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The 10 day timeframe is not designed to scare you, it is meant as a tool to get you working on the request ASAP. They can refuse to renew your policy if you fail to produce the documents prior to renewal, but you really need to give them as much time as you can with the papers, to ensure they don't deliver a last minute shock to you

Did you have a solicitor in court? Could he write a letter stating it was dismissed and you've applied for the formal notification? It sounds as if you feel intimidated by the request, but it really is a standard audit and review. It can feel very personal.

In your very specific circumstances, Saul may be better placed to assist by PM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just be firm and polite with them. Do you have names for the first people you called in FBD? I'd guess these are just auto responses from the system, so deal with the people.

^^^^^this. x 1,000,000,000

...the FIRST thing in any phone conversation with any insurance company, state body.......anyone really is..........'..and may I get your name please ?' And if the reply is unclear, muttered or just plain meh, repeat yourself, asking for spelling if necessary.

And no 'Mary' or 'Brian' isn't enough, get the surname.

You'll receive a markedly different response to the rest of your conversation than if you didn't..........when people think there is a path back to them, they'll be on their best behaviour.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement